ID:97909

BYOND Version:471
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.6
Applies to:BYOND Pager

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When an update of the BYOND software is reported over the pager, downloading and updating via the pager does not appear to function on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. My user account is an administrator. I did not have any BYOND applications other than the pager open (and the pager should have been closed by then)

When I try to update, I get an error message box telling me that some files could not be updated, and that I should try again as an administrator, with a 'retry' and 'cancel' button. 'retry' just brings up the dialog again, and 'cancel' brings up an 'installation cancelled' window.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
- Get a message from the Pager indicating an updated BYOND version
- Click the hyperlink in the message
- Click the 'update' button (Or whatever it's called)
- Wait for download to finish
- Click 'ok' on 'Is it ok to update?' window.
- Get error message

Expected Results:
- Updating of the install, and maybe a UAC window

Actual Results:
- Install failure.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
All the time, for the last two BYOND updates. Have not tried updates prior to that.

In other user accounts?
I don't have any other user accounts, but this one is an Administrator.

On other computers?
I don't have any other Win7 computers, haven't test.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
I don't know.

Workarounds:
Download the update file and run it directly from the BYOND website.
I get this problem to so I just go to the website I also got this with vista x64
I run Win7 x64 myself (Administrator mode) and don't have this issue. I'm not sure what would cause this outside of permissions issues. Probably the only way to figure out what is going wrong is to log the files it's having trouble with, so we can put that in a future update (and just log in the cfg/ somewhere).

Have you tried uinstalling/reinstalling BYOND? And if that fails, you could try reinstalling to something specific to your account, such as a folder on your desktop.
Tom wrote:
I run Win7 x64 myself (Administrator mode) and don't have this issue. I'm not sure what would cause this outside of permissions issues. Probably the only way to figure out what is going wrong is to log the files it's having trouble with, so we can put that in a future update (and just log in the cfg/ somewhere).

Have you tried uinstalling/reinstalling BYOND? And if that fails, you could try reinstalling to something specific to your account, such as a folder on your desktop.

Tom want me to clarify what he means so you can understand better this happened to me on my old vista x64 and happend to me on windows 7 x64 to, He means when he gets a notification on BYOND Pager for a BYOND Update he press agree and install and all that the pager automatically closes then and a message pop ups and say error missing files or whatever and then there is an option to press retry or cancel when you press retry it will say the same thing again so then I have to press cancel and go all the way to the site and just download the update that way.

Sorry if You did understand I just figured you might have not.
Tom wrote:

I've uninstalled-reinstalled BYOND once in the past and then had it happen. I reinstalled it in Program Files (x86), though, so it's not specific-to-me. Next time there's an update, I'll try that.

I've probably got something misconfigured, but I thought it was worth bringing up.
Actually the same thing happens to me on windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. When I get the notification that there is an update, I run the update, then I just get a "Retry or Cancel" window. To fix it, I just go to byond and right click run as administrator. Fixes it.
Tom wrote:

Maybe it does work when you run it in administrator I don't know Ill try in the next update but that's bull crap I don't want to run in administrator with all these people who have no lives on BYOND and want to hack me.
Same thing in Windows 7 Ultimate 86 bit.
Rickoshay wrote:

86 Bit?
Ryuk25 wrote:
Maybe it does work when you run it in administrator

If you do not run the update as administrators it can not work by definition. The whole purpose of the administrator set up is to prevent such things to work on a 'normal' account.

For everybody in this thread with issues on updating, close BYOND, right-click the BYOND icon and select 'Run as administrator'. After the update has finished, close BYOND and run it as normal application.

Ryuk25 wrote:
I don't want to run in administrator with all these people who have no lives on BYOND and want to hack me.

You do not have to. Run only the BYOND application as administrator for the time it takes to update.
Ryuk25 wrote:
Rickoshay wrote:

86 Bit?

Yes 86 bit in windows 7 is 32 bit.

Edit: My mistake its x86 lool.