ID:92752

Hi, I haven't posted much on my blog in a while and I figured that for all the people who do care I'd sort of let them know what I've been up to. I sort of ran out of time to play on BYOND, it is afterall a hobby but I know a lot of people were not too happy with me disapearing. Some people thought I would be able to come back eventually (or more often than not, didnt realize I was inactive and would send me youtube/e-mail/skype/msn etc messages asking to be unbanned or giving me suggestions please keep in mind I will not be unbanning you or anything like that.)

So why did I sort of relinquish control of GOA and as Anime guild moderator to become more or less inactive? In summary: school ended. It is an amazing thing how much free time comes with University and I had a blast during school and had lots and lots of free time. I quit BYOND the first time (and left Gekisen as well) when Highschool ended, after getting my bearings and realizing that university is not a huge time occupier I came back with a year of Computer Science and Business under my belt. I thought perhaps I could do something better than my first project (which I never intended to be more than a few gameplay tweaks) and make a new game. I made GOA because I was so disappointed by the lack of creative changes made between Dragonball Zeta and the NBOTLS flood, the game was supposed to demonstrate some proof of concepts to hopefully give some ideas to existing projects (WOTS mainly) Graphical HUDs instead of verbs, removal of input windows, targeting + angle based projectiles, use of skilltrees, etc. The game was a hobby and the graphics and programming were just made by me.

It wasnt supposed to be a big project but after a few days of hosting I had a volunteer army with a good server host, graphic artists, and eventually Kobata joined the team as a co-programmer/server manager. I just want everybody to understand how out of hand and out of scope GOA got. Anyway I decided to launch the sandbox demo into its own game, one that could stand up on its own (it was a one level PvP sandbox at this point). Originally I started this game during the summer, no school and I figured I couldnt work on BYOND games during school.. this turned out to only be partially true. I set a summer long (4 month) deadline to start and finish the game thinking that would be it. So understand that I don't really think I've ducked out on everybody prematurely as after the game was completed new update ideas and patches rolled out on a fairly consistent basis. Now though, I'm out in the world now working full time at a very challenging but fulfilling job, there are a lot of big challenges for me in the next few years (Designations require a lot of work.) and with that in mind I knew it was time and I silently handed over the management duties to Kobata.

I kind of left abruptly though.. I do apologize. Its amazing how much the community makes you feel like your canceling Christmas when you tell them that you've stopped working on a project. I have had a lot of fun though, I feel like I haven't squandered the opportunity I was given by Tom to make some big changes to the Anime guild, and I feel like the various people who I brought on-board to make those changes possible have really done a good job maintaining higher standards for BYOND. I remember when I took the position everybody was outraged and thought I would try and be king of Byond:Anime and etc. I absolutely understood why they would suspect that but I am glad that I was able instead to just make some abrupt and needed changes and leave the community accessible to be moderated by the actual people who participate in the community itself; a dictatorship never really did any good for BYOND Anime.

Anyway, for those who care I'm past the half year mark for my new job. Its a hard job, its stressful and during busy season it has really long hours.. but I'm actually really happy to be busy and to be learning new things. I will be around the community, I still have time to blog, I hope to hear about some new projects eventually too!

Also, as a general point, I would like to say that while there are quite a few trolls and lame people on BYOND, I've been very happy with the enthusiasm and high energy from the majority of people on BYOND. Sure most of the time its rage energy, but I've always been the sort who appreciates something that is interesting as opposed to stagnant, and BYOND you are always good for some drama and extreme excitement regarding new projects.

tl;dr: I'll be lurkin'.

Interesting.
Masterdan: Grand Offline Adventure
I can't wait til I get my membership back so I can start naying posts like this.
Hulio-G wrote:
I can't wait til I get my membership back so I can start naying posts like this.

You mean my personal blog? Well lets just hope nobody is ever stupid enough to pay you for services again and youll never be able to afford a membership.
SuperAntx wrote:
Masterdan: Grand Offline Adventure

Damn. Can I steal that? Its way better than my title.
"Also, as a general point, I would like to say that while there are quite a few trolls and lame people on BYOND, I've been very happy with the enthusiasm and high energy from the majority of people on BYOND. Sure most of the time its rage energy, but I've always been the sort who appreciates something that is interesting as opposed to stagnant, and BYOND you are always good for some drama and extreme excitement regarding new projects."

That's always been a reason I love the BYOND community as well.

Hey Dan, good luck.
Masterdan wrote:
Hulio-G wrote:

You mean my personal blog? Well lets just hope nobody is ever stupid enough to pay you for services again and youll never be able to afford a membership.

ROFL
you do know that people get auto banned for using a guest char right -_- so you have like 100 or more people banned for no reason -_-
Tac wrote:
you do know that people get auto banned for using a guest char right -_- so you have like 100 or more people banned for no reason -_-

Isnt that an issue youd want to tell Kobata about? It doesnt sound like something he would let happen.
Masterdan wrote:
Tac wrote:

Isnt that an issue youd want to tell Kobata about? It doesnt sound like something he would let happen.

right lol ever wonder why theres no guests keys on such a popular game? the issue has been brought to his attention and he doesnt care he doesnt unban anyone period hes from wots what do you expect instead of resolving the issue he bans you from posting on the forums and this is the case for many of the players if you read the review theres a good 160 posts alot of them are complaints that they cant log in i havnt been able to in 8 months i logged in o nthe hub through fire fox and it logged me in as a guest and then i was auto ban even though i played 7 hours before that o.O i thought maybe it was the hosts settings dipic said it wasnt them so i dunno
Tac wrote:
Masterdan wrote:
Tac wrote:

right lol ever wonder why theres no guests keys on such a popular game? the issue has been brought to his attention and he doesnt care he doesnt unban anyone period hes from wots what do you expect instead of resolving the issue he bans you from posting on the forums and this is the case for many of the players if you read the review theres a good 160 posts alot of them are complaints that they cant log in i havnt been able to in 8 months i logged in o nthe hub through fire fox and it logged me in as a guest and then i was auto ban even though i played 7 hours before that o.O i thought maybe it was the hosts settings dipic said it wasnt them so i dunno

I suppose I can talk to him, I really am not a fan of this linked ban system, the big trolls now how to get around bans and all it ends up doing is banning innocent people.
Masterdan wrote:
Tac wrote:
Masterdan wrote:
Tac wrote:

I suppose I can talk to him, I really am not a fan of this linked ban system, the big trolls now how to get around bans and all it ends up doing is banning innocent people.

yeah in the last few months goa has dropped 100 players in peak hours i dunno how i got chain banned then o.O i thought it was my guest key im the only one that uses this computer odd
It seems to hover around 200 people on saturdays. Thats why i didnt think anything of it. Chain bans are too agressive regardless, If it wasnt for me respecting Kobatas management style I would have continued to use my system of purging all bans every month. We have very different philosophies on discipline.
Masterdan wrote:
It seems to hover around 200 people on saturdays. Thats why i didnt think anything of it. Chain bans are too agressive regardless, If it wasnt for me respecting Kobatas management style I would have continued to use my system of purging all bans every month. We have very different philosophies on discipline.

yeah hes from wots when they ban hammer there its for a very long time sometimes over a year i say 3 months to unban all personally
Masterdan wrote:

I like your way better
p.s:i got banned becuase i was using guest key
Masterdan wrote:
Hulio-G wrote:

Lol, damn.
Heh, I remember defending you on a couple of posts back a few years when people were so quick to bash you.
Jay2States wrote:
Masterdan wrote:
Hulio-G wrote:

Lol, damn.

we call that a troll jay
Page: 1 2 3