ID:92647

Redundant
Applies to:Dream Maker

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
One way I thought about doing pixel movement was to change the main grid to the game. Leaving icons at 32x32 but having a way to change the grid to 16x16 or any value the coder desires. The 32x32 tiles will be come 2x2 tiles in this system and atoms would appear to only move half a block. This is just an illusion though as they are moving a full block, only the blocks are smaller while the turfs appear to full size.
How would you want hit detection or things like get_step() to work?
If you only want it to work as a graphical "illusion" it would be more than easy to make yourself. Especially now that it might actually work in an online setting.
Falacy wrote:
How would you want hit detection or things like get_step() to work?
If you only want it to work as a graphical "illusion" it would be more than easy to make yourself. Especially now that it might actually work in an online setting.

get_step() and the like wouldn't change as the grid is still there, it just is a smaller grid.
Dpheonix7 wrote:
get_step() and the like wouldn't change as the grid is still there, it just is a smaller grid.

Unless they change the mapping system to handle the smaller "grid" sizes (which I really don't see as being very difficult) then it wouldn't be the same.
Even if a single turf was broken down into 4 "grid" turfs, that would still leave graphical problems with modifying them, coordinate problems with referencing them, and would leave it rather ineffective in density and other similar checks.
Well I almost found a way to do this using byond's current system, but ran into problems with how overlays work. Could allow us more area to work in if we could have a 64x64 icon actually be the whole mob instead of just the 32x32 corner of it.