ID:92902

Keywords: fugrant
I'm really getting more and more disappointed when I hear more about Final Fantasy 13. I am a huge Final Fantasy fan. I love every one of them in the main bunch (1-12 minus 11).

I'm curious, does anybody here own and have played Final Fantasy 13? If so, you might be able to shed some light on this because I am getting far less excited. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably buy the game anyways.

From what I can see, the game looks more than excellent graphically, and the gameplay looks very good as well. However, it appears to lose many Final Fantasy elements.

From what I hear, you don't get an Airship. You get one for a bit, but it gets destroyed. There are also really no towns or even just little camp sites or rest stops. This sounds to me like there's absolutely no adventure aside from the main storyline. It sounds like you'd basically be walking a straight path the entire time, almost like watching a movie except you're in the movie, however you still need to do what the main character does and no more.

The fact that you don't get an airship almost kills the whole thing for me. All of the Final Fantasy games have an airship that you get to fly around at will with (whether it be a transporter-like system or actually flying). Where's the adventure outside of the storyline? I can't stand being stuck to a storyline. I want to explore and do what I will. I want to see something besides a desolate world below as well. Towns, people, adventure!

It's sounding like a really good looking game with great gameplay minus Final Fantasy. If all of this is true, then Square Enix, you've really messed this one up.
I miss the exploration bits too but I don't think it's as bad as a lot of people are saying.
Nah, people are really blowing it out of proportion. Its fun, no doubt. I hear it opens up abit later on in the game, but im far from there yet.

As of now, yeah the story is pretty linear, even the environments are more or less hallways. And yeah, there arent any towns.

This game is fun, but its making me want to play FFX (hated 12).
Overall, Gameplay is awesome, Graphics are, etc. Only downsides would be lack of exploration, such a shame since the environments look pretty amazing.

Some characters can get annoying, but its more because of the drama. Overall Id buy it, especially if you liked the others.
Final Fantasy is a straight fucking line.
If you are a bonafide FF player the lack of towns won't bother you, its basically FF without fluff. YES you do walk a mostly straight line for the first 30 hours (literally) but the illusion of having this freedom as per the other FFs is just gone. As far as I heard, there is no minigame type thing such as the golden saucer/blitzball but there is something else to do I believe besides fighting monsters in the open field area for rare items (Gran Pulse). So far, I am in this open area where I'm grinding a bit before moving on to the end portion of the game and have only seen monster hunting sidequests but there's no telling when I'll be able to proceed further due to school..
The game's linear until you reach Chapter 11, then it is free roam.

There aren't any towns, but there are small segments where you visit one and can even talk to the people there.

You don't get an airship, but you get chocobos in Chapter 11. CHOCOBOS! :)
Chocobos are nothing new, and I never used them anyways in the other games. To not have an Airship in a Final Fantasy game is definitely one, if not the worst idea Square Enix has ever come up with.
Well there are towns actually and you can talk to people in them. They are used for storyline though, and you run through them from soldiers. If you really think about it though, towns in FF games are useless. You go there talk to NPCs, they say nothing interesting, and you buy things. Now you can buy things practically whenever you want. It's not really a big deal at all. A place to rest in the game is pointless because you are fully healed after every fight.

Also, pretty much all FF games are extremely linear. Excluding the old school ones. It's all about grinding and storyline. Actual exploration in the game is a joke. Compare it to any newer FF game you want and this bodes true(excluding FFXII). I will compare linearity to FFVII since it is usually the most popular.

FFVII - Start out walk straight paths to a boss. After that walk straight paths to a train. Then you can grind in a small area, or walk a straight path to town. Storyline stuff, get on train, walk straight line to vent once off train, climb ladder, repeat same thing as you did at the beginning of the game. Fall into a church, run a straight path out of the church, run a straight path to Aeris's house. Run a straight path from Aeris's house to a town. Do basically some delivery missions, fall into a sewer. Walk straight path through sewer, walk straight path through train yard, walk straight path to boss. Walk straight path to Aeris's house, walk straight path to Shinra building. In Shinra building take elavator up, once you reach a certain floor complete a few things to continually get key card after key card, continue up. Fight a couple boss fights, ride your motorcycle out of town, boss fight, finally in the over world. Once in over world you can grind or go to the first town. All other options are pretty much void at this point except the ranch, which is pointless to go to until after the town. The game expands only slightly at points where you can go to multiple towns later. You can do this with pretty much any Final Fantasy game, some are linear all the way until the near end.

Having side quests like blitzball and such is cool, but if you really need a break from the game you could play Madden, or just do something else. I'm not going to say the game does have other side quest besides an FFXII type hunt system, because I haven't completely the game. The story is definitely enough to give you breaks in between fighting though. It eventually opens up, as much as any FF game can.

If you enjoy the series you will enjoy this game. I didn't think I would enjoy it either. Especially at the beginning when you basically have no abilities or leveling. As it opens up more and more it gets way better.

I also would believe most of the negative things you are hearing about the game. I believed these things as well, and most of them turned out to not be true. The ones that were true, seemed more like complaining after playing the game(no towns). It's hard to please everyone, but in my opinion this game is worth it. You can only find that out for yourself though. I would rent it or barrow it from a friend if you aren't sure.
My main issue is not having an airship to fly. One of my favorite things about Final Fantasy games were the various vehicles you could use (before X-XII. But even those had an airship). Also, my favorite ones -are- the ones before FFVII. VII and on I get really annoyed by how hard it is and how long it takes for the game to actually get rolling. You go through so much crap you don't want to deal with, then you finally get some freedom. Ever since FF went 3D, all Square could think about were graphics and gameplay. Clearly they haven't lost this mindset, despite how much criticism they get for it.
Meh you probably want to wait for FF15 then, the guy over FF said that 13 was lacking in some aspects in some part due to creating a new engine so they should be able to do more with the next one...But yeah, try it; it's not a horrible game by any means.
It's a bit of a button smasher for the first few hours of gameplay. All you have to do is hit Auto, and Paradigm shift when someone's about to die.
Well of course you can't compare any of the FF 3D series to the 2D series. The same goes for most series that continued on from the NES/SNES era. Back then since there really weren't much to graphics the game had to have outstanding playability. Now with graphics getting better and better most companies are competing graphic wise not quality wise.
Oh yeah, surprisingly no one has brought this up despite talk about the supposed lack of story..Did anyone who thought the story sucked go through the datalog and read all the entries? 13 actually goes about describing each event that takes place in the game as well as bios on the characters..Pretty much a in game encyclopedia without having to buy a strategy guide for said info..
I had no idea what was going on for the first 2 hours of the game until I caught up on the datalog. Definitely recommend keeping up with it regularly. It fills in a lot of the bits the characters neglect to mention.
I own FFXIII and it is fun. When you are starting out it is kind of boring because you don't have any abilites or weapons, but as you go on it gets cooler.
Just get the game fugsnarf, you'll like it.
I have it, and I really like it, it’s just the first chapter is kind of slow but afterwards it get good and it keeps you guessing. Don't let what other people tell you about a game ruin what you think of it before you even get it, whether it’s a game or movie or anything else. So I suggest getting it.

And in case you didn't know, the original Final Fantasy was created to get Square Soft off the brink of Bankruptcy.