ID:93375

Ok so i have been reading many negative posts about the "share with facebook" feature that was recently added to BYOND and i have come up with a small list showing results of the pro's and con's below. If you don't use Facebook that is fair enough but why disable the link? Note this is not a post attempting to add fuel to the fire, i just want to point out that this is a positive thing.

Pro's

- A wider audience to aim your blog posts too(If you are not looking to aim your blog posts to others why are you blogging at all.)
- Potentially increasing the size of the communuity
- Helping fund the free software we use leading to more updates etc...
- Just all around more publicity for BYOND.

Con's

Still trying to find some.

So what is the problem again?
Why make a new post? I mean I know you can, and you have the right to but why not just comment in one of the existing ones, or go into a chat room like Chat, or Artemis and ask this?
They want to be a rebel, BYONDers hate small changes, and so on.

I think most of the negative feedback came from when Bootyboy suggested the silly idea of 'front page' banning those who refuse to enable this feature. Overall, I have yet to find any cons, but just let people do what they wish, even though they have no logical reason. The constant bickering between both sides is not accomplishing BYOND's goal, expanding and becoming more profitable.
Rhenishan wrote:
Why make a new post? I mean I know you can, and you have the right to but why not just comment in one of the existing ones, or go into a chat room like Chat, or Artemis and ask this?

Because i wish to post to a wider audience, which is the whole point of the share on facebook link, you will learn this eventually.
con: everyone thinking you're a narufag when they come check the website out <.<
Ruben7 wrote:
con: everyone thinking you're a narufag when they come check the website out <.<

^this. Plus, who wants their friends reading a blog not meant for them? I would write differently if I knew people I actually know were going to read it.
Jeff8500 wrote:
Ruben7 wrote:

^this. Plus, who wants their friends reading a blog not meant for them? I would write differently if I knew people I actually know were going to read it.

So you don't want to be linked on Facebook because you don't want people to see what you do as a hobby? Ok, fair enough, but there are people that may want to, You are already posting to a community, why cant they allow others to see it also leading to growth of the whole community in one way or another? Which brings me to the point of disabling the link is rather silly since it is not effecting anyone being there, just giving people an additional option.
Jeff8500 wrote:
Ruben7 wrote:

Dude, that does not happen. The information is relayed to the friends of the people who clicked the link. Not yours.
Both sides are acting really stupid, this is a non-issue. If I don't want a Facebook link on my blog, that's my decision. I pay for the blog, not you. Why should you care?

Seriously, the Facebook link has become the lapelle pin of BYOND. It's such a stupid thing to fight over, it blows my mind.

If you really want to help BYOND then you should make a good game or start donating!
I don't know how many people particularly care if you have share links disabled. It's kind of ridiculous as there are a lot of wrong assumptions about how Facebook works going around, but it's up to you.

What people got upset about was Bootyboy's notion of removing advertising on the front page. Some of those disabling their links feel entitled.
ACWraith wrote:
Jeff8500 wrote:
Ruben7 wrote:

Dude, that does not happen. The information is relayed to the friends of the people who clicked the link. Not yours.

Ah, I didn't know that; I never use Facebook's share option. Ever.
ACWraith wrote:
Some of those disabling their links feel entitled.

I was under the impression one of the main reasons to buy membership was so your posts were featured on the front page.