ID:991213

Are there plans to add code folding/auto-complete, multiple code windows (not tabs) and/or definition lookup? Or am I better off writing my own IDE.
Most, if not all of them have been requested. Most appear to have been marked as non-feasible though.

As I understand, ExPixel has resumed development of JDMIDE, so we might see these features in his IDE.
Non-feasible?? That's ridiculous, coming from Visual C# to BYOND's Dream Maker is like working with cave man tools.
It is a notepad with syntax highlighting! This aggravates me very much, too bad I can't do anything about it.

Remind me why BYOND doesn't go open source?
Just use Eclipse and launch dm.exe to compile.
Those have been asked for I guess more important things are on the list at the moment, And I do believe Tom hasn't replied to the majority of the feature requests...

But yes it's like working with a twig and a leaf instead of a knife and fork.
I know, you guys have it so hard.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Just use Eclipse and launch dm.exe to compile.

Not really the point as BYOND is a tool set and comes with an IDE.

Yes we may have a work around but that's not a concrete solution.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I know, you guys have it so hard.

There was no need for that Tom, I was merely pointing out that compared to other IDE's it's not as flash.
Comparing the IDE to a "twig and leaf" is a little dramatic. A lot of professionals use "vi" to program still.

I gave a perfectly valid workaround if you want a flashy IDE: use Eclipse. It is extremely modern and has plugins so you can easily launch another program (in our case dm.exe) when you want to compile. You'll have to use the BYOND IDE to make maps unless you want to parse the map format, but that's a pretty small part of development. You can use photoshop or paint shop or MS paint to do icons, since DMI is just PNG + comments.

BYOND holds your hand quite a bit but sometimes you're just going to have to think outside of the box.
vi is fine if you don't have a GUI at disposal, but as you said we would still need something to create a map with...

BYOND holds your hand quite a bit but sometimes you're just going to have to think outside of the box.

Very true, but still it's no concrete solution you have to admit the IDE isn't up to scratch compared to the IDE's of today's world.
It usually isn't up to the creator of a language to provide an IDE for it, just be glad we have what we have because we could be using notepad for it instead.

The BYOND IDE is actually one of my favorites due to how simple it is; and I use a few different IDE's.

There's a reason why most IDE's are created by third-parties; the people working on the language itself generally have more things to focus on than making a 'purdy IDE' for everyone. Obviously this holds true for BYOND as well, because there's already someone else working on a more indepth IDE.
In response to Nadrew
That's fair enough. JMIDE has ceased work once, What are the chances that it won't do that again, or that the developer will keep it up to date with BYOND.

[EDIT] nano and Notepad++ are my favorite, matter of fact I use nano to create DMCGI apps a lot of the time..
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
That's fair enough. JMIDE has ceased work once, What are the chances that it won't do that again, or that the developer will keep it up to date with BYOND.

That's not something JMIDE is unique about, projects go dead all the time; perhaps ExGenesis will open-source the project so it won't ever die.

Like I said, it's not really up to Tom and Lummox to provide a super-feature-rich IDE, we're lucky we get provided with as much as we do because most languages don't offer that.
In response to Nadrew
I think you mean ExPixel.
Whichever, I don't really keep track of these things :)
I don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes here at BYOND, but from my view point, there are a lot of memberships being bought.

When BYOND starts taking 30% of the profit made from games, I expect some of that to justify a nice environment to develop with, which is why I choose to disagree with your statement, Nadrew.

I've been paying for BYOND memberships on multiple accounts since they began, what 6-7 years ago? If I have to be 'lucky' to have a basic IDE for paying support to BYOND for 7 years, I will no longer choose to do so.

I guess my point is, BYOND makes money, which puts it into a different ball-game. I, as a paying supporter of BYOND, would like (and expect) to see a more robust IDE from the developers, from a customer stand-point.
Thanks for the work-around, Tom.
Not as many memberships as you'd think; BYOND is barely keeping its head above water.

You're not paying for the programming suite, you're paying for the perks mentioned on the membership info page. Anything extra is just that, extra.

I'd much rather see the language and back-end get work instead of the IDE; which as the tabbed window feature has proven is a giant timesink for Tom and Lummox and detracts from real development too heavily.
JDMIDE has always been open source...
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Not as many memberships as you'd think; BYOND is barely keeping its head above water.

I'm not interested in your excuses. Meet Shifter's demands or we will hunt you down, tie you up, toss you into the back seat of my Mini Cooper, drive you to an abandoned warehouse that just so happens to be close enough to pick up Wi-Fi from a nearby McDonalds, and hold you captive until you implement all the features we've been requesting.