ID:96096

Keywords: again, rips
Since the talk about rips has been at its high-point lately i'd figure that i'd contribute. Rips show up more that original games is that.. well.. they are easy to make and slap on a hub. Original games aren't showing up because the developers know what they are doing. They take the time to develop the game and make it right the first time. F0lak made a post that told RPG developers to post some information about their games. It got a good amount of feedback.

Most of the games mentioned in that post are still being worked on and pop up every now and then. Original games don't just pop out over night.

My main point of this is to show why it seems BYOND has no original games. Making games take time.
Well, if I read it correctly, RSC Extractor problem is fixed.

If not, expect to see more rips.

Icon Rips:

Use those anti-rip things. Making slish-slashs across the game screen but set it to an opacity/alpha in which you can still see the game itself.
If someone really wanted to steal game icons they would. There are plenty of other means than the RSC Extractor.
What a lot of people don't often consider is the fact that many rippers don't want to make their own game. Not everyone wants to be a programmer (or graphics artist, or whatever), and that's okay. Not every D&D dungeon master is expected to write their own book of rules, and many of them use preexisting character builds or campaigns. For these people, all that they want is to "Own Your Own Net Game", or OYONG, an acronym I will now never mention again.

Really, all they want to do is be the GM of a game with all their school friends playing. When they decide to add a custom icon or a custom "jutsu" for their best friend, they open up the source and try to copy paste something, and then we hear about it on the forums: "Why won't my kill bunshins bunshins bunshins no jutsu warez skill work?" When we tell them to read the DM guide, they know that's not what they want; they just want that one "Beam code" and then they'll be good. We can't trick them into becoming programmers, and we shouldn't try.

We need to change our way of dealing with these people so that we don't waste either of our time trying to get them to do something they really don't want to.
Here's why they really show up more: people make posts about them, encouraging their existence, when they should be making something of their own.
Death to the OYONGers!
DivineTraveller wrote:
Here's why they really show up more: people make posts about them, encouraging their existence, when they should be making something of their own.

Less bitching more working. I like the way you think.

Also: Iain is the most correct person at the moment. There is no one more correct than he is right now.