ID:96372

Keywords: techtree

Muhuhahaha!  Thank you for the updates this week, developers.  I was worried that I'd have a tiny Tech Tree column again.  Last week, my Gamasutra blog had to make do with a congratulations to HD and Husky coupled with a reference to Day[9]'s educational StarCraft videos because he's looking for sponsors.

I forgot to add EGUY's tile-placing game, Deus Rex, to the list of requested reviews when it entered the featured list.  That error has been rectified.  Just sayin'.  Nudge, nudge.

Vexonator has updated the tactical fantasy, Surreal Dreams.  Along with bug fixes, the help files have had their layout improved.  More work on the custom unit system is planned next.

The legibility of the help files was the focus of my feedback and why I resisted adding the game back to the featured list.  I'm planning on reviewing it in action this week...  I won't count the fugly color combinations against it. ;)-

Acebloke has posted the May results of his standings tracker, AceMedalTable.  NachoX123 has broken into the top five with 36 points from 20 medals.  That's the first change at the top since January.  Gratz!

AceMedalTable was recently updated with one medal from his economic/military simulation, Wargames, and 6 medals from his 2008 Get Something Done Challenge entry, SET UP!  The latter isn't a strategy game, but it made for a nice picture.

Mecha Destroyer JD is making progress on his replacement for Ultimate Strife, Ultra Strife.  The engine is almost ready.  Units, graphics and interface elements are being planned next.  Details are scarce.

I'm confused about whether or not it should be listed in the guild, but Atomixkid's Chain Reaction has been updated.  What changed?  Don't ask me.  There isn't even a help file.

There does appear to be a hint for the next update though: "Quantum banana tree".  Thanks?

I'm still not sure if games inspired by Defense Of The Ancients qualify as strategy games, but The Magic Man is currently reworking War of Heroes into the genre.  As far as I can tell, it's a team-based action game with classes and session-based level grinding.  Test servers are being hosted.

100 World Story is probably to random to fit my definition of a strategy game, but it is a somewhat complex boardgame.  NoelKnight is currently looking for programmers, artists and writers to help create a similar game on BYOND.  The ruleset, script and events are mostly finished and I find the project interesting.  However, the lack of financial compensation coupled with plans for constant updates doesn't seem promising.

Geldonyetich was disappointed by the scope of his Get Something Done Challenge entry, Mech Game Framework.  However, he is now back to working on his persistent strategy game, Planetbreakers.

*sigh*  With his GSDC entry posted, I can't nag him for progress.  With Tech Tree's recent lack of news, I can't cringe at the fact that he's speaking of immersion instead of solid strategy mechanics.  This is no fun...  But you still can't count to 3, dude. ;)

Speaking of IainPeregrine's 2010 Get Something Done Challenge, it has come to an end.  Many entrants dropped out, but he still expected a reasonable showing.  Unfortunately, not even a Memorial Day postponement of the deadline offered enough time for some to get their projects completed and emailed.  On the bright side, there's less for IainPeregrine to judge and the results will be posted on June 14th.

I released an update for my mining card battle, Grim Prospects.  Apparently the host options had display issues.  I fixed them, added another option and made multiple improvements to the help file.  Another update to make the interface symbols easier to understand is on the way.  (Thanks, Geldonyetich.)

Meanwhile, I've been redesigning the interface and mechanics of an older game.  StarScurrier was a sequel to my turn-based economic/combative space race, Star*Scurry.  I released a version (and multiple updates) years ago, but I found the the project unworthy of support and deleted it.  I have a different set of goals this time.  I think it can work.

Fooldom Come: One subscription. Many games.

Pheh. I congratulate Husky on his YouTube partnership and then he celebrates his first anniversary. Gloryhog.

Got news? Scott Nicholson is giving short boardgame reviews on his Twitter account.

I can't cringe at the fact that he's speaking of immersion instead of solid strategy mechanics.

Not so much "instead of" as "in addition to."

I can so count to 3: 1. 2. 4. Damn!
Programming mojo is down... Juggling a few projects.

Also, never got into the SC2 beta so I'm going to get ganked by everyone when I finally get a hold of it.