In response to Yurokei
quick tip, try using src.loc = null instead of del(src), it helps reduce lag in the long run, but it's not relevant your questiono
Hello, I dropped by to ask a question regarding your pixel movement library.

Is it possible for me to make a mob slide over to a side if it hits a dense wall at its side?

Something like this:
http://imgur.com/JBI89

While holding down the up arrow, when the mob hits a wall on its left side, the mob will slide over to the left until it can proceed north. Vice versa for the right side.
When the user hits the wall head on, nothing happens and user cannot advance.

Is there a way I can accomplish this? Thank you for your time.
In response to Iruss
Iruss wrote:
Hello, I dropped by to ask a question regarding your pixel movement library.

Is it possible for me to make a mob slide over to a side if it hits a dense wall at its side?

You can do something like this:

mob
bump(turf/t, d)
..()

if(d == NORTH)
if(!dense(obounds(src, -pwidth / 2, 1)))
pixel_move(-1, 0)
else if(!dense(obounds(src, pwidth / 2, 1)))
pixel_move(1, 0)

When the mob bumps a wall moving north, you use obounds() to check the areas up+left and up+right from the mob. If one of those areas is open, you shift the mob left or right towards that opening. You just need to create similar if statements for each direction.

Are you using this for the player's movement when they're controlled using the arrow keys? Or is this for movement that's AI controlled?
This is for player's movement when they're controlled using hte arrow keys
Have you thought about making a Save library that helps with hashing and whatnot? I've had trouble with it all my programming life, I figure you can do it good... and right!
In response to Ganing
Ganing wrote:
Have you thought about making a Save library that helps with hashing and whatnot? I've had trouble with it all my programming life, I figure you can do it good... and right!

I've thought about it but I've never come up with a way to handle it that'd be much better than what BYOND provides. Unless you want something specific like "how to save a fixed number of characters in an RPG", there's not much a library can provide. There's just so much of saving and loading that's up to you. If there's something more specific you can think of I can give it a shot.
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
Ganing wrote:

I've thought about it but I've never come up with a way to handle it that'd be much better than what BYOND provides. Unless you want something specific like "how to save a fixed number of characters in an RPG", there's not much a library can provide. There's just so much of saving and loading that's up to you. If there's something more specific you can think of I can give it a shot.

Well I've tried a lot of libraries online for client side saving and most of them either started screwing up for some weird reason (Garthor's for example) and some people still got around. One time one of my games started denying people saying their hash wasn't right when I didn't even deal with the save system. (Guess I just have no luck with it) I'd just like a system where you can saved three characters on a clients computer but have good enough security to where they can't easily boost their stuff.
Cloud Magic wrote:
Ganing, why don't you program yourself, instead of running around with your hair on fire asking everyone else to write systems for you?

Awful mean of you. :( I have tried to write it before but I end up messing something up every single time. (You can check the developer help in the forums to see me asking for help on the code specifically)I just am accepting the fact that I suck in this area of coding and have tried to get this working without having my players go through countless pwipes so I can a system right. I figure once I see it done right, I'll be able to understand where I went wrong.
Btw, I laughed at the hair on fire lol
I never worry too much about security - if people want to edit savefiles it doesn't bother me. I've got saving and loading in the Action RPG Framework but I'm not sure if I could really turn that into a standalone library. If I add any kind of hashing or security stuff to it, I'll be sure to let you know.

Cloud Magic wrote:
Ganing, why don't you program yourself, instead of running around with your hair on fire asking everyone else to write systems for you?

I often ask people for library ideas so there's nothing wrong with what Ganing is asking for.
Are you looking for any assistance in development for your Action RPG engine? This is one of the most promising projects I've found on BYOND in years, and I'd love to help nail down additional (within scope) features if you're interested.
In response to Polatrite
Polatrite wrote:
Are you looking for any assistance in development for your Action RPG engine? This is one of the most promising projects I've found on BYOND in years, and I'd love to help nail down additional (within scope) features if you're interested.

Thanks, but I'm not sure how much more there is to add to the framework itself. I want to keep it pretty general and open-ended. While you could use it to make a game that plays like World of Warcraft, I don't want to stick every feature from WoW in there. I want people to still have the freedom to make games like Diablo or Secret of Mana.

A lot of the work will be done by adding demos. For example, there's no way the library can provide a way to display your party members on the screen because there's no way it'll know how many people could be in your party. If it'll be groups of four players it can show a larger display for each one, but if it'll be a group of 15 people you'd have a smaller display for each player. The library just needs to provide procs that get called when you need to update the display, but creating the actual display would be left to a demo. If you'd like to help make some demos, we can work on developing a list of topics.

What'll help the most is to get people using the framework. The more people use it the more things we'll realize it needs. Someone will try to create an attack that knocks enemies back and we'll realize the library could use a helper proc for knocking enemies back. If lots of people want to create puzzles with switches, doors, and pushable blocks we can include that in the library or make a demo to show how it's done.

Thanks for your interest! It'd certainly be nice to not be doing all of the work myself, so just let me know what kind of stuff you'd like to help with =)
I'm certainly interested in writing demos and I was going to suggest that sort of "modular" architecture as well, since it's important to separate out those "core" features and those "game-specific" things (which seems to be a recurring theme on the discussion board for the project).

I'd love to chat with you and you could figure out some taskings and we could get to it. Email/gtalk me at [email protected]!
In response to Polatrite
I'd like to keep this as public as possible so other people can get involved or at least follow the framework's development. I made this forum post which explains how I'd like things to progress. As people make feature requests I'll add to the lists in that post. As modules/demos/features get implemented, I'll cross things off.

I'll send you an e-mail later today so we can discuss the kinds of things you'd like to work on.
Forum_Account, I am using your Pixel Movement library and I am stuck on how to add certain macros. For example Release, Shift etc. If you could help me, I'd be grateful.

-Thank you

~ZIDDY99~
You just use the mob's key_up() and key_down() procs:

mob
key_down(k)
..()

if(k == "shift")
src << "You pressed the Shift key."

key_up(k)
..()

if(k == "shift")
src << "You released the Shift key."

If you want to check if a key is being held, you can use the client's keys list:

mob
action()
if(client)

// make the player move faster while they're holding shift
if(client.keys["shift"])
move_speed = 7
else
move_speed = 5

..()
In response to Forum_account
Oh, I see. Thanks.
The HugGroups library doesn't support images larger than 32x32 right?
That's sad...
In response to Gland Mopa
Gland Mopa wrote:
That's sad...

Im using images as large as 700x700 with the HudGroups library. You might just need to edit certain variables like it's X/Y offset, they work differently i think.

In response to Gland Mopa
Gland Mopa wrote:

I haven't tested it much with other icon sizes but it should work. I wouldn't be surprised if it had some problems but it has variables it uses for the icon size instead of hard-coding things to be 32 pixels.
Cloud Magic wrote:
I want to convert my game over that uses built-in pixel movement to your library...

I tried changing all of my bound_width and bound_height to pxwidth and pxheight but when I run my game the screen is black...

Any chance you could take a look at the source?

Sure. It'd help if you can narrow down what the problem is. My guess is that it's got to do with procs like New() or Login() but I'd have to see it to be sure. You can either post about it here or on the pixel movement library's forum.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 20 21