ID:94603

Keywords: techtree

I avoid fan creations in general, but I think Blizzard is kicking themselves in the nads.

HuskyStarcraft is currently fighting an automated YouTube partnership rejection.  Aside from the two month waiting period before Husky can apply again, this isn't a rant against YouTube.  They're just protecting themselves so they won't be sued over commercial gain.  It's just like how BYOND doesn't allow automated subscriptions for fangames.

This is on Blizzard's head for their commercial use policies that don't include publicised out clauses for commentators.  Those commentators legitimize the sport outside of Korea and teach important techniques.  Their influence is not small.  Husky himself has over 45 thousand subscribers and over twelve million views.

How the frell can someone who has done that much to promote a company's product not be allowed to make money from a third party?  There is no competition.  There is no story to spoil.  No art is taken out of the context of the game.  Get over it, Blizzard.

...There's hardly any news this week.  Maybe I'll just post a rant on the Gamasutra version.

Geldonyetich has named his current project Planetbreakers.  While the placeholder graphics are ugly, he is making progress.  The colonists can now form paths and perform jobs.  The infrastructure for adding new jobs has been created.  Dynamos have been added to distribute power and portals have been added to claim sectors.

I'm curious about when others will have access to the game, but Geldonyetich is excited to have the core engine done. =)

Acebloke is wondering what project he should use to join IainPeregrine's Get Something Done Challenge.  Current BYOND Strategy games include the chess variant, Law of the Board, and the capturing boardgame, Captain.  Possible strategy RPGs include Joshtan1, a Shining Force fangame and a project with few details called Armies.  There's also mention of a boardgame called Hostile Takeover and an RTS called Barren.

Noticeably absent is an interface update for his featured boardgame, Exploder.

The following games will likely be removed by next week:

• Cow Strategy has yet to include a help file.  I let it slide because I figured updates would come soon, but it's been over a month with no progress reports.
  • Turtle Towers was kept due to developer activity for a while, but that stopped and no help file is available.

Daniel Floyd and James Portnow's recent video convinced me to finally create a factions & reputations library for an untitled action RPG project.  I'm still not sure about the basic mechanics of the game itself, but the system has been on my mind for ages.  I set aside the distraction to work on my current project.

A few notes for the action RPG, a single-screen RTS, a randomly generated team-based action game and a Webcrawl sequel later, I managed to get some work done on my mining card battle, Grim Prospects.  Enough to provide a screenshot with explanations anyway.  The details common to each phase should be complete.  The individual actions should be easy to implement next.

Fooldom Come: One subscription. Many games.

Got news? Husky is even doing live interviews.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll have something newsworthy that is SD related by next week.
Lol, wow now I got more than one of you trying to swing my development time. I think Iains got me to finish Joshtan though, perhaps next time eh? :p
Thanks for the constant plug of my challenge. :)