IainPeregrine wrote:
Gamemakingdude wrote:
Is it possible to do a video development journal?

If it helps you, sure. The dev journal and func spec aren't for me, they're ways to help you with the development process. You'll get extra points for them because it shows me that you're putting thought into the design of your game and trying to stay on schedule. I don't know if video is the best format, but whatever works for you is best. Just make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew.

Hmm. Thanks anyway. But i think i shall do a development log in the code itself as comments.

PS - Underworld Kid deleted your standings on Plunder Gnome and i've reported him and the scores should be restored soon.
O,o I don't think I can do this competition anyway. I mean a functional specification? Development journal? A schedule? That's not how I work... some days I'll be like "Hey I feel like doing ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL this" and do a ton of stuff, other days I'll take a break. I can't tell you when I'm going to do what because things don't happen that way for me. I never have schedules, release dates, or anything of the sort. I only say what I'm gonna do, then do it. And then later I realize, "Hey I should add this and that and that and that" To write down what I plan to do before the game's even started is impossible. Just saying. Not complaining about the rules or anything, just something I realized. I don't really have any ideas anyway. I'd love to do something epic, but I don't send epic sources out let alone any at all XD... and I don't know anything small time.
VcentG wrote:
O,o I don't think I can do this competition anyway. I mean a functional specification? Development journal? A schedule? That's not how I work...

Writing a spec or journal are only suggestions to help you be a better developer. They are by no means requirements. I don't expect to get a spec from anyone, to be honest.

I'd love to do something epic, but I don't send epic sources out let alone any at all XD

I can only guess as to your hang up on this point, and in the end it's your choice. Is this something you want to participate in, and do you want that enough to let one other human being look at your source code?
Where's the proof that you're human? Haha, and I don't know what prizes there are and all that jazz, so "What I want" doesn't really matter. I mean we can all get something done without actually being in the competition. I'll probably do something if I can get a good enough idea.
The point is to force you into a position in which you actually have to get something done and you just do it. We all say what you said, "I'll get it done when I get it done." However, there's no discipline in that statement. Honestly, without other people to back us up, we usually don't get a whole lot done. I know I wouldn't. I'm not saying other people need to help you, but just the extra push from statements like "I can't wait to see it done" or "You really should get working on that" is a lot of help to get you actually working. There's a light at the end of this tunnel, that's why you'd be more inclined to do it.
Well, I'm gonna enter if I can find a good enough idea. I'm even going to advertise a little, because I knew byond competitions existed but not this one.. I remember another one that was annually but I forgot when that was. I've never entered before... But this time I will, even if I have to make a simple tic tac toe game XD. Also, will there be like 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? orrr just "This game was good you get this!" "And you, you were okay so you get that!" I wanna win. That'll have to be my main motivation, but i'll probably get raped, you guys aren't just some random newbs.
VcentG wrote:
Also, will there be like 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? orrr just "This game was good you get this!" "And you, you were okay so you get that!"

Each game will be awarded either a pass or fail mark. Those that passed will then be judged in ranks (1st, 2nd, etc.).
I have a question.
Is the use of libraries allowed?
And who will be the judges?
The Magic Man wrote:
I have a question.
Is the use of libraries allowed?

Yes. Encouraged, even.
Ok, I'm going to try and get in this contest, kicking at some of your rules ;)

Alright, I have created game graphics (I'm sure you know by my blog), for X-Fire. However, the only work that has been done on the game is from Fugsnarf, which has the source (only consisting of pixel movement which I wont use) and I haven't seen.

Programming is a totally different "black art" to me, so I'm going to attempt to make a version of X-Fire without Fugsnarf (though I'm sure his version would be better haha!), and use this contest as a principle to experience DM programming.

My complaint here is Fan games have original artwork created, game design already planned out (which can be mimicked), and a story to boot if one wishes to use it.

So why can't I use my crappy art and story that I've been working on for awhile now? ;) I have less graphics, story, game design, and NO programming done. I essentially do not have a game at all.

I can see you disqualifying already programmed projects, but ones that hardly even started and allow fan games is not really fair, IMHO. You are also allowing projects that have been dead to be "resurrected", which can make other projects on a disadvantage. So I can't have a slight edge with graphics/story/concept that hasn't conceived yet?

Do what you will, but I'm just wanting to participate for the learning experience. By the 1% chance I win, "I got something done" just as fair as the other entries. :)
Neblim wrote:
Stuff

I'm sure I'm going to get a backlash as soon as the results are posted, as I've made several allowances based on the individual circumstances of each project. For instance, Jp is working on a kickass library, and Divine Traveller, Tekken, and I are working on a new version of Artemis to be released as a library. I suggest that you send in whatever it is that you have going already (zip it up and email it to me), and I'll email you back whether or not I'll allow the entry, and any other thoughts / advice I have. Thanks for the interest in the event!
IainPeregrine wrote:
Neblim wrote:
Stuff

I'm sure I'm going to get a backlash as soon as the results are posted, as I've made several allowances based on the individual circumstances of each project. For instance, Jp is working on a kickass library, and Divine Traveller, Tekken, and I are working on a new version of Artemis to be released as a library. I suggest that you send in whatever it is that you have going already (zip it up and email it to me), and I'll email you back whether or not I'll allow the entry, and any other thoughts / advice I have. Thanks for the interest in the event!

There really is nothing to zip, unless you want the graphics, which are all on my blog for visual reference. The story is all in my head and not written (though I had chapter 1 finished in an actual attempt to create a novel at one point but I lost this file on my gf's laptop while back).
Neblim wrote:
There really is nothing to zip, unless you want the graphics, which are all on my blog for visual reference.

Then just send me an email with your key, etc., as if you were doing a completely new project.
Oh another question, as posted, quite a few people aren't even doing games. What exactly are things being judged on? Obviously, what was previously stated such as WORKING is important. But okay? Graphics come into play, fun level, etc but only for games. So what about things like JP's project? How is it going to be compared to a game for the competition? D: I just wanna make sure my game is up to par if there are specifics that it needs to surpass something as advanced as those things.
VcentG wrote:
Oh another question, as posted, quite a few people aren't even doing games. What exactly are things being judged on? Obviously, what was previously stated such as WORKING is important. But okay? Graphics come into play, fun level, etc but only for games. So what about things like JP's project? How is it going to be compared to a game for the competition? D: I just wanna make sure my game is up to par if there are specifics that it needs to surpass something as advanced as those things.

As far as I understand things, only games are eligible for 'prizes', as such (although, of course, external parties are free to award prizes as they wish).

At minimum, you've probably got very little to fear from my project. :P. I'm managing to procrastinate by working on other projects (including DMIDE).

That said, I have done some grammatical wrangling, so I dunno, I might get the things I said I'd do done.
Well crud, I missed the deadline for this year. I guess I'll just have to get in on GSD 2011 - if there is one, that is. The only question is getting an idea... perhaps a trip to Three Hundred Mechanics is in order. I'm marking this down in my calendar so I don't forget.
Don't sweat it; a lot of us were asleep at the switch this year, methinks.
Page: 1 2