ID:93581

No this is not a review, I have not played Nestalgia enough to call this a review, I have entered the game and played for a while and felt that I was able to see the general gist of the game and I'll share my impressions:

It's pretty good.

The problem of course with Nestalgia is that it was marketed and hyped as something that would actually bring a new wave of people into BYOND and completely stir up the community and what have you. It is not up to that level, I know everybody would like to see something that lives up to a description like that, BYOND has been moving at a very slow pace in terms of game releases and general excitement and a new wave of interest in the community would have been fantastic.. but this is overly optimistic.

The good:
The game is well done, this is more than a rarity on BYOND. Almost no games ever get to the point in which they feel polished, where the game maker focuses enough on the user interface and story scenes in such a way that the player feels any sort of immersion. Not only is it hard to make a game feel like an actual nintendo era game with a consistent graphic art philosophy applied everywhere (most games hire many hobby artists whose graphic work clashes and is not consistent in terms of quality or style.).

The party system and PvP are solid implementations of a fun multiplayer component into what is supposed to be a tribute to single player Nes games, to have these features on launch day is quite a pleasant surprise, most games procrastinate on PvP support especially until the majority of the playerbase has already lost interest in the game and left. The solid release of a game that has its vital gameplay components all implemented at once is strange to see as the average hobbyist game maker usually likes to rush completed components to the public for the fame and attention and then hype up modular additions such as PvP or extra quests/classes months and months later. Silkwizard deserves props for setting an ambitious scope and implementing them before release.

It is Nostalgic. There is something that made me genuinely interested in the game when I entered the first town, I really felt a lot of good memories of my experience with games like Final Fantasy 4 which was one of my favorite games from my childhood.

Legitimate Criticisms:

The main criticism I have which isn't really a criticism but more of the main reason why I wont be investing a lot of time with Nestalgia is that its general theme and intended product is simply not something I'm interested in. It may sound silly to say this but in my opinion the concept of bringing back nintendo era JRPGs and making it online is extremely limited in what it can accomplish even with the most ambitious of programmers and graphic artists. The issue with the entire gameplay design is that JRPGs actually had the majority of their value in the fast paced story and character progression that isn't particularly compatible with the gameplay philosophies of MMORPGs. You think of a strong JRPG like Final Fantasy 4,FF6, Chrono Trigger and the like and the one thing that really stands out about these games is that they had absolutely phenomenal story, pacing and characters.

Nestalgia lacks on story, pacing and characters for the following reason:

The story is not phenomenal, and it is very difficult to make a story exceptional when the characters that comprise your party are real people. You can't build a story without character growth and involvement, so when you design the game to be online you essentially lose non-player characters altogether. What you have to do under this gameplay philosophy is essentially create a story that any single protagonist can fill.

I didn't feel very strongly for the story itself.. I didn't feel involved in the story as I was thrown in as a hero who was sent back in time with no back-story or interest in doing anything other than getting gold to buy some leather armor. I understand this is a story-telling device to get the tutorial across and that it directs you on into the story by telling you where to go but I didn't really feel immersed because I didn't really.. care about my objective at all. This happens when you simply appear from 4 red balls coming together and are spoken to telepathically by some unknown person to go to X town and talk to X npc.

Credit where it is due though, in terms of hobby game standards the fact that there is any effort to have a main quest and a story is an accomplishment, however when you consider that the game is trying to bring the love back from years of playing Nintendo and SNES JRPG then you sort of have an expectation that the story will be somewhere in the ballpark of those games, in this case the story was a very weak point for me.

Combat and grinding. Out of all the reasons that certain people will not play this game is simply that the combat is boring. You have skills and you have attack and you have items, in the name of nostalgia the game did not attempt to really innovate anything for combat and unfortunately because the story wasn't particularly compelling the game ends up feeling like an 8 bit MMORPG where you run back and forth on hostile terrain until you run into a blob, you wait your time between attacks and collect your very small experience and gold bounty. The online and PvP focus has really caused the gameplay to go on a tangent into party based creature grinding for the majority. People say that if you join a party then it isn't really grinding, but I don't really see the strength in that argument. Any time you are fighting the same opponents predictably over and over again whether it be by yourself or in a stacked team, you're grinding. Now here's the thing about that, there is this HUGE audience of people who like grinding, they are very happy having a short and a long term objective and just spending hours doing their repetitive tasks and then leveling up and moving on and socializing and what have you. These people will play this game, and they will like it a lot. There's also nothing wrong with being one of these people or having a game that appeals to these people, however for people like me who really never had an interest in MMORPGs and was hoping to see more qualities of the Nintendo RPGs of my youth, well, we will be disappointed.

I basically expected this to be the case, and its unfortunate that this isn't my type of game. Still If every game on BYOND set up an idea that they wanted to achieve and put the same effort/polish/promotion that this game had then we would have a very successful community of presentable projects. At very least a release like this should serve as an example of how to release a game and to put a focus on presentation instead of just trying to implement a bunch of half arsed features which mesh poorly with the rest of the game (a big issue with many projects on BYOND).

So Kudos, hopefully we see some new interesting projects in the upcoming months.
Nice post, Dan.
I deleted the stupid spam war that started here. If you are going to comment, please keep it on the post.

For the record, I read this is a pretty complementary critique of the game with the criticism being more about the appeal of the genre than anything else. That remains to be seen (IMO it could be very successful with the right marketing). I don't think the post deserved the backlash it received but that was most likely due to historical conflict between the involved parties. Let's nip that in the bud right now.
If you actually take a step back from NEStalgia and look at it from a distance, it really feels like Dragon Quest 2(spefically), with the Dragon Quest 3 class system mashed into it. Something I noticed a lot of people complaining about the first day was how "slow" the battle system was because of the clicking. I rather enjoy the clicking personally, it's something I've always wanted in games like FFL whenever I played them.

The story that you don't feel will be there is because of the MMO however, plays out more like a single character RPG. Just because you don't have a multi-PC team that you're controlling doesn't stop the game from assuming the story like a single player game. Each character merely sees the cutscene with him/herself as the only character in the cutscene, save for some where the cutscene doesn't directly interact with the main character, then you can see everyone.

It's really interesting though because Silk mentioned that the game was a 'parody', which Neblim took as him justying his ripped graphics, but Silk wasn't just talking about graphics. The entire game seems like a collage of older movies as well as the NES style of play. The main character is a "time traveler" from the future, come back to stop the bad guy from ruining the future. It kind of reminds me of Time Cop(1994), and the game makes references to Ghostbusters(1984) and Back to the Future(1985).

If you're worried about the lack of story or atmosphere, there isn't any, and if you're worried about the grinding, just make sure you have a party and there won't be any. With a full party you don't have to train your levels, you can just do the quests and progress the story, you'll gain adequite exp in the process to be at the correct level.

Don't think from this that I'm a huge SilkWizard fan, I have a lot of qualms with the game as well, controls, presentation, etc. I just haven't seen anyone justifiably knock the game yet to agree with them and I'm still waiting. Everyone person I've heard from knocked the game without really getting anywhere into it. Treat it like a single player RPG, talk to the NPCs, figure out what's going on. When you're playing a game, you have to actually play it.
I had at least two posts in there that directly addressed the post.

Ah well. I think they were pretty much agreeing with Dan, stating that Many people do enjoy the sort of grind you get out of this game. And I'd have to say if you follow the quests, you're "grinding" has a purpose: complete the quest, fight the boss. Now, if you rush through trying to do nothing but level, it will get really boring fairly quickly. That's not how you played an RPG back in the day, and it's not how you should play this.
Mikau wrote:

Don't think from this that I'm a huge SilkWizard fan, I have a lot of qualms with the game as well, controls, presentation, etc. I just haven't seen anyone justifiably knock the game yet to agree with them and I'm still waiting. Everyone person I've heard from knocked the game without really getting anywhere into it. Treat it like a single player RPG, talk to the NPCs, figure out what's going on. When you're playing a game, you have to actually play it.

Right, and I agree that there is more to the game for me to have played through and included as a pro/con. I simply didn't have adequate time yet to play it and wanted to sort of give my preliminary opinion on the game as I think first impressions are going to have a fairly large impact on how the game is recieved by new waves of players, and usually if you can soften the negative things people run into in the first hour of gameplay it will lead to the fleshier contents of the game getting explored and appreciated. I definately qualified my post by saying I havnt given this game adequate attention to be comfortable saying I understand the bredth of the project, but I did feel comfortable giving my opinion on the general gameplay philosophy and genre of the project which was really all I was saying might end up being a contentious point while the actual execution of adapting this type of game to BYOND I had nothing but complimentary things to say.
While in the first fifteen minutes of the game, the impression I got was pretty much the same as masterdan stated. However, when I played further, I started to have a lot more fun with it. I had to form alliances so that I wouldn't be slaughtered for my money,... I had to run away from some players,... there was finally a sense of danger and thrill. The PvP element is my favorite in this game, because it makes completing quests or even simple tasks like walking through town difficult. So, if you are like me and play games for thrill, this just may be your game.
i like the game, however to say it had a great story to it would be wrong. There were only a few cutscenes in the game and most of the quests weren't directly related to the storyline at all.
IMD wrote:
Good job deleting 70 posts, including this one.

Tom wrote:
I deleted the stupid spam war that started here. If you are going to comment, please keep it on the post.

Masterdan wrote:
usually if you can soften the negative things people run into in the first hour of gameplay it will lead to the fleshier contents of the game getting explored and appreciated.

I disagree with this because you should be enforcing the positive aspects of the game to interest players into the game, not telling them the bad aspects of it will deter players.

"One of the downsides is that the combat is slow due to using the mouse to click."

as apposed to

"Combat is really easy to manage because you can simply click everything you want to do.
Ice, there is 1 main quest that you do through the game. The story line is great, and if it were compared to other story lines (which most games don't even have) it would come out on top.
IcewarriorX wrote:
i like the game, however to say it had a great story to it would be wrong. There were only a few cutscenes in the game and most of the quests weren't directly related to the storyline at all.

The top quest in your list is the main questline, the rest are sidequests that have to do with the towns you're in. I flew over the mountains on the back of a phoenix, what did you do today?
Mikau wrote:
IcewarriorX wrote:

The top quest in your list is the main questline, the rest are sidequests that have to do with the towns you're in. I flew over the mountains on the back of a phoenix, what did you do today?

Flew over a mountain while grappled to a gas canister rocket, jumped off and propelled myself just as it exploded, grappled onto a jump jet midair, sky dived off of it into a speedboat, drove at high speeds, then parachuted myself 100ft into the air and hijacked a stunt plane midair then flew to a flying strip club and was generally being awesome.
I know about the main questline, and am still enjoying it, however as a story, its bland. Sure, it might be the best in BYOND, but that's really only being the smartest dumb kid in class.

Falacy has a game called Celestial Chaos 2 which has a similar style of cutscenes, although they offer more explanation.

It's just the whole "You're a time traveller, now fight pirates" seems weird to me.

IcewarriorX wrote:
that's really only being the smartest dumb kid in class.

You mean the smartest kid in the dumb kid class.

It's just the whole "You're a time traveller, now fight pirates" seems weird to me.

Actually, it was more "You're a time traveler sent back to stop Mardek, were on a ship with the rest of the army and got stuck in Piatta and couldn't leave because the pirates were stopping all the ships from travelling."

But hey, that amounts to the same thing, right?

I think everybody is entitled to their own opinion about the story, it is particularly a matter of taste. Trying to argue that this is an awesome story and that people who disagree are wrong is silly. I think what IcewarriorX is saying is true, the story is considered good because it has no competition. So, I still think that's an accomplishment.
Might as well take the no GMs on the GOA hub off cause there are GMs and I got banned for no reason I logged off to go on another person and I got banned..
Noob, get to the corner with yourself, that spam does not belong here.
Oh no you called me a noob and I only posted it once so its not spam
Source files for Naruto GOA:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r6sfkm