ID:972611

Resolved
Large, transformed, and animated objects should now behave much better when coming in and out of view.
BYOND Version:496
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 21.0.1180.89
Applies to:Dream Daemon

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
For whatever reason when I walk far enough out of range of a big icon it just disappears. I'm using a standard TOPDOWN_MAP with these icons that are 256x256.

Here is a video of the problem:
http://screencast.com/t/LqrHEkwPD

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Everytime
In other games?
N/A
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
Yes
To my knowledge this has always been intended behavior; when you move out of range of a big icon (or rather, the source tile in the bottom left corner) it stops rendering (as it makes no sense to render it if you can't see it).
This would still be a bug if the icon is actually disappearing when a part of it is still in range. I believe it is a known limitation though as we only track a certain number of tiles to avoid extra overhead.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
This would still be a bug if the icon is actually disappearing when a part of it is still in range. I believe it is a known limitation though as we only track a certain number of tiles to avoid extra overhead.

Happens all the time. especially with big icons.

In response to Tom
Tom wrote:

Huh, looks like this is the case. I put together a demo here demonstrating this and it definitely vanishes even if you're still within view of some part of the icon.

A bit of an oddity that I noticed though is that if you move really far away from it then move back into view of the icon, the issue of it vanishing goes away.
Tom changed status to 'Verified'
Seems like that's worth investigating then. I didn't realize this was happening in normal circumstances.
Object icon disappears when my mob goes past it.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.Place a large obj on the map
2.Move North of large obj
3.Obj icon disappears
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
I would expect that the object not disappear and eventually as I move North to be out of my view.
Actual Results:
It disappears while it's in my view
Does the problem occur:
Every time
In other games?
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
Yes
When does the problem NOT occur?
The problem does not occur when I increase the grid size
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:
Increasing grid size.

In response to Victorqr
BEFORE

After moving some pixels NORTH
In response to Victorqr
I need more info on this, particularly regarding the icon size. This report doesn't contain the info I would need to reproduce it.
In response to Victorqr
This happens to me as well, the icon's size is 704x704(Giant stone circle). My character base is 48x72. On mine it happens when the character is about 3/4 of the way walking past the Stone Circle. It only happens when moving North, happens no matter how far away you are. Un-sure if it still happens even while your off-screen. It started after I updated to 507.1265 from 506.1247, reason there is such a gap in versions is because I was without a computer at the time. It also happens even if you 'teleport' the mob above it, by changing their location manually.

I have not tried increasing the Grid size as a workaround. Um, what other information do you need?

Edit: Not sure if it makes a difference, but I get the same result no matter if the icon in question is set as a turf or obj.

Edit Edit: I can also send you source or host files for it via e-mail, if that would help you LummoxJR. It's still relatively small.
In response to Victorqr
I tried to deal with this bug in summer. This also happens sometimes when you move East.

I did some extensive testing here are some things I noticed:
  • View does not affect this bug I tried doubling or make it half and it does nothing
  • bound_x and bound_y do don't fix it, neither bound_width and y.

Now here is the interesting part:
on icon_size=1
an 8x8 obj disappears when I'm over the 5th pixel moving North or East.

an 16x16 obj disappears also in 5th and a 32x32 also in 5th
the weird thing is that the larger ones reappear after 2 pixels of disappearance.

Now on icon_size=2

an 8x8 does not disappear
but all others disappear when I enter 12th pixel and reapear after 4 pixels

on icon_size=4

8x8 and 16x16 work fine but all others exit on 24th pixel.

Notes:
It only occurs when moving North or East
And if you are east from the obj and move west to it then no problems occur even if you go North or East from there.

I believe it is a rendering problem.
In response to Victorqr
Has anyone found a work-around for this problem yet?
In response to Victorqr
++doesn't have to be north tho
In response to Victorqr
It happens North and East in my testing
In response to Victorqr
I would like to know what is a fix for this too.
In response to Victorqr
Yeah I think it's a very serious visual bug, I mean you can't have stuff disappearing in your games lol
Bump. Has anyone found or know of a fix for this.
a cheap fix/hack would be to make 8 duplicate objects such that the pixel x/y/z offsets leaves the actual objects on the corners and middle of the edges of the icon while having all the icons line up.

The cause is that while an icon can be bigger than the grid size, the game sees the actual object as only existing in one square of the grid. So when you can't see that square anymore, it assumes you can't see the object and stops rendering it, even if you can still see the icon.

you can use negative values for the x/y/z pixel offsets to move the icon around relative to the objects location.

This how ever won't be practical to do in 99% of cases
Large icons over 100x100 dissapear from your view when you move away from it and apear again when you get close to them.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
You can test it with this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8h9nij9vjhroz1/BR.zip?dl=0
Just walk North or Right and they will dissapear if you go back will apear again, doesnt happend with walking down, left though.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every Time
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Don't know!
Workarounds:

Only option is to cut the building into pieces lower of 100x100 for the problem to not occure.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7