ID:94618

May 1st will be here in just over a week, and with it the start of this year's Get Something Done (GSD) challenge. This year there will be prizes for participation thanks to the generosity of Tetsuya and Airjoe (and maybe others, contact me if you'd like to donate any prizes). With these prizes comes the need for a fair judging process based on rules that apply to everyone.

The purpose of the GSD is to highlight the development process, which includes: Design, Implementation, Documentation, Testing and Feedback, Publishing, and Maintenance. The goal of the event is for every developer to have a finished product (a playable game) by the end of the month - because, in the end, this is all that matters. Because being able to reevaluate a project's direction and needs is such an important skill for a developer to have, I encourage all participants to fix up and publish an old abandoned project. That doesn't mean that you can't start a new project if you want to, though.

So let's talk rules:
1. Participants must choose a project and send it to me (iainperegrine[at]gmail.com) by May 7th. This can be an abandoned project, or a new project started specifically for this event; the only projects which are not acceptable are ones your are currently working on or planned to release soon anyway. If this is an old project, then you must include all project files needed to compile (if it can even be compiled) the project. (Files will not be released to anyone). You must also include a description of your goal for the project, you can be as detailed as you like. For instance, you might say: "This project will be a strategy board game with Airships; kind of like a cross between Battleship and Chess. There will be medals and, if I have enough time, hub scores."

2. Final entries must be sent to me (iainperegrine[at]gmail.com) before June 1st. All files needed to compile and play the game must be included. (Source files will not be released to anyone). Included in this email must be your key, the name of your project, and a link to the project's hub entry.

3. A hub entry must be made for the project, and the game must be playable from that hub entry.

4. The project must be finished, of sufficient scope to be considered a playable game, and must be in a state of relative polish (free from obvious bugs and other issues).

5. More rules will be added to this list as people point out things that I've forgotten. The rules will become final on May 1st.

Those are the rules. If you do not mail me your project details on time (including source files for older projects), you do not mail me the finished files on time, or you do not make a hub entry for your game, then you will be disqualified. If your entry follows all the rules then it will be considered a finished product, and you will be listed among those who finished the Get Something Done challenge for 2010!

Finished projects will also be judged and ranked compared to all other finished projects, and prizes will be awarded. Judging will be based on how polished the game is, it's level of completion, it's fun factor, and (most importantly), how well the developer was able to achieve his goals. If you want to score lots of points in this area, consider doing some of the following:

* Write a short project description at the start of the event.

* Write a Functional Specification for the project before you start programming.

* Keep a development journal and write a note in it every time you change direction with the project.

* Make a schedule based on the functional spec detailing what you'll do when, and how long it will take. Be honest. Leave yourself at least a week for bug fixing.

* Finish and publish the game early. Do public testing, gather feedback, and then update the projec. Maintenance is part of the software development process, too!

Whatever you do, make sure it doesn't interfere with your development when you're "In the Zone". Include any such documents when you send in your entry.

The challenge starts on May 1st (so don't start any work until then... promise me, okay?). Make sure you send in your project descriptions between now and the 7th. If you have any suggestions or changes you think should be made to these rules, please comment. See you again on May 1st!
I might have a problem with number 1, as i might be starting from scratch from my space game. But i'm gonna have to get all the basics done before i might have to use some of the code from that game. Does mean i am dq'ed?
Gamemakingdude wrote:
I might have a problem with number 1, as i might be starting from scratch from my space game. But i'm gonna have to get all the basics done before i might have to use some of the code from that game. Does mean i am dq'ed?

I just updated rule one: This can be an abandoned project, or a new project started specifically for this event; the only projects which are not acceptable are ones your are currently working on or planned to release soon anyway.

I hope that makes it clear. Any project is acceptable, unless you were already working on the project or planning to release it soon and just decided to try and win some money at the same time. So, for instance, Geldonyetich's game Planet Breakers would not be acceptable (because he's actively working on it), but my ancient and abandoned game Peregrine City would be.
Thank you very much! I'll send the abandoned project to you very shortly.
Looks like "Planetbreakers" was disqualified since I've been working on it for quite a while prior to May 1st. Perhaps I'll wait until May 1st and continue work on Future Shock, then?
I think I might actually join in on your challenge this time, Iain. We'll see if I can come up with any good ideas. Are fangames acceptable?
I'm not sure having abandoned projects legal is fair. I just made/started a game 4 days ago before hearing about this event. So I can't use it? And I'll have to start from scratch while someone else may have a 90% done abandoned project that just needs a little fine tuning. All I'm sayin is what makes an old abandoned project any more fair than one started early, because that's what an abandoned project is a project started early.
Question: Are not-actually-games eligible for the contest section of the thing?

I'm looking at working on the DM parser idea I've been floating for a while (and haven't touched for a few months - I have to rewrite the grammar, anyway, and probably the lexer as well). I'm not really all that interested in prizes, and obviously I don't need to wait on some arbitrary contest in order to get something done, but I'd like to get listed in the participants (And hopefully successful get-something-doners)
I have a question, I have been actively working on a concept for the pass week or so. The thing is, I have been writing this concept down in a notepad, I have yet to do anything programming or graphic related.

Would this project be disqualified if submitted?
Consider Joshtan my entry, I want it finished so I can start a sequel :p
Geldonyetich wrote:
Looks like "Planetbreakers" was disqualified since I've been working on it for quite a while prior to May 1st.

Sadly, yes. Though I feel like I should reserve a prize category just for you, should you get anything done :P

Fugsnarf wrote:
Are fangames acceptable?

Fan games are acceptable. I don't imagine any judge would be all to impressed by a standard BYONE anime rip, though. (Not that you'd do that, but I have to include the warning lest I get tons of them as entries).

VcentG wrote:
I just made/started a game 4 days ago before hearing about this event.

Send me an email with your entry. Include the source files and a description of the project. I'll make a determination as to whether or not to allow it, and send you back an email.

Jp wrote:
Are not-actually-games eligible for the contest section of the thing? [...] I'm not really all that interested in prizes, [...] but I'd like to get listed in the participants (And hopefully successful get-something-doners)

I'll definitely accept your DM parser and include you in the list of participants / challenge finishers. You won't be eligible for prizes unless there are very few games that get finished, or the people donating prizes like your entry and give you money anyway :) Just remember to send me an email with your project files and a project description.

Calus CoRPS wrote:
I have been actively working on a concept for the pass week or so.

I imagine that a lot of people have been working on concept since I announced the project. Last year I caught flak for not giving people any warning, this year I'm getting it for giving people too much. We'll get it right in 2011, eh? Send me an email with what you have. So long as you havn't started actual work on programming or graphics, etc., I don't see much of a project.

Acebloke wrote:
Consider Joshtan my entry, I want it finished so I can start a sequel :p

You win one internet.
IainPeregrine wrote:
Though I feel like I should reserve a prize category just for you, should you get anything done :P

A well-deserved zinger. ;P

I still need a bit of a judgement call done about whether or not I should resume Project Shock here.

In my last Blog entry on the project, it sounds as though I've transitioned it into being Planetbreakers, but actually that was Vehicle Wars. Project Shock was always more of a single-player perspective roguelike. It was Vehicle Wars that had the detached third person perspective. Planetbreakers was mostly based off of the Vehicle Wars code (though probably only about 25% of it remains).

Actually, here's what I'm thinking: I thought I might just pick up Project Shock and turn it into Lode Wars 2010. Project Shock technically had a top-down single-character perspective and even a queued movement system, but I never quite figured out what I was going to do with it, and Lode Wars offers an interesting solution. Would that be an acceptable focus?
If your starting a new project what do you want us to email you? Other than the description.
Geldonyetich wrote:
Would that be an acceptable focus?

I believe so. I sometimes have a hard time following your projects, but if I'm understanding your correctly, that would be fine. Just remember to plan out your project in advance, and be honest about what you'll be able to accomplish in the time allowed. Consider doing a small new project if you don't think you can finish anything you have in only a month's time.

ZMD Productions wrote:
If your starting a new project what do you want us to email you? Other than the description.

Just the description is fine.
Why're sources required for entry? I have a thing about sending my sources. Not that you're not trustworthy, but tell an OCD person to stick their hands in the mud and then not to wash their hands.
Just remember to plan out your project in advance, and be honest about what you'll be able to accomplish in the time allowed. Consider doing a small new project if you don't think you can finish anything you have in only a month's time.

Okay, I'll try to iron this out whilst keeping my grubby fingers off it until the start of the contest on May 1st.
VcentG wrote:
Why're sources required for entry? I have a thing about sending my sources. Not that you're not trustworthy, but tell an OCD person to stick their hands in the mud and then not to wash their hands.

Once prizes are involved I have to make sure that no cheating is going on. The most sure-fire way to catch cheaters is to look at the source. Judging an entry takes a long time, most of that is writing up a small review. I spend as little time as possible looking into the source. If nothing looks suspicious at first glance, I close the project and move on to the next one. I'm certainly not going to waste my being judgmental about your programming practices or naming conventions.
Good luck to whoever wins...maybe I'll enter next year with a new project.
Is it possible to do a video development journal?
Gamemakingdude wrote:
Is it possible to do a video development journal?

If it helps you, sure. The dev journal and func spec aren't for me, they're ways to help you with the development process. You'll get extra points for them because it shows me that you're putting thought into the design of your game and trying to stay on schedule. I don't know if video is the best format, but whatever works for you is best. Just make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew.
Page: 1 2