ID:98278

Keywords: techtree

Frelling stories in games.  Again!  This week,  GameSetWatch's Chris Remo interviewed Brian Kindregan on Blizzard's collaborative story process.  Meanwhile, Tom Cross' latest column of Diamond in the Rough discussed strategy game stories in general (with a focus on Alpha Centauri).

It makes me feel a bit violent.  Check out Indie Kombat.  It's a site where developers create revised versions of each other's projects.  It sounds nifty.

Devourer of Souls updated his featured hybrid of Chess and spell-casting, Witches' Chess.  Changes include options to make the window flash, a lower minimum for name lengths and a new spell.  The spell, Magic Elixir, allows players to remove one of their own pieces in exchange for magical resources.

This week, Gamemakingdude provided a BYOND Journalism review of my featured card-battling board game, PathWrath 2.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to get it to appear on the game's hub page.  BYOND Journalism should feel free to submit reposts of strategy reviews here (and link back to themselves) if they can't get them displayed on their own...  These in particular would all be welcome. ;)

Meanwhile, BYOND Journalism's Fugsnarf has begun a digest column called BYOND Weekly.  I was thinking of doing a single, site-wide version of Tech Tree if the banner guilds ever get merged, but now I can shove it all on him.  Muhuhahaha!

IainPeregine's Get Something Done challenge had few successful entries this year (possibly due to it coinciding with college and highschool finals).  However, F0lak used it as an opportunity to work on the extension of his RPG world that he hinted at in December.

Hazordhu Wars is a side-scrolling RTS where players purchase waves of units to send across the screen.  It's not finished, but it can be downloaded and it has a help file so I've added it to the guild.  Check it out.  (You might want to maximize the window as it seems to go off the side of the screen at my resolution.) =)

Meanwhile, D4RK3 54B3R has uploaded a version of his isometric RTS, FrostBurn, for those who want to see how far he got.  You won't find it on the hub page.  It was offered in the comments of the GSD results.

Sliced Death recently made some use of The Magic Man's gifts "giftans".  However, he appears to have removed the hub page for his variant of R.T.S Game.  While I'm wary of numerous copies of the same game in the guild, developers should feel free to submit projects until it becomes a problem.  They're authorized by the original creator and, for those who put work into them, going to be more complete games.

Acebloke posted the results of June's AceMedalTable. He appears to have been knocked out of the top spot by Kisioj.  Meanwhile, Nadrew has risen to 5th place.  Gratz to both.

Mecha Destroyer JD could be hosting a test session of Ultra Strife today.  I'd add the RTS sequel to the guild for easier tester access if he was sure he'd use it.  Expect the game to be completed by the end of the month.  Maybe.

Danny Roe has been working on a new game called Proximity.  On each turn, players labeled by colors will place a numbered tile.  Higher numbers will convert lower ones to their color and earn points.  The game ends when the board is full.  The highest score wins.  The game currently uses placeholder art, but Danny Roe seems happy with the progress he is making with design and programming.

Fresh from the release of Metier War, EmpirezTeam is thinking of creating a tactical action-RPG in the vein of Shining Force 3. I imagine BYOND RPG would take it, but I figured I'd point it out since the Shining series itself seems to have strayed from its tactical roots...  Besides, it gives me a chance to nag EmpirezTeam about a certain self-entitled RTS. ;)

Various developers are expanding into the strategy genre on BYOND.  Joshua50187 is trying to convert a game of Chess from C to DM.  Supamon1995 is looking to start a trading card game after some experience with RPGs.  Chitownhustla is working on his first project, a tower defense game.  Hopefully at least one of them will make it to a release. =)

Last week, I suggested that Vermolius might be creating a metagame.  However, it instead turned out to be a library to pull medal information from the hub.  Check out MedalData if you don't mind using the work of evil bubble bursters. ;)

Today, Flick opened BYOND for the first time in months and is looking into getting servers back up for his old games...  Nobody tell him about Geldonyetich.  I don't want him to think Tech Tree was cheating on him.

I uploaded a draft of the card game rules for my battle between ailing mining companies, Grim Prospects.  (Please check them out and see if you understand how to play.)  I also posted a Help Wanted ad over in the forums of The Game Crafter in the hopes of attaining some testers.  Thus far, I've had one "I'm on it!" reply and it was apparently deleted.

My combative space race, StarScurrier, now has a hub page.  I began tying my libraries together for the infrastructure.

I've settled on a silhoutte look for my unnamed, side-scrolling shooter.  I'm still determining how to generate levels.

Fooldom Come: One subscription. Many games.

Congratulations to HDstarcraft on his 100,000th subscription, but I prefer Scott Nicholson's offering. That said, it starts with a goofy sex skit so some of you might want to skip ahead to around 1:45.

It's too hot for the "Got news?" section today and there's something more important. Sign the petition from the Electronic Consumers Association that will be submitted along with their amicus brief in the case of Schwarzenegger v. EMA. Protect your gamer rights!

Great as always! I had no idea about F0laks new RTS
Flick, Mano A Mano ftw!
I'm not the only one capable of creating the game. I just made part of it easier, not sure if I'll visit the idea further sometime or not.
@Vermolius: I was just confused by the context of your "Project underway." comment. =)
Yeah, it was slightly misleading, I'll give you that.
I think it would be great if we got to see Mano a Mano again. :]

I'm still waiting on Lummox to fix some problems before starting work on Frostburn again. He said he already had the stuff fixed but it has not been since the latest update.

What. Did I just watch board game sex in the video you posted?
@D4RK3 54B3R: I think it would be great if my development-focused self looked up to notice that a featured single-server game was down instead of assuming everything was fine. =(
You know AC, you can contribute to us as well!