In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
Eternal_Memories wrote:
I like your ideas, but I doubt Tom is really thinking about making the engine again from scratch. Maybe if more people bought a BYOND membership and would also donate, he could afford for new coders to work with him, but I doubt this'll happen soon.

I think what FIREking was stating is that we have to move forward and leave the old technology behind ;P

Not talking about a re-write at all. Talking about doing all the stuff they refuse to do because it would break stuff. There are so many useful and powerful features that we could have had by now that they can't add to the engine because it would be too awkward to implement in a backwards compatible way. In other words, its time to say its ok that backwards compatible stops at a line drawn "here" (like version 5, for example) and just move on from 13 year old code base they continue to support. The old code base doesn't have to go away or disappear, in fact if they are smart about it they can make dream seeker have a version of its self packed in that is activated when older builds are called up. An example of this type of technology is Starcraft 2. Every update would break the old, but the old version of replays for example could run in an "emulation" mode. BYOND doesn't even need to do it this complicated, they could just distribute two exe's or two dll's, one for each fork. But anyways, there's lots of ways they could go about this and it doesn't really matter how they go about it, as long as they decide to go this route to ensure the future of BYOND.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
Eternal_Memories wrote:
I like your ideas, but I doubt Tom is really thinking about making the engine again from scratch. Maybe if more people bought a BYOND membership and would also donate, he could afford for new coders to work with him, but I doubt this'll happen soon.

I think what FIREking was stating is that we have to move forward and leave the old technology behind ;P

Not talking about a re-write at all. Talking about doing all the stuff they refuse to do because it would break stuff. There are so many useful and powerful features that we could have had by now that they can't add to the engine because it would be too awkward to implement in a backwards compatible way. In other words, its time to say its ok that backwards compatible stops at a line drawn "here" (like version 5, for example) and just move on from 13 year old code base they continue to support. The old code base doesn't have to go away or disappear, in fact if they are smart about it they can make dream seeker have a version of its self packed in that is activated when older builds are called up. An example of this type of technology is Starcraft 2. Every update would break the old, but the old version of replays for example could run in an "emulation" mode. BYOND doesn't even need to do it this complicated, they could just distribute two exe's or two dll's, one for each fork. But anyways, there's lots of ways they could go about this and it doesn't really matter how they go about it, as long as they decide to go this route to ensure the future of BYOND.

That's what I meant about moving forward :P
Page: 1 2