ID:92169

I just want an opinion on some questions about teams that freelance;

1.Do you think if you're scammed and not paid and the person has your work you have a right to release the work publicly within a week of no payment?

2.What is a regular rate of payment per icon?

3.How do you prefer to be paid, what system works most efficiently for you?

4.Have you every been fired/quit from a job? Why? Explain?

That's really it, I just wanted to see what is average around here as I've seen many of the weirdest things happen. If you're answering the questions I might aswell also.

1.I personally think it is fair to release within a week. Let's think in a professional perspective for a moment here, if you're in a company and you have annouced a payment date then you have to pay said person said amount earned in the said date. I can understand if maybe well you couldn't get online, had to work late, etc. So I would give about a week for the money to be transferred to my Paypal then without notice I would release the Pixel Art to the public and my portfolio.

2.I think it definitely matters on what your doing. Some things are more of a hassle than others.

3.I prefer Paypal because it is a quick way to get paid and pay people. I've been using the system for years without one single transaction problem occuring.

4.Yes, I was fired because *said person* was trying to cram a lot of stuff into one week. He really didnt give specifics of the Pixel Art and just gave me a list, and said DO THIS BEFORE TOMORROW! He was very disorganized to me and needed to put himself into y perspective of having school and work. To me I was working at an exceptional rate but he though otherwise. In the end out of respect and dignity I gave him respect and a full refund our services, and added the Pixel Art I did for him to my portfolio.
1. I wouldn't hand the work over before the client was able to pay in the first place.

2. There is no set rate per icon, It is to every artist there own.

3. Paypal.

4. Never been fired, Quit due to other commitments but always left on good terms.
1) This actually happened to me once. I simply deleted the snippet I made and went on with my life. The thing is, I told the guy to pay 50% of what he owed me before I would give him the snippet he needed. He refused to do so. Do you have the right to release it? Sure, it's your work and he refused to pay.

3) I believe I'm different than most programmers here. I basically allow the customer to select a price he/she wants to pay, if it is reasonable, I'll accept the offer.

4) Programming-wise, no.
I hate thats it's a line of untrustfulness because you dont trust him/her when you hand in the work you might not get paid you want pay in advnce, then since artist get paid a lot they dont trust us. It's Simply Complicated...
Max.Rector wrote:
I hate thats it's a line of untrustfulness because you dont trust him/her when you hand in the work you might not get paid you want pay in advnce, then since artist get paid a lot they dont trust us. It's Simply Complicated...

It's just business.
Chris-g1 wrote:
Max.Rector wrote:

It's just business.

Agreed. That's why you have examples of your art, programming, whatever. You have to earn his/her trust by eperience.

I would just recommend Escrow, you refuse to start work until Escrow holds the necessary funds. This ensures that the buyer is at least serious about paying you in the first place. For the buyer it means they haven't actually paid you until they okay the work, but at the same time they can't easily pull out of the deal (I mean they're welcome to, but they will have already incurred an Escrow charge).

Payment finally goes ahead when they okay it, at which point I'd say all transactions are final. It seems a common mistake on BYOND seems to be people bending over backwards to please unreasonable customers.
Stephen001 wrote:
I would just recommend Escrow, you refuse to start work until Escrow holds the necessary funds. This ensures that the buyer is at least serious about paying you in the first place. For the buyer it means they haven't actually paid you until they okay the work, but at the same time they can't easily pull out of the deal (I mean they're welcome to, but they will have already incurred an Escrow charge).

Payment finally goes ahead when they okay it, at which point I'd say all transactions are final. It seems a common mistake on BYOND seems to be people bending over backwards to please unreasonable customers.

I've never heard of Escrow, it definitely sounds reasonable. I might use it someday, aslong as the transactions are fast I would try it. This is the problem, how to get everyone to try it?

Troy1121 wrote:
Stephen001 wrote:

I've never heard of Escrow, it definitely sounds reasonable. I might use it someday, aslong as the transactions are fast I would try it. This is the problem, how to get everyone to try it?

You explain to the customer what it is, give them a link to the site, and if they are interested, they'll create an account.
The transactions are fast. I use it via getafreelancer, because of work I did in PHP there.
Chris-g1 wrote:
1. I wouldn't hand the work over before the client was able to pay in the first place.

2. There is no set rate per icon, It is to every artist there own.

3. Paypal.

4. Never been fired, Quit due to other commitments but always left on good terms.

Speaking currently, Chris-g1 has been very good with me and my project. I have never hesitated to pay him and he has never hesitated to send me the icons even before payment.

I think as long as you establish some trust between programmer and artist, you don't have to worry about getting or delivering the goods.