ID:94050

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this is.

If you're in the dark(horrible, unintended racial pun), Every April many states in the south celebrate "Confederate Heritage Month." It's essentially celebrating the fact they lost the "Northern War of Secession" to a bunch of "God damn Yankees." This year, VA's Governor announced April 2010 would be recognized as CHM for his state, which has received national attention.

I have a quite a bit of knowledge on this, since:
A) I've lived in North Carolina for quite a while.
B) I have a few "dumb redneck" friends.
C) Somehow, I have a distant relative that died fighting for the Confederacy.

What I've learned is that this isn't quite as racially driven as it is culturally(no that doesn't make it racist, the culture isn't racist). For whatever reason, Southerners LOVE their Confederate heritage. Don't ask me why, I haven't the slightest clue. This isn't saying that their aren't racists in the field who use CHM to further their racism.

My beef with celebrating CHM is that, well, the Confederate States seceded from our great country. That's treason in every sense of the word. How can you celebrate being Benedict Arnold's descendant? It, in it's very essence, seems anti American. I've tried to explain this to the locals on more than one occasion(in vain).

I'd also like to point out that in retaliation to the heated fervor it's stirred here(locally, as it does every year), I plan on celebrating Russian Heritage Month*, complete with hammer and sickle, and a re-enactment of the Soviet Union taking Moscow while America watched. I can't wait for June

Again, thoughts on it are appreciated.

* - I'm a Russian American, and proud of it. Now, I despise communism, I love America, and my only reason for acting like a Marxist is to make a point.