ID:99781

Resolved
Importing a blank icon could crash the icon editor in certain cases.
BYOND Version:474
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.8
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I actually stumbled upon this by mistake and imported the wrong file, but it is a bug nonetheless. Albeit one that likely hardly matters.

Anyway, if you create a blank icon file and try to import it into another with something in it, DM crashes. It doesn't matter whether you compile or not, if it's blank DM will crash. Everytime.

If you import a blank file into another blank one, nothing happens. But then if you try to open another icon file, crash. Not always though, but I did get it to crash a couple of times using this method.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Open DM.
2. Create a new icon file. Leave it empty.
3. Create another icon file, but put something in this one.
4. Import the first file into the 2nd.
5. Crash.

alternatively:

3. Create another icon file, leave blank.
4. Create a third icon file, put something in it.
5. Import file 1 into file 2, or vice versa.
6. Try to open file 3.

Expected Results:
Nothing. The icon file was blank.
Actual Results:
DM Crash. Only sometimes in the alt. case

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
So far anyway for the first case. sometimes with the alt. case.
In other games?
Dunno. Probably.
In other user accounts?
Probably. Unsure.
On other computers?
Again, probably. But unsure.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When the icon file isn't blank.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Both previous builds (472, 473) that were released recently had the same issue.

Workarounds:
Don't import a blank file.

I was not able to reproduce this reliably. I got a problem just once when retesting but in all other cases there was no issue and I haven't gotten it to happen again since, so this is apparently very intermittent which is why it didn't show up in earlier testing.

There's some confusion though on whether the issue is importaning a blank file or importing into a blank file; your report isn't consistent on that. The only time I ran into trouble was when importing into a blank file, but again that only happened once and I haven't been able to get it to recur no matter what I try.

The numbered steps you listed don't produce the issue for me. If you can still get this to happen on a frequent basis, please document each step you take along the way to do it. It will help if the steps start with opening DM, so it's on a clean slate.
Sorry, it was about 2am last night when I wrote that. Rather than attempt to explain it again, here is a video showing all the steps I took, from scratch, to crash it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6yF0HVwhmk
Sorry, it's a tad blurry. I recorded it at half resolution to keep the file size down.

As you'll notice, importing a blank icon file into a file with an icon in it results in a crash, both before and after compiling. Importing a blank file into another blank one results in a crash ONLY IF you attempt to open the file you tried to import.

In the video I started with a fresh environment. But, I've been able to reproduce it in an existing one as well.
Ah also, here's is the event log information. I meant to include that in the prevous post. Sorry for the double post.

This fault code was for the crash with importing a blank file into another blank then trying to open the imported file.
Faulting application name: dreammaker.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4c58ce52
Faulting module name: byondwin.dll, version: 2.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4c58ce3f
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x000677b2
Faulting process id: 0x1338
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb34051564e91e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreammaker.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\byondwin.dll
Report Id: 565d86b2-9ff8-11df-8743-001e6850cff0

This fault code was for importing a blank file into a file with an existing icon in it.
Faulting application name: dreammaker.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x4c58ce52
Faulting module name: byondcore.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4c58ce32
Exception code: 0xc0000094
Fault offset: 0x00051045
Faulting process id: 0x15dc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb340389e1b26f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\dreammaker.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\BYOND\bin\byondcore.dll
Report Id: d0f3121e-9ff6-11df-8743-001e6850cff0
Thanks, that video looks like it should be very helpful. It is a little hard to see due to the resolution but it's not too bad. I'll see what comes up.