ID:93943

Keywords: byond, computer
My monitor just died. I'm typing on a relative's computer. I have no idea if I'll be able to write Tech Tree for a while. I had to go online just to figure out the keyboard shortcuts so I can shut my computer down safely.

I'm going to try hooking up my old CRT from The Half-Dead Puppy. That might get me online, but it will likely hurt my game development because I've grown used to using the space. I don't have money to get another monitor.

Apparently, this is a common problem with Gateway that it refuses to acknowledge. I've found multiple links to Monitor Depot USA in related conversations, but I don't know enough about the results to recommend them.
There are two safe ways to turn off a computer in that situation. First, check the surge protector that your computer is plugged into. There should be a glowing red switch on it somewhere. Toggle that switch, wait a couple seconds, then toggle it again. Now turn back on any other device you had plugged into the surge protector.

If you don't like that method, the second option is to locate the power button on the front of your computer. Press and hold that button until you hear the fans inside stop.

You computer is now safely de-booted.
Maybe the fuse went out in the plug?
For desktops, you can generally just tap the power button and the normal shutdown routine will take place (unless you have any pesky programs that refuse to die)

Also, you should be able to pick up a good, pre-owned 17" LCD for $50-70 USD on eBay+S&H. It might be a step-down from an HD monitor, but it's better than a huge CRT. Just make sure it's guaranteed non-DOA/Tested and Working and from a reputable seller. Or if you have a local reseller, you could save on the shipping.

I figured we owe you for all the free work you do for BYOND, so I sent some money your way.
If you can't write the tech tree this week, then I'd be more then happy to write one for this week. I'd be more then happy to do so.
I recently purchased a 22" LCD monitor at staples, 1920x1080 resolution, for $70. http://slickdeals.net

That said, you should be able to find working CRT monitors for free on craigslist, most of which should give you at least up to 1440x900, if not more. You can always dual screen!
Welcome to planned obsolescence?