ID:92264

Resolved
Applies to:DM Language

This issue has been resolved.
Duplicates:id:104614, id:92561
I'd like it if we could make mouse_pointer_icon larger than 32x32, mostly because I can think of a few instances where this would be useful:

Building games, where you're making an object that happens to be larger, possible a few tiles large, and you'd want to see where everything would fall into place (naturally, this means the mouse_pointer would fall on the bottom left corner).

Or, another game I had in mind, where you actually build rooms (which can be up to 9x9), adding onto a castle.

Right now, it compresses the icon into it's constraints of 32x32.
While I can't definitively say, I wouldn't be surprised if this limit was imposed by the OS.
Airjoe wrote:
While I can't definitively say, I wouldn't be surprised if this limit was imposed by the OS.

I was thinking that myself, but one can hope, right?
The pointer actually can be bigger than 32x32. They're actually scaled to world.icon_size. This is the same thing that happens with grids, and might need a similar workaround. There are already requests for such a thing for grids as well, but in spite of the similarity I think these requests are best left separate.
DivineTraveller, if you are doing something involving placing things on the map it is possible to work around the limits on the mouse.

I just uploaded a demo of an old project of mine that has an example. In it, I can place objects of any size (in terms of tile height and width), while still taking into account any objects that would block that location
I know how to do the checking, but the issue is that I would want people to be able to see the full breadth of where they're going to place something, otherwise it doesn't look as good. It's purely aesthetic.
what you can do is output an image to the player of the large icon and have it move the image to follow the player's mouse movements.
It would be nice to have built-in support for rendered mouse cursors - the cursor is hidden when the mouse is over a map control and the map control draws the mouse pointer icon at the current position. I'm sure there are many cases where you don't need the cursor to have more than 32x32 pixels, you just want it to match the size of the stretched icons.

Built-in support means this can be handled completely on the client.
If you're dealing with somewhat convoluted tile sizes (I have a project where the tiles are 48x24), then you either need to compensate by scaling or you need to draw them to fit the tile size. Either way, I'm going to end up with a cursor that looks tiny in comparison to the rest of the game.

This is VERY inconvenient.
Bumping this because I'm fairly certain this is still not a thing; my apologies if I am incorrect.

I'd clarify the request as: dimensions other than world.icon_size can be defined for the mouse_pointer_icon and its related states.
Bump?
I still want this. :(
I would really like this feature. I being able to manipulate the mouse is super important. Could we at least make it inherit the size of the icon that we are passing?

Example of my issue: http://i.imgur.com/2wJ1fxu.gif

It doesn't look bad but I would rather not have the reduction in size.
In response to Mouchy
It's actually significantly worse if you have a much smaller tile size than your item icons.

My project looks pretty terrible with this, since I use 32x32 item icons with a 16x16 tile size. :[
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
Yeah, its really odd that this variable isn't accessible.

I had planned on doing like AOE attacks and transforming the mouse into an icon covering x amount of tiles. Sorta like a visual indicator of what would affected but now I am sorta stuck on how to visually represent AOE attacks.
Lummox JR resolved issue
See id:1917226 for the resolution to this issue.