ID:97449

BYOND Version:470
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.4
Applies to:Dream Maker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
It's only a matter of time before I have to restart my system because of a igxprd32 display driver fail. I am doing nothing to provoke this, simply running my game. Every time I run my game, I hope this isn't the occasion where it will fail. However, every time I begin working on my game I know its only a matter of time before my driver will fail upon start up of my byond world.

In other words; BYOND seems to randomly pick when it decides to make my driver fail, and it happens when I hit ctrl-R in my dream maker. Some times my world will pop up and run fine, and other times it will crash my driver. This happens in other game sources too, here are some screenshots:

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
Don't crash my driver, would be nice

Actual Results:
Driver crashes requiring reboot of my computer

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Dream maker seems to run fine when I first start up my computer, it doesn't crash my driver. After a while of starting up my world several times it will eventually crash my driver.
In other games?

In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?
Near the beginning of my computer start-up.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

That used to happen for me when I used my on-board graphics card, it occurred when WAY TO MUCH text was pasted into the input box.
In the client preferences, you can turn off hardware rendering of graphics. See if that fixes the problem.
Tom wrote:
In the client preferences, you can turn off hardware rendering of graphics.

Why is this setting on by default (or even exist at all for that matter)? All it seems to do is cause a multitude of problems, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't offer any advantages over software mode.
It varies from machine to machine. Some games are unplayable for certain users in software mode, because blitting a (potentially) full-screen graphic uses a lot of memory.