ID:97242

Keywords: address, ip, set
Setting a main IP address will help for your port forwarding purposes. IP Address can have a nasty habit to change and if it does, then your Linksys port-forward technique will have to be repeated.

So lets set this information up shall we?

RETRIEVING IP ADDRESS:

1. Go to your "Start" menu

2. Select "Control Panel"

3. Select "Network and Internet"

4. Select "Network and Sharing Center"

5. on the baby blue box to your left should be "Change Adapter Settings" Click it.

6. You should see an icon with a computer and green bars. Mine states "Wireless Network Connection" but yours might not be wireless. Right Click this icon and click "Status"

8. Select "Details" and retrieve your IP address which will be ###.###.#.### Its imperative that you right it out exactly and you remember the last three.

9. Close Everything out.

LOGGING INTO YOUR LINKSYS ADMIN AND RETRIEVING DATA:

1. Open up your web browser and on your global search type the first 8 of your IP Address like so ###.###.#.#

2. A pop up will appear asking for a name and password. Leave the name box blanks and write "admin" for your password.

3. When you get to the web page beneath the banner in the gray area should be a line of tabs. Click the "Status" Tab.

4. In this page will be the information of the your linksys router. Scroll down and write down DNS# 1 and 2.

5. You can now close out of your web browser if you wish.

SETTING YOUR IP ADDRESS.

1. Go to your "Start" menu

2. Select "Control Panel"

3. Select "Network and Internet"

4. Select "Network and Sharing Center"

5. on the baby blue box to your left should be "Change Adapter Settings" Click it.

6. You should see an icon with a computer and green bars. Mine states "Wireless Network Connection" but yours might not be wireless. Right Click this icon and click "Properties".

7. In this pop up you will see a small box and a big box with check boxes with in it.. In the big box look for "Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)" Double Click this. And another Pop Up should reveal itself.

8. There should be two sets of options.

9. Option 1: "Obtain IP Address Automatically" or "Use the following IP Address"

-- Chose "Use the following IP Address" --

10. Write your IP address next in the box next to "IP Address"

11. Click Subnet Mask. Number should appear automatically.

12. In Default Gateway type the first 8 of your IP Address: ###.###.#.#

13. OPTION 2: "Obtain DNS Address Automatically" or "Use the Following DNS Server"

-- Click "Use the Following DNS Server"

14. Type the DNS #1 that you retrieved from your Linksys Data base into the "Preferred DNS Server" Block.

15. Type the DNS #2 that you retrieved from your Linksys Data base into "Alternate DNS Server" Block.

16. Press "OK" and close out of everything.

CONGRATULATIONS! you have now stopped your tricky server from trying to change its IP address on you :)
Ummm...
Makes a few assumptions, but for some reason, I don't think that'll make it a true static ip, considering you have to pay for one.
DivineTraveller wrote:
Ummm...
Makes a few assumptions, but for some reason, I don't think that'll make it a true static ip, considering you have to pay for one.

It creates a static local IP. You'll still get whatever external IP your ISP decides to give you. But, this is aimed at people who don't want to update their port-forward settings every time they reboot (since they're tied to the local IP address of the machine you're forwarding to).

Some routers are actually smart enough to track the MAC addresses of the machines connected to it, and automatically give them the same IP whenever they connect. My old router did this, and I miss it :(

Also, Kris_Sempai, you left out the part where you reserve the IP on your router so it doesn't give it to someone else ;)
Oh? I wasnt aware that you had to pay for a true IP address.

So are you saying that this method will sometimes be flaud? or do you think it will work for Byond purposes and the very least.

I'm not sure how to reserve the IP address on the router so that no one else can get it. In actuality I just learned this information yesterday. I'm not really a computer literate but this website really challenges me to learn a lot more about the buddy I've been sitting behind since I was 12. XD lol
Kris_Sempai wrote:
Oh? I wasnt aware that you had to pay for a true IP address.

A true static one, yeah. My friend has about five of them, and he has to pay for them.

So are you saying that this method will sometimes be flaud? or do you think it will work for Byond purposes and the very least.

For BYOND, no, it won't work. There's something with a name I don't recall, but it provides you with a host name, and you connect to that, and it accomodates (sp) any new ip changes, or something. I thought it was called no-host, but that seems to be defunct.
Hmm, I should check that out too :)