ID:97149

Well after being linked to various resources, I have redone the hacking system. It is now (hopefully) much easier and user-friendly.

Now there is a main computer server with an IP address located (most likely under heavy guard) within each agency. This server stores all the agencies' data including weapons and technology research, documents, and all the important information an agency would be containing.

Think of these main computers as those big and scary computers that are ran in those dark and cold rooms, making all those sounds and lights. Basically its a main computer without a monitor. Right now, the only way to access this server is to connect to it through an IP look up.

That is where terminals come in. Each terminal has a wireless transmitter, which directly connects to a wireless receiver, allowing the multiple terminals in the agency to go wireless.

A terminal SIMPLY connects to the server IP, and runs an interface software from that server. That's all terminals can do with basic tools. Now, when accessing a terminal you will be presented with a login screen and password.

A list of ID cards within your inventory will show up to the right (if any), and clicking on one of these enters that users information and password (the password you will never know).
If you know a user and password that belongs to the corresponding agency, by all means, enter it.
If you do not have these means, there is an alternative*

Anyways, when you log in, you will run the interface software set up on the server. You will be presented with a file server, log access, and more depending upon the server.

*This is where hacking plays in. You can run programs on the terminal (if the terminal allows it). This too is a simplistic system;
Insert a data card into the terminal, and access it within the terminal interface. From here you can run programs, download, and upload files to/from the server. (Now keep in mind that MOST terminals will deny external data, only special ones that take data such as a documents terminal or a research terminal will accept outside data. You can take advantage of this by uploading a keylogger into the terminal to retrieve access codes)

This is how the system operates. If you force yourself into a server, you begin to get traced. If the trace leads back to you, you will be fined and prosecuted. Doing anything illegal/suspicious will have your ID revoked on the server when you disconnect or are traced, whichever happens first.

That is the end of the systems concept. Below are external affairs

Programs and Viruses
Don't worry, you won't have to program your own viruses. As you move up in the ranks and complete specific missions, more programs and viruses will be available to you.
Some off the top of my head;
  • keylogger - logs keys pressed and stores them in a temporary file (see silent_upload)
  • silent_upload - scans the terminal for specified file name (can leech through server connection) and will send them to a specified file server
  • password_cracker - run this program on a login screen and it will attempt to break the password for specified user name. If no username, admin is used by default.
  • proxy_disable - disables proxy in the connection, allowing you to access and edit files
  • firewall_disable - basically the same thing as above, a system will have both a proxy and firewall for extended security

Those are just some programs available. A lot are secret, you have to unlock them yourself. That's just the beginning of the possibilities, but I'll end here and let you soak up all this information.
Tell me what you think, I love criticism.

Here is a mockup of the interface, please note that it's simply a prototype.

Sounds very interesting, I like the information you are giving within these development logs.
;)
Sounds great. Not sure how you're going to visually show the terminal but maybe green text on a black background would be good? Can't wait to try this out.
Maybe I'll make a quick mock-up of the interface. Also I might host a session dedicated to testing the hacking system, I'll give you a few hacking missions ;)
Alright, there's a quick mock-up of the interface. This is simply the log-in page too!

This server was connected using a laptop. As you can see, an IP lookup program was ran from the laptop and connected to the server.

To the right, you can see there exists the connection, along with a firewall and proxy.
I like the sound of this hacking system, thanks for all the informative posts.

[Off-topic] Your new css - me do not like :(
One hell of a mockup, looks almost exactly like Uplink. ;]

Uplink was fun though so I have no problems with that
Hehe I was hoping nobody would notice ;]

But you know, their interface is extremely simple and clean, I can't help but using it for the game. I do plan to change the color schemes around, experiment with it a bit. I don't want to take everything from Uplink, but it looks so damn sexy ;]
I think that you should change some of the mechanics around. "Proxy" isn't exactly a defense (that I know of) on a server to defend against unauthorized access.

Alright, what do you suggest? I'm still learning about these systems as I go.
prosecuted and fined? i was thinking more like shot. :p