ID:96191

Just a couple of quick videos showing off some of the newer systems working. There's been a bit of progress since my last post, I would have posted videos sooner, and posted more of them but I don't always have a connection that can handle uploading the video.

Flooding
The flooding system is pretty neat, if a window is cracked to a certain point a leak will start, the water pushes in from the leak affecting any existing water it touches, eventually the water will settle if there's nothing pushing on it.

As the water fills the room it'll push anyone inside around causing damage if they hit walls and solid objects. If the water gets so deep you'll begin to drown if there is no source of oxygen avaliable.

Flashlights
A big element of the game is the lighting, so I wanted to make the flashlights interesting, it was decided early on that they would project light in front of you instead of around you, so you can only light up what's in front of you and slightly to the side of that. It has turned out pretty cool so far and I've had some pretty exciting moments during zombie mode because of it.

Don't mind the little lighting glitches here and there, those will be resolved eventually.

If you keep breaking the window does water flow in faster? Why not zombie mode flashlight action vid?
If the window is broken more it does increase the flow. It also goes faster the further down in the station you are, more water pressure and whatnot.

I was gonna do a zombie mode video but it never seems to give off the right feel of it, it's one of those things you need to experience first-hand.
Nadrew wrote:
If the window is broken more it does increase the flow. It also goes faster the further down in the station you are, more water pressure and whatnot.

Then why did you let it leak for 5 minutes in the video! :P

I was gonna do a zombie mode video but it never seems to give off the right feel of it, it's one of those things you need to experience first-hand.

Mmmhmmm, likely story, zombies please.

Because I was cleaning my room while the video recorded =P.
The squares don't really come off as water.
Yeah, that doesn't look like water to me either. Water wouldn't jump from once spot and them leap onto another spot, it would just pour into the room. This water looks like it has a mind of its own and decides where it wants to be.
Definitely need some sort of pooling mechanic and auto-joining for that water.
finish mah gamez!!!1!!!
I always knew water really moved in square blocks and slid back and forth.
The water graphic is just a placeholder until I have something better, remember, not an artist. The water does pool, the reason it seems so erratic near the leak is that the water from the leak is pushing it around, notice that further from the leak the water isn't moving at all.
I understand the graphic is a placeholder, but what's truly weird is that the water often moves back and forth between two tiles, or in some case, towards the leak where pressure is supposedly coming from.
Yeah, I noticed that too. It's just caused by something I added earlier and forgot about. I was trying to get an effect of it splashing off of walls it hit, but it was affecting things it shouldn't have.

It should be resolved by the beta.