NEStalgia

by Silk Games
NEStalgia
A unique MORPG inspired by the gameplay of classic console RPGs
ID:99649

NEStalgia is turn-based online RPG game created by SilkWizard, founder of Silk Games. The action of the game takes place in the fantasy Middle Ages, in the world of magic and mystical creatures. You start the game as a character with no memories who is a time traveler, named champion by mysterious voice and individuals that comes from the future and attack you.

Let's start our adventure with NEStalgia. After pressing enter button / clicking on the text, we are brought to character selection screen.

As you can see, I already have the character, Lvl 14 Soldier. Despite this fact, I am going to create new character, Wizard named Kisioj.

There we are, class selection screen, I did not subscribe (8$ for 1 year) so I can only choose one of 4 out of 8 classes, I already created soldier few days ago, so as I stated before, I will try the Wizard this time.

On the customization screen, I decided to change my head type to the one with hat, primary colour to light red and secondary colour to dark red.

As I already said, the character is going to be named Kisioj, just like my BYOND Key :).

The game starts by short clip that shows how your character got to the small scope in the cave. You can skip the clip or wait for it to end. After the clip ends, you can play. What I find really nice is that the game gives you really helpful tips at start. When you move few tiles in the NORTH direction, the way splits into WEST & EAST directions, then game informs you that there is a chest on the WEST and you should go there. I did as the game told me, opened the chest and equipped the weapon which I found in it.

Equipped and prepared for the trip through the dark cave, I traveled on the EAST, it was only a matter of time before some ninja-looking assassin came from the future and attacked me. I was really scared but after really long and hard-fought battle, I defeated him.

"YEAH I did it! I killed assassin!" After cutting assassin's head I did put it in my pocket. This fight made me even more confident and raised my faith in my fighting abilities. Time to go to the town..."

I felt like the town was too quiet and peaceful for the player who already has solder on 14th level. I decided to switch my characters, skip the first town and go sightseeing the second town - Balzackia. Before I go, I will show you starting stats of wizard, displayed on game's simple but nice looking HUD:

Switching characters...

Ok, I already switched from my Wizard Lvl 1 to my Solder Lvl 14, everything because I really like the Balzackia city, it's perfect place for sightseeing. Photos that I made during my tour in Balzackia can be found below.

Innkeeper is a really kind guy and my close friend. We meet often. He lets people to sleep on soft beds in his rooms and it's really cheap. Sleeping on these beds is very relaxing so it will make you regain your HP and MP points in no time.

Did I mention about quests before? No? That's bad... So... there is a lot of NPCs in the towns that want something from you and give you various quests; from really easy tasks to extremely difficult missions. After finishing a quest, you usually get a good reward so it's alright. For ex. this guy wants me to find him a royal wine, probably because he wants to make his woman drunk and then touch her in private parts of body her. Well... I don't really care how it will end..."

Banker - this guy is also my friend, I visit him regularly to protect my money. When you are defeated by enemies, you lose half of your money so just in case, I deposit my money in bank to eliminate the risk of losing it after somehow being accidently defeated in battle.

"What the heck is this?" you ask. It's a marketplace where you can buy items cheaper than in the shop. People from the entire world put their items here to sale, attracting potential customers with low prices and quality articles.

Since I am the famous and invincible level 14 Solder, Kisioj that even level 30 characters are scared of, I left the city to have fun and hunt some dangerous monsters.

To my amazement, instead of monsters, in the trees I spotted some kind of the house. In the house there was a beautiful lady and sleeping gay named Acheron. The lady gave me quest - "Acheron's Awakening", sounds familiar? Probably yes, name of the quest has the same name as SilkWizard's other game, Acheron's Awakening. Anyway, I feel really tired and sleepy, so I will just do the last thing and go to bed.

Yeah! You were right ;) Fighting multiple enemies is what I wanted to show you. Too bad I couldn't find people to my party. It's possible to have 2 other people fighting along with you against monsters, since party can have maximum of 3 people. Fighting in the party is much easier and gives your character more experience. There exists especially strong monsters called bosses, some of them can be defeated only in the party since they are too strong to be beated solo.

The End

Gameplay:(Quality of play experience, user-friendliness of interface)
This game is really easy to start and play, controls are simple, interface include everything that is needed for players. Game has guide and automatically gives helpful tips to the new players. Showing in-game clips from time to time improves game's atmosphere. The only thing that annoys me is the need of party to defeat some bosses and since player base in the game is low, you have to choose between waiting for party or keep fighting the same monsters for years till you will be strong enough to kill the boss just by yourself.
8/10

Presentation:(Quality of graphics, sounds, etc.)
I could say that graphics are perfect if we were 20 years ago, but since we have 2010 now, all I can say about the graphics is that they are average; not so good-looking and annoying at start, but since all game is done in the same art style, it makes you start liking the art after some time. About the sounds, I really like the sound effects and music in the game, NEStalgia is probably the game that has one of the best sounds usage on the BYOND.
7/10

Originality:(How original is the concept or style of play?)
If we were talking only about BYOND I could say it's quite original project. The only games on the byond that I've played and that had similar battle system (which is the main system of the game) were pokemon games. NEStalgia is unique BYOND game but it also has many similarity to old PC games, and even RPG Maker projects. Style of play isn't something new to me, it isn't something that I haven't already played before.
5/10

Overall:(What is your general impression of the game?)
This is a great and good quality game. If you haven't played it yet, I recommend you to do it. It's something really unique if we talk about BYOND gaming only and it will give you hours of fun.
8/10
Good review, I hate how the legs of people constantly move though! Lol, I know that's how it's supposed to be though :P.
I like the animated gifs and the balanced score.

Really, while I've got into a few spats with SilkWizard (the dude's definitely got a game developer's ego) there's little doubt that NEStalgia is an absolutely top notch use of BYOND. He should advertise it outside of BYOND.
I'm ok with this.
Shadow813 wrote:
Good review, I hate how the legs of people constantly move though! Lol, I know that's how it's supposed to be though :P.

They're running on the spot, got to burn them calories.
Crazah wrote:
Shadow813 wrote:

They're running on the spot, got to burn them calories.

Yea, lmao. I can over look it for a good game though, it's just a small pep peeve of mine I guess. I put quite a bit of time into this game myself.
I think one of the main flaws that he needs to change is that parties of 2 players are treated the same as parties of 3 players (same amount of monsters/experience, but 1 less player). This makes it so that it is actually better to travel alone than with a friend.
Quaddw wrote:
I think one of the main flaws that he needs to change is that parties of 2 players are treated the same as parties of 3 players (same amount of monsters/experience, but 1 less player). This makes it so that it is actually better to travel alone than with a friend.
---
Really? I thought the fatal flaw was the fact he directly replicated Dragon Warrior's gameplay.
Whoa the animated gifs are really cool! Thanks for the review :)
I give you the ranking of: "Guy who actually gives a sh-t about his reviews!"! To be honest, best review I've seen. (Talking about the layout and whatnot), I love how it shows small snippets of the game, like a review should!
PerfectGoku wrote:
Really? I thought the fatal flaw was the fact he directly replicated Dragon Warrior's gameplay.

Then again, that's obviously what he was aiming for.
PR_Man wrote:
PerfectGoku wrote:

---
Which is another example of his idiocy.
PerfectGoku wrote:
Quaddw wrote:
---

Its still a step up from using WoW icons directly I guess.

http://yfrog.com/nfsilkwizardlolp
Gotta be one of the best reviews I've ever seen posted on this site. Hope to see many more from you!
PerfectGoku wrote:
PR_Man wrote:
PerfectGoku wrote:

---
Which is another example of his idiocy.

The problem isn't copying Dragon Warrior's gameplay, the problem is copying so many things from WoW *except* the combat. The best part of WoW is combat but the game uses DW-style combat. Mashups work because you can combine the best elements of each source, not the worst!
The emulation of Dragon Warrior's gameplay was a stylistic decision, not a game mechanically inclined one. Silk Wizard is nostalgic for those old NES games, that's the whole point behind the title of NEStalgia.

It's a MUD that emulates the kind of RPGs you'd play on the NES. For those who pine for those days, it's an awesome idea, really. It's like, "woah, somebody made more Dragon Warrior, and it's online with other players, woah!"

I wonder if there's a way to track down those kinds of players and let them know the game exists?
Pretty good review, the only part I have to complain about is that it could use a spelling and grammar check. I saw the word "solder" like 5 times.
Geldonyetich wrote:
The emulation of Dragon Warrior's gameplay was a stylistic decision, not a game mechanically inclined one. Silk Wizard is nostalgic for those old NES games, that's the whole point behind the title of NEStalgia. It's a MUD that emulates the kind of RPGs you'd play on the NES.

Nestopia emulates the kinds of RPGs I'd play on the NES =)

Nostalgia seems to be more excuse than inspiration. Game designers have come to realize that many of the gameplay mechanics in old console RPGs were annoying and horrible. Dragon Warrior wasn't fun because it was an excellent game, it was fun because there were very few games like it. As game designers we should be able to learn from this and make a game that is both a tribute to a classic game and an interesting game in its own right.

It's a shame that BYOND's more-polished games (Regressia, as another example) don't push the envelope more, either technically or in terms of game design. Showing that a program that originated as an RPG maker can make RPGs on the level of 20 year old games is not that impressive. I think that Kajika's Mega Man game is a better example of what BYOND is capable of, at least it speaks of BYOND's versatility.
@Forum_account

I really can't disagree with anything you just said, but I will say that there's definitely room in this world for folk who really wanted to play a NES RPG taken online, and NEStalgia and Regressia were created with that in mind.

Aside from it's 2D tile-based, Internet latency restricted limitations, BYOND is a remarkably flexible platform. If you want to make a game that resembles a NES RPG, you can. If you want to make a game that resembles Mega Man, you can. There's nothing wrong with that, it's Your Own Net Dream, right?

Personally, I look at BYOND in terms of its capabilities as a graphical-capable Internet MUD that simulates a shared virtual space, and think that this later method is probably the most interesting utilization. See Space Station 13 or Dungeon Master, for example. However, I hesitate to say that my preference suits everyone.
To call NEStalgia a WoW clone would be to call it an Everquest clone, and before that an Ultima Online clone, etc. The best games build upon the established foundations of those that have come before them.

At their core all oldschool JRPGs are very similar: the whole point of NEStalgia was to capture that look and feel. I've had just as many players say that the game is a copy of Final Fantasy or Pokemon as I have who have brought up Dragon Warrior. This is probably my greatest success: NEStalgia is the amalgam of everything that made those classic games so much fun. It conjures up different nostalgic feelings in everybody.

To my fanbase of trolls who never fail to show up in these threads:

NEStalgia's only hardcore critics are people who hate me or who are jealous of the game's unquestionable quality and the talent that was required to create it. This attitude is pathetic, because competition between developers here is absolutely meaningless.

BYOND is like the Special Olympics of online game development. Most of you can barely form a complete sentence, much less design a game. The rest of the people who might actually be capable are generally too nerdy to function and spend their time making pointless proof-of-concept tech demos using DM. For someone to actually make a real game around here is a miracle.

In other words, I get about as much of an ego boost from being one of the best BYOND developers as I would from winning a 3rd grade spelling bee. No one cares -- including me.
Page: 1 2