ID:93388

Aside from the Tomba! series, I generally don't like platformers. However, I figured I'd share some more recent games that I find tolerable.

Specter Spelunker Shrinks has instant death, but many checkpoints. I find the shrink and growth mechanic intriguing.

REDDER is an open world platformer. As you collect crystals, the game's sound and graphics start (intentionally) glitching out. While there is instant death, jumps were never too difficult and warp points were always nearby. The game is more about navigating and changing switches.

I had a hard time finding a decent video. This one appears to be going a bit fast and doesn't have sound.

Then, of course, there's the IGF award winner, Continuity. The focus in on solving sliding puzzles. You can get killed, but you'll respawn in the same tile so it's not especially frustrating.
I don't know if it's just me or your CSS, but I loved the videos, despite having to use the actual YouTube site to view them. (Black is your Transparent Color, which is also a color used in the videos so it cuts a few things off.)
Yeah, it's not you. My CSS is funky. The problem is that the opacity of a container overrides any changes made to the sections inside. Either everything can be transparent or nothing can. It's more noticeable whenever I post pictures or videos. =(
CSS doesn't allow for a container to be translucent without affecting what's inside. There is a simple workaround: Give the container a background that's a partially transparent .png file. You can do that with a one-pixel image. The down side is browsers may not handle rounded corners correctly in this case, but for the sake of readability I'd say it's worth it.
cool finds. :)
Then, of course, there's the IGF award winner, Continuity. The focus in on solving sliding puzzles. You can get killed, but you'll respawn in the same tile so it's not especially frustrating.

Not especially frustrating, but at the same time, doesn't sound especially challenging either. <.<
Tiberath wrote:

Not especially frustrating, but at the same time, doesn't sound especially challenging either. <.<

It's a nice game, but here are my thoughts:

Through the first dozen or so levels, it's not at all challenging. The layouts in each of the tiles is fairly simple. However, as you get further in, the game gives you more tiles, but at the same time the layouts in the tiles get needlessly complicated. That's about the point where I stopped playing.

Megaman is best.
I liked Megaman 2 back in the day. I can accept games being hard mechanically, but I can't accept them wasting the time I put into them. That's why I emphasize the number of checkpoints in the above games.

(I always prefer a system that allows me to save anywhere. Some developers abuse checkpoint systems to the point where only young children can sit down to play their creations.)
With today's emulation software you can play pretty much any old console game with a bonus quicksave feature.
Unfortunately, even if I decided to delve into the gray area of emulating games I don't own, I never developed the same nostalgia. I had 30-40 games in the 8-bit days, but the only platformers I remember are Super Mario, Super Mario 2 and Megaman 2. The latter is the only one I bothered to complete. I was much more into exploring, sessions-based games and cooperative play than pits and spikes.

PS: I'm with Acacia.