ID:983680

(See the best response by A.T.H.K.)
Code: No Snippet.

Problem description:

In the past, I managed to attempt the use of MySQL, as I readed all the documentation I could about it, I got it to work with Localhost. So then I wanted to test it with an external hosting provider, and tried many of them. Neither one of them retrieved good results. I didn't figure it out at the moment, but I get to the conclusion that the Hosting provider needs to have a Remote MySQL feature enabled, which none of them do.

My question is, is it feasible to use a MySQL Database on a Shell Server in which the game will be hosted, so it literally is a localhost server?

I have the -small- knowledge of sending commands to the shell with PuTTy, but I don't really know how would I set up a database in it.
It's trivial to install the MySQL server on shell systems as long as you have root access.
Just wanted to make sure before buying one, that will go to waste. I don't think I had root access, but I must find one.
Thanks fo the quick reply.
Best response
You can try http://byondpanel.com we allow for this kind of thing as we accommodate for BYOND games.
Neo Rapes Everything wrote:
I get to the conclusion that the Hosting provider needs to have a Remote MySQL feature enabled, which none of them do.

Most Cpanel hosts allow remote access, however you would have to whitelist your IP's for access. There are even some free ones out there that allow to you remotely access mySql.
So far, I knew 000webhost.om used to allow Remot MySQL, but they removed it due to abuse I guess.
Anyways byondpanel looks good as it already has MySQL and PHP already installed, which saves me lot of time.