In response to Red Hall Dev
Red Hall Dev wrote:
The Monster Atlas wrote:
If those who are new to programming don't understand what a brace is, they are not learning properly. Braces are the foundation of current language because their predecessors used them. Though newer languages aren't including them, it's nice to have closures like semi-colons and dividers like braces in order to read code easier.

But that being said, DM is one of the easiest languages to read.

Monster Atlas please research Python. Braces are not the foundation and I do not believe there's any reason why Byond requires brace functionality except for inline statements.

Maybe you are the one who lacks research. What languages are the parents of Python? ABC, ALGOL 68, Icon and Modula-3? ABC and Icon both use braces. Maybe if you did some research on the history of programming you would understand why I said braces are the foundation of current languages. Even one of the first computer languages, Plankalkül uses braces. Maybe you just don't understand the meaning of foundation.

No one said BYOND would require braces, I'm simply stating that using braces to separate different aspects of a code will make it easier to read since the largest companies in game design use a language that uses braces.
I think we're all getting too caught up in this foundation argument.

I'm pretty sure code blocks are supported in all, or at least the vast majority, of modern programming languages. Who cares what the syntax is?

As far as aesthetics, I would argue that empty lines provide better contrast to the code than lines containing a brace. They just look like little lines connecting every block of code. I can read it, but empty lines just look cleaner to me.
It's basically preference, syntactic sugar. For publicly consumed resources like libraries, demos, code snippets etc, it obviously favours you in terms of consistency to use the community convention as DarkCampainger mentions, and take the white-space syntax approach.

There's not really much to be said intellectually, beyond that, is there?
Page: 1 2