ID:97510

The first step to resolving a problem is understanding it and confessing that the problem might be on your side (as much as it may hurt), instead of blaming the bad environment. Your game likely enough is worth being played and provides for some fun, but you have to encourage potential customers to choose your product over anything else they could do to kill time. Every game is competing and can not simply expect, or even demand audience. This already starts with your hub. If there is no download link, your game should provide a hosting schedule, which can be spotted right away (it should be placed in a prominent position). You want to be customer friendly, you want your potential clientèle to know if they are going to have a chance and even play the game right away. If you don't, they'll judge the hub entry as dead and leave, at which point you likely won't see them again. Do not forget to mention a time-zone though, as not everybody lives at the same place. While this is a nice start, it certainly isn't enough. Provide a summary of your game with such essential information as the basic game style (Isometric/Top-view, Turn-based/Real time, On the map battles/Battle-Screen, Singleplayer/Multiplayer), followed by the games' unique selling proposition (yes, players are going to need a real reason to play your game instead of the thousand others out there). After the summary, you likely want to go for a more detailed description of the world, it's story, the battle system, skill progression, everything that might help the reader to envision your project. On the other side, your moderation team, or the game's rule set should not be listed on the hub. These are irrelevant to decide if a game could be fun or not and that very decision is what the hub entry should influence. Some nice screenshoots and a video can work wonders for this purpose as well.

Now, when a customer finally decided to join your game, ensure that the graphical user interface blends in well with the game and target audience alike. This already starts with something as basic as character creation. If the first thing to greet a player is a pop-up, your game lost valuable points with the more advanced customer. Embedding a neatly designed, browser based character generation into a child element (yes, the whole game window should be filled with the character generation and you should not see a 'Stat' for an non existent character) looks professional and isn't as tricky as most people seem to think. Another important point to note is validating player input. Do not ask them to follow certain guidelines if the game doesn't check on them afterwards, because a lot of players are going to purposely go against your advise. Never put trust into receiving proper data, but always parse the information you received and act accordingly.

Finally, your new player has decided for her avatar and is ready to venture onwards! After all this trouble and effort, the player doesn't want to invest more time into reading through lengthy help files, or even worse would want to click her way through an aggressive alert spam tutorial. A good system is easy to pick up and hard to master, which is exactly how your interface should behave. In order to guide your player through the task of getting used to the interface, don't send them from NPC to NPC, basically cutting a lengthy help file into small brackets, but provide them with a selected few simple tasks (a little on-screen text works wonders in such a case) to master. Try to disguise this by embedding it into the story and allow for easy success and progression. On this note, a general rule of thumb is that a player should be able to access every main game feature without moving her hands too much. Make good use of both mouse click events, as well as the keyboard, but keep in mind that your set-up should prevent accidents. It would be bad to walk to a place and to use an object through the same left mouse click, because you could easily miss and use something you didn't want to. It would be better to use the left mouse event for walking, the right one to interact and both at the same time to investigate something. This way you can not trigger the wrong action unintentionally, but have three main functions bound to a single hand. Even though you're going to have put much thought into developing a decent set of macros, never forget to include the option of customisation. Yes, theoretically somebody could do this (to a certain degree) through editing the skin, but that wouldn't be customer friendly at all. Score some points by offering a neat little (browser based) table, that allows for simple association of macros to functionality in your game and don't forget to embed this in the main window's child element.

Non of this makes up for lacking content or possibly encountering errors though, so try to ensure that you can provide your customer with countless happy hours of flawless fun before releasing a game (or submitting it to a banner guild). Where your beta testers may endure some situations, a casual player likely won't.

If you can get your player this far, you have a decent chance to see them again the next day!
Too many games still use the bland alert box spam as intros to their games. There's not really an excuse for it, it's just laziness.

Perhaps you can turn this into a series, Schnitzelnagler.
Hiddeknight wrote:

I tried to talk him into this yesterday, but he's too lazy. =(
In defense of those alert boxes: Most people won't even TRY to figure out where the bloody "Help"/FAQ buttons are unless it's shoved in their faces. This has been a case on most of the games I play.

The gameplay IS simple. But in games where macros are pre-assigned to keys to talk to NPCs and stuff, it becomes a problem (IE: one game I play has an NPC that says "Press 5 (.center) to talk to NPCs!", the problem: You needed to know to press 5 to begin with to get the NPC to tell you!)
Ulterior Motives wrote:
Hiddeknight wrote:

The guy's too German, it's freaking suspicious. He's not lazy, I bet he's a spy. Too busy assassinating German politicians.
WTB additional paragraphs, PST.
Hiddeknight wrote:
(...)There's not really an excuse for it, it's just laziness.

Ulterior Motives wrote:

Indeed! I'm using laziness (and my recent purchase of Team Fortress 2, despite me being very bad) as excuse. I still owe you a detailed functional specification and starting to work on a project. Remember? ;)
I wrote the article here and the one on my blog mainly to save on reiterating the same point when providing people with feedback, but if you have specific ideas in mind, we could discuss something. And nothing prevents you from jumping in and helping, like one week you, one week UM and one week me ;)

Latoma wrote:
In defense of those alert boxes: Most people won't even TRY to figure out where the bloody "Help"/FAQ buttons are unless it's shoved in their faces.

While I agree that this is indeed sad, you can not solely blame the customer/player. If I have to search for something, the information wasn't presented properly. If I have to research on something, the handling wasn't simple enough. As much as it is bad for the developer, the customer is always right. That's why you see products advertise their striving to be 'user friendly' and why you see developers take so much effort on developing easier and more intuitive alternatives.

Latoma wrote:
But in games where macros are pre-assigned to keys to talk to NPCs and stuff, it becomes a problem (IE: one game I play has an NPC that says "Press 5 (.center) to talk to NPCs!", the problem: You needed to know to press 5 to begin with to get the NPC to tell you!)

Simple solution: Customisable keyboard setting (as pointed out in the article) in combination with an on-screen tutorial for your first few steps in the world. You'll notice that any serious developed game does the same, be it Mass Effect, or Portal (just to name a random game or two). You enter the game and through the actions you take, new on-screen text explanations and tasks are presented. For your example, by stepping near your first NPC, you should receive the hint on how to interact displayed to you. And the idea to step near your first NPC would be pointed out through an advise that is visible instantly after logging into the game. An event based language can use events to it's advantage ;)

Cheeseburgermafia wrote:
WTB additional paragraphs, PST.

Sorry, but I fear my English skill fails me on that one. Could you elaborate?
More paragraphs could improve the ease of reading this.
Any suggestions? I tried to refrain from cluttering it up too much, but I'm rather bad with formatting text.
Suggestions... because you asked. :)

Consider breaking this up with good and bad examples using screenshots and links to games or demos.

Consider sub-headings which help break up and describe the topics.

It's almost deserving of a permanent wiki about common design pitfalls in BYOND. It's really a living document due to constant design changes in BYOND.

ts
That massive post isn't useful to anyone who actually has the patience to read it all. I would suggest breaking it up into subsections, possibly with random charts and graphs thrown in for the sake of charts and graphs.
Latoma wrote:
In defense of those alert boxes: Most people won't even TRY to figure out where the bloody "Help"/FAQ buttons are unless it's shoved in their faces. This has been a case on most of the games I play.

THIS. Oh god, I cannot count the number of times I have had people in games I have made blatantly ignore the HELP buttons and then ask dumb questions.
It is surprising how often people miss stuff unless you shove it in their face (even then, they tend to miss it anyway).