ID:97922

Not a bug
BYOND Version:471
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 8.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

When using the missle() function, they do not fully display to all players if they are offscreen. I have made a video to demonstrate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAxcChbpPbI

Note the player standing near the building, 6 red squares come from set locations and head towards the mobs object (of which you can just about see the top of on their screen). On targets screen, they see only one. And redoing this action, the one they see isnt always from the same location...

The video was taken from two seperate BYOND clients connected to the same world (and flicking between them with ALT-TAB).

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Have a missle() send something from a location off the players screen. Most of the time, they wont see any unless they had the target within view.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
obj/ebi/proc/absorb(mob/M)

for(var/obj/ebi/tribute/T in world) if(src) if(T.z == src.z) if(M.Heart)

var/obj/O = new/obj/ebi/soul
missile(O,locate(T.x,T.y,src.z),M.Heart)
sleep(3)

for(var/turf/T in block(locate(1,1,src.z),locate(world.maxx,world.maxy,src.z)))

if(!M.Heart) break

for(var/mob/S in T) if(S)

var/absorb = 0

if(!S.isdueling) absorb++
if(S.isdueling&&!S.Opponents.len) absorb++

if(absorb)

var/obj/O = new/obj/ebi/soul
missile(O,locate(S.x,S.y,src.z),M.Heart)
S.loc = locate(61,61,6)
sleep(3)
// M.Heart is the target, which is an /obj/ connected to the mob.

Expected Results:

If its source is off-screen, then I would the expect it coming onscreen towards me.

Actual Results:

I don't see anything. Sometimes i see one or two but that seems to be random (I dont always see the same ones). I definatly do not see all that I should!

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Everytime.
In other games? I expect so.
In other user accounts? Indeed.
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
If the source of the missle is in view of the target. Then it works perfectly. As soon as its offscreen is when the problems start.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?

I will endevour to try out past versions of BYOND with this issue, though im not sure how far i can go back without running into issues with compile.

Workarounds:
Use another library and dont use the inbuilt one? Thats ok, but i really dont need (personally) anything more than the simple visual effect missle gives.
Missiles don't get shown unless the source or target is in view. This is an optimization from way back. Changing this would count as a feature request.
Oh i see. I was not aware, well i guess i will just use one of the missle libs then. Thanks.