Demo Version 1.1.4

by Red Hall Dev
Closed Project, Hardware Failure.
ID:976611

PROJECT CLOSED
Hardware malfunction, loss of all files.
Exemplar Use Only Now

-----------------------------------------------

Description

This is a small demo of a game that I'm making over the next 5 months or so. Currently the game doesn't have a name so rather than give it a bad one I would rather wait until I have a firm grasp on plot.

Version 1.1.4 Notes

- New Item Graphics
- Updated Healthbar Graphics
- Help Menu Added
- Faster Shooting Speed (Thanks MagicSofa)
- Bug Fixes

From The Developer

I know it's exams right now but I needed to get this done because I was starting to break down and then I realized that this was my purpose in life and I was going to make it doing this. I have every faith I will, so I came back at this project with a vengeance, like this was my last shot even though it may or may not be. Now I'm seeing my graphical skill just went to a whole nother level. So I'm really happy with this release. It may not look like a lot but now I'm looking at this like "Wow, I can see this working." And I've already invested too much time and too much effort to fail right now.

Hope you enjoy it, thanks.
Version 1.1.3 Notes

- Explosives (C4) and Explosions
- Enemy Bleeding
- New Sound Effects
- W,A,S,D Controls

From The Developer

Finally I got to work on explosions. This one was so much fun. It's also great to finally get some nice sound effects in there. Just makes everything feel more visceral.

Perhaps the coolest update so far.

Version 1.1.2 Notes

- Guns & Ammo
- Killing
- Health Bars
- Many fixes and a lot of polishing.

From The Developer

This release took so much work, I'm really impressed with how it turned out though. Fantastic milestone. Now it feels like a game :D

Version 1.1.1 Notes

- New Map
- New Tiles Style
- Ray Tracing
- Advanced Targeting
- Shooting (Spacebar)

Version 1.1.0 Notes

- Enemy Type Added
- Targeting Added

From The Developer

It's good to finally see some other entities on the map so it's a positive step in the right direction. Also programming the automatic target system was quite involved so I'm happy to see that aspect gone.

The part most people won't realise about the targeting system is that if another player is in the same game, they won't be able to see the overlay placed on the target. The system for doing that in Byond is kind of touchy so configuring the icons right and then testing them in multiplayer made it tricky. Well I hope this looks like more of a game now.

I just incremented the second value in the version ID. This marks the end of the release versions. It suits now that this is public.

The next version is now 1.1.X which is focused on User/Enemy interaction. So it'll switch to 1.2.X when I think I'm finished on that stage.

Version numbers are good for helping me know how far I've come which is useful when I get low on motivation. But.. If you want to follow them, now you know what they mean.

Interesting idea, but I don't see anything worth a demo right now. I guess its your call though.
Cloud Magic wrote:
I don't understand why you are making this game tile-based. Pixel movement could improve upon it so much.

The main reason is for performance. I agree with you that Pixel Movement is a nice thing to have but I have to think about it performance right now.

Basically I can have a smallish world where 10 or so people can play with a bit of lag or I can have a large world with 40+ people and not a lot of lag if any.
In response to Speedro
Speedro wrote:
Interesting idea, but I don't see anything worth a demo right now. I guess its your call though.

Yeah you make a good point. This is why I'm not going to any great deal to advertise or distribute it. This more about having a place I can store my work and have other people talk to me as I work.

A good example would be if people really didn't like the art style. If that was the case I would've dropped it today and redeveloped, saved the time. Instead I haven't seen any glaring issues with the art style, which everything else is based off so I know I'm fairly okay using it and development can just continue.

So yeah, I'm not trying say "Come play my game.", I'm trying to say "Hey, I'm working on something."

Sorry it's ambiguous right now.
In response to Red Hall Dev
Pixel Movement doesn't cause lag - I don't know why so many people think it does. Look at Casual Quest. It uses Forum_Account's pixel movement library and it runs perfectly smooth with several players and AI all running.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
Pixel Movement doesn't cause lag - I don't know why so many people think it does. Look at Casual Quest. It uses Forum_Account's pixel movement library and it runs perfectly smooth with several players and AI all running.

Casual Quest pre-dates FA's library, and last I checked doesn't use it. Who told you that it does?

Anyways, pixel movement does make larger demands on the network, because it has to send more updates more often. But it is manageable for smaller games.
In response to DarkCampainger
Someone on Chatters, IIRC.

Point being that it uses pixel movement and doesn't lag much/at all.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:

Well there's some big differences between Casual Quest and what I want to do. Casual quest doesn't have a lot of players per game & all the maps are tiny. Kind of a given that it doesn't lag.

But yeah, from my experience when you move past the casual quest type deal, pixel movement causes issues.
Version 1.1.0 Released Today
I'm not sure what it is, but something is lagging the game. My guess would be the AI, although they didn't seem to be shooting...just a guess though
In response to Magicsofa
What kind of computer do you have? The auto targeting is pretty power hungry.

I'm not sure about this demo though. I doesn't seem right.
A crappy one. It works fine on my better comp so it might not be an issue, but having a lot more mobs might cause problems even on fast computers.

Anyway, this could be made into a good game but I think the first thing you should do is remove the huge delay between gun-shots. I feel like I should be able to fire as fast as I can hit spacebar (at least with a pistol)
In response to Magicsofa
Oh okay. Well that explains the CPU usage. Mm, what it will be is the targeting. It's a really complicated algorithm to ray trace here and I need to do it a lot to keep a constant picture of who is targeting who. I'll try make it update less to put less strain on the system and see if I can work out some efficiency techniques maybe.

Thanks for that help with the pistol. I think you're right. With a pistol we should at least be able to shoot as fast as we can click. I would still want to have a minimum delay though but a lot smaller than what I'm using. I just don't want people making external macros so they can shoot faster than machine guns xD

I'm still working on this and another project so hopefully I can get a new update within a few weeks. Exams are coming up so as you can see there hasn't been an update in ages.

Any spare time has gone to my other project. That other one is designed to be played with minimal CPU usage so you should be able to play it when it comes out on any computer you have I think. Or, well unless your other computer really is that bad xD