ID:95444

Keywords: techtree

I've just started Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for the third time.  I was doing really well on the second run.  I had all of the packages I could access,  extra health from the pizza delivery missions and my cabs could hop.  Unfortunately, I was running off of a single save...  I saved over it after forgetting to take the neigh-indestructible car from the early "Guardian Angels" mission.  GRRRR!

VcentG's Wyllshire Road has been added to the guild.  Previously submitted to BYOND Action due to the perceived degree of micromanagement, the game's RTS defense mechanics have landed it here.  Players are tasked with fending off hordes of apocalyptic creatures with a barricade of surviving humans.  The game can be played alone or cooperatively.  Check it out.

Grim Prospects is now listed in the guild.  It lacks sound effects and could use better AI, but I released a version for multiplayer testing.  I'll probably submit the game to BYOND Casual and Single Player Games once the kinks are worked out.  A bunch of matches will have to be played before I can reasonably offer a tangible version on The Game Crafter.

Grim Prospects is a card game where players each own a small mining crew that is struggling to get by.  The rights to tunnel segments must be forfeited to opponents.  Workers must be fired and sent to loiter near opponents in the hopes of attaining a job.  Finally, players may send some of their remaining workers to take their tunnel segment back by force while protecting what was forfeited to them.  The cycle continues until someone runs out of cards.  Whoever has the most valuable tunnel at the end wins.

Happy with a steady increase in players, EGUY has announced that his tile-laying game, Deus Rex, will be receiving an update. He's "looking to add more elements where forethought and skill can make a significant difference in play."  In a strategy game.  Go fig. ;)

Now if only that steady increase in players had a higher rate.

Dihydrogen Monoxide has reported a window size bug in Foomer's territorial dispute, Solar Conquest.  Meanwhile, Warpstar182 has suggested another cause for the fleet disappearance bug reported by D4RK3 54B3R.

Normally neither would be news, but the recent removal of Last Robot Standing from the featured list probably means that I should pay more attention to the problems of featured games with discontinued support.  Beautiful graphics aside, the latter bug sounds like it might be detrimental enough to remove the game's featured status.  I have not played the game in ages so speak up.

Rushnut may have finally been convinced to create a separate hub entry for his updated version of Abra's base defense game,  Castle.  I've been requesting that in Tech Tree for ages...  Granted, it hasn't happened yet.

With little more than faction names and random art for Belligerence, D4RK3 54B3R is now teasing FrostBurn as his Get Something Done Challenge entry.  I perked up at the mention of tech trees and early/mid-game units in the schedule he recently posted, but he just winked at me when I asked for details.  I saw the lobby server up so, after being teased some more, I asked him again.

FrostBurn will be a full-fledged RTS.  With the help of IainPeregrine's GSDC, D4RK3 54B3R is highly motivated to complete it. =)

Belligerence is on hiatus... Whatever it was in the first place. ;)

His game is progressing ahead of schedule, but Geldonyetich has stated outright that his untitled GDSC entry is a vehicular action game rather than an RTS variant.  That means Tech Tree might go weeks without any links to his blog! *GASP*  Perhaps that's the secret to getting him to release something.

I have yet to wrap my head around the strategic aspects of Defense Of The Ancients variants.  I tried to watch a match commentary.  Terms were blurted out without explanation.  I'll probably give it another go later, but I'm not about to join a match and interact with the infamously rude players.

Asellia is looking for artists to help create such a game for free.  The persistent world aspects make me even more wary, but I figured I'd mention it in case I'm misinformed.

I'll bite.  It's not directly strategy news, but Bandock saw fit to use the guild's forum to announce that he has resumed work on a client-side communication library...  I'm being used to publicize the post in lieu of a membership, aren't I?

Oh noes!  My next project might be a single-player action adventure with random world generation.  I'm slightly worried about creating the art, but the environments are coming around thanks to textures from Spiral Graphics... Granted, my square borders would probably make pixel artists groan in disgust.

My strategy efforts will probably be limited to sessions of Grim Prospects.  Feel free to load the column up with your own development news!

Fooldom Come: One subscription. Many games.

Congratulations to NakaTeleeli on his 1000th video (such as it is) and to IndyMogul on the third anniversary of BFX. However, this week's Board Games with Scott is of more interest.

Got news? The season finale of Supernatural airs tonight.

I was originally going to make a post on my BYOND Members blog also, but I thought I would announce it in a select few places (like Chatters, BYOND Strategy forums on here, and few others). When more is developed, I will make a more public announcement on my blog to get developers and players interested.

Reason why I thought I would post it in the forums here is because of the fact it may serve a purpose for strategy games made for BYOND in the near future. I even thought about making a strategy game that utilizes client-side capabilities. There will be a public test of the demo that will be provided with the support library when it is released in the near future, which could result in an early download link for the communicator itself (but no support library yet until they're both finished). That is all I have to say at present.
I'm not sure what genre to call my game, to be sure. It's really more like Drone. Sure, there's you running and gunning, but there's also the placement of structures to keep in mind. But then, so was Lode Wars, and I don't see it amongst the hallowed ranks of the Strategy Guild. Ah well, there's always Planetbreakers.
Belligerence was going to be a TBS inspired by tabletop war games, like Warhammer 40k.

The matches would play out like a tabletop war game. Players would earn credits from playing these matches and could use these credits to buy units and equipment for their army lists. I also had some microtransaction stuff planned. ;]
Well I can only sacrifice so many innocents to the Dark Ones above in order to boost a player-base. I've been using medals to track new players as well as any successful multiplayer games. It appears as though there has been at least one hosted game but only one person appears to have gotten the medal.
@Neblim: What entry? I don't see one yet, do you? ;)

@Bandock: It's not like I mind... You think people read our forums? You flatterer!

@EGUY: I was lamenting the lack of players in general rather than anything on your end... Frell, only 5 people have downloaded Grim Prospects so far. (Granted, the lack of a map probably scares them a bit.)