ID:94057

Keywords: techtree

I thought I was making good time until I heard what sounded like thunder outside.  I'll skip my dead Gateway monitor rant just in case, but thank you to DarkCampainger and Tiberath for their recent donations.

EGUY has been busy this week.  He updated both his tile-laying game, Deus Rex, and his RTS demo, Templar.  Then he released a demo of Space Invasion.  He describes it as a two-player strategy game inspired by Space Invaders.

This post still uses an old screenshot, but Deus Rex's interface has improved.  The map borders can be adjusted with a child control and skin changes will be saved.  Unfortunately, a small verb panel is visible and there might a be a few anchor or text size issues in the menu.  That said, fixing these is simple and access to the skin means that I may even hand over some changes myself.  I think EGUY has proven that he's willing to provide updates and I don't see the point in delaying the inevitable any longer.  I've added Deus Rex to the featured list.  Go play it!

Geldonyetich submitted a review for Foomer's featured space dispute, Solar Conquest.  The short is that he likes the game.  The long is that you should read the frelling review because it's nice to have BYOND Strategy content that isn't written by me for a change...  Even if you disagree with portions like some of the comments do. ;)

Thank you for Toadfish for convincing the sucker Geldonyetich to start writing reviews.  I have a list of chores opportunities waiting.

My territorial dispute, Occupied Forces, is no longer featured by the guild.  I've been nagging other developers to improve their interfaces and this game falls below my current standards.  The colors make it hard to focus and I'd like to simplify navigation.  I'm too busy to update it right now so I'd rather give the site-wide advertising to something else.

Vexonator updated the tactical fantasy, Surreal Dreams.  I've only skimmed it over so far, but the interface has improved.  I'm going to suggest some layout changes for the help files at some point.  A child control to adjust the map size might be nice as well because there's currently no way to get rid of black boundaries when the window is maximized.

Meanwhile, is anybody really attached to the cyan color scheme?  I think taking an average of the wood texture would clash a lot less.

Geldonyetich searched for more inspiration from Bay 12 Game's Dwarf Fortress and compared it to Ginseng's abandoned strategy RPG, Dungeon Master.  Project Shock is expected to be less simulation-focused than either.  I like his excuse for giving the game a science fiction theme.

Meanwhile, Geldonyetich began an untitled project with random map generation and a some form of colony management.  His goal is to make it playable within a week.

Kokomo0020 is looking for a graphical artist (and possibly another programmer) to help with Perpes Bellum.  It's a multiplayer isometric game inspired by Command and Conquer.  The position is unpaid.  Kokomo0020 will be programming and creating the interface.

IainPeregrine will once again be hosting the Get Something Done challenge.  Throughout the month of May, developers are encouraged to take an old project and make it playable.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  Just release something!

...And maybe use the challenge to call someone out. ;)

I made a minor update to the interface of my abstract, competitive dungeon crawl, GrimTunnel.  I had planned on letting it whither, but working on Grim Prospects taught me that the changes I gave up on would have broken it anyway.

Speaking of Grim Prospects, the game finally has a hub page.  I've implemented the cards and am currently working on the basic player management.  I'm still trying to figure out how I want to handle those who quit.  Replacing them with the rudimentary AI might be preferable to having the game end.

Fooldom Come: One subscription. Many games.

I have a quite few videos bookmarked, but this hybrid of Scrabble crossed with a territorial dispute game seems too unique to pass up.

Got news? Geldonyetich mentioned Neptune's Pride in his review and I've been wanting to post this GameSetWatch interview with the developer.

I might doing something for Iain's get something done challenge and may start up my RTS again. But it depends as i might also start up my other abandoned project which was my BASG or i could convert my space game into some sort of stragety game, maybe a spaceship stimulator?
Well, aren't you a sweety for mentioning me.
Excellent...
Begin world domination!
Egads, it seems in matters of writing reviews, I've been unable to resist my natural tendency to spam duped!

I'd have written more by now but I've really been heavily occupied with trying to meet my "this game should be at least barely playable in a week" goal.

I tend to get sidetracked a lot. Perhaps that will make for an interesting story when my week is up.
Geldonyetich wrote:
I tend to get sidetracked a lot. Perhaps that will make for an interesting story when my week is up.

Make the story an allegory for the impermanence of reality and the futility in planned action and you're set!