ID:45246
 
Keywords: review, ss13
Space Station 13 by Exadv1
Stay alive inside Space Station 13
27850 fans · Created Feb 16 2003
Gameplay
There is a huge learning curve for space station 13 and you will not pick the game up automatically on your first try. Though there has been a recent open source development which has created a new mode, properly named sandbox, which is a great place for beginners.

The controls are quite simple, the arrow keys are the basic movement while left mouse click controls almost everything else in the game such as attacking or picking up an item.

This game has goes moderately deep in depth as you can literally pickup or destroy approximately any item on the space station. But doing so comes with a price as it could potentially have an effect on the future conclusion of the current role playing experience. There are several different modes ranging from Extended/role-playing to Traitor. Though the game’s mode varies, the basic gist of the game is to keep the space station up and running and also survive.

The game’s setting is on a space station, which is divided into several quarters in which numerous occupations can be spawned to. Users can explore outside the boundaries of the station into the not known areas of space.

Each occupation contributes a modest portion to the game. The medics heal the injured and fatally wounded while the engineers keep the place intact. Before each round starts, if there is more than one player online, a captain will be randomly chosen to help guide the space station’s crew.

Presentation
The game seriously lacks a highly detailed guide for first time players; because of this the learning curve is increased. At the time you login you will be greeted with what one could say a character creation window. You can choose you’re character’s appearance, occupation, and even what diseases and disabilities they have.

The graphics consists of a non animated mob in which you can change its clothing according to your profession. Every graphic in the game is very basic but some how fits perfectly for the style of the game.

Originality
I have still yet to find a game which resembles space station 13, which saddens me. Role playing on a space station while trying to keep your crew together is a nice idea that most space related games should take into account.

Overall
Though Space Station 13 does have its downsides, it has a potentially great role playing environment. If you join the right server, you could have a role playing session which can last for hours. I highly recommend this game to users who are looking for an open source role playing community which is built on space enthusiasts. The game only gets better and better as the users contribute more.
Here is a side note that I did not deem would fit on the review. When developing a rank for the game play I did not factor in how numerous players within the space station 13 community ruin the role playing experience. Mainly because I consider game play how it is suppose to be played and how dedicated members play the game. Just because a few members ruin the game does not automatically game the game awful.

(I posted this just to avoid post which say space station 13 sucks due to the community)
Best damn SS13 review I've read yet. Well written and phrased, great job.
I don't agree with the whole "it only gets better and better as users contribute more". That is, if you are referring to OpenSS13.

My version has clearly been much better than any other version, be it OpenSS13 or not, that has been out there. Yet when I want to share my changes with the community, I am met with a middle finger and soon everybody is ranting and raving about me not contributing properly.

Isn't the whole point to contribute about the fact that you ARE willing to contribute rather than the way how you contribute?

Okay, fine, bad example given how I've "contributed" in the past on BYOND itself, but the point should get through: if I want to share my changes, but lack the time to convert my source-code to byte-sized chunks for OpenSS13 to ingest, wouldn't it be natural to accept the changes and let somebody else do it?

Ultimately I was face-to-face with a bunch of people who were insulting my Asperger's syndrome and pretty much casting me out of the community just because I was diagnosed with this years ago -- instead I was expecting that my changes would be welcomed, not rejected because the project manager sees OpenSS13 to be about the same size as the entire UNIX operating system.
>> My version has clearly been much better than any other version, be it OpenSS13 or not, that has been out there. Yet when I want to share my changes with the community, I am met with a middle finger and soon everybody is ranting and raving about me not contributing properly.

Please explain how you were contributing and why they weren’t accepting it? Maybe they would not want to accept your changes as because of the following words, “My version has clearly been much better than any other version”. Instead of insulting the developing community you should give them a bit more respect and motivation.

From what I have heard, they accept contributions; just post your small patch on their forums. But if you are basically just changing every single thing, and expect them to use it I doubt they would accept that. I believe the Open SS13 official developers rather have small patches than a whole rebuild.

>> Okay, fine, bad example given how I've "contributed" in the past on BYOND itself, but the point should get through: if I want to share my changes, but lack the time to convert my source-code to byte-sized chunks for OpenSS13 to ingest, wouldn't it be natural to accept the changes and let somebody else do it?

When creating a patch it should probably be a plug and play, why should the Open SS13 staff have to change the source code up just because you weren’t willing to cooperate with the standards?

>> Ultimately I was face-to-face with a bunch of people who were insulting my Asperger's syndrome and pretty much casting me out of the community just because I was diagnosed with this years ago -- instead I was expecting that my changes would be welcomed, not rejected because the project manager sees OpenSS13 to be about the same size as the entire UNIX operating system.

It’s a shame users would insult a fellow member and I believe that is wrong. But the great thing is if you do not like the current direction Open SS13 is going you could start your own community and create your own hub.
Android Data wrote:
Ultimately I was face-to-face with a bunch of people who were insulting my Asperger's syndrome and pretty much casting me out of the community just because I was diagnosed with this years ago -- instead I was expecting that my changes would be welcomed, not rejected because the project manager sees OpenSS13 to be about the same size as the entire UNIX operating system.

Replace "Asperger's Sydrome" with "complete lack of any ability whatsoever to work with anyone else" and your claim of "insult" ("didn't accept my changes because of") is a tiny bit correct. Do not use your (likely self-diagnosed) "disease" as a crutch.

Also, given your past overly arrogant attitude, why were you expecting a warm welcome? Or even a not-so-antogonistic "hello"?
gee whiz, and here i thought you weren't full of shit when you said you were leaving ss13 forever and didn't care about it any more.

wait no i didn't
The world could do without comments like that, thanks.
Android Data wrote:
I don't agree with the whole "it only gets better and better as users contribute more". That is, if you are referring to OpenSS13.

My version has clearly been much better than any other version, be it OpenSS13 or not, that has been out there. Yet when I want to share my changes with the community, I am met with a middle finger and soon everybody is ranting and raving about me not contributing properly.

Isn't the whole point to contribute about the fact that you ARE willing to contribute rather than the way how you contribute?

Okay, fine, bad example given how I've "contributed" in the past on BYOND itself, but the point should get through: if I want to share my changes, but lack the time to convert my source-code to byte-sized chunks for OpenSS13 to ingest, wouldn't it be natural to accept the changes and let somebody else do it?

Ultimately I was face-to-face with a bunch of people who were insulting my Asperger's syndrome and pretty much casting me out of the community just because I was diagnosed with this years ago -- instead I was expecting that my changes would be welcomed, not rejected because the project manager sees OpenSS13 to be about the same size as the entire UNIX operating system.

COBALT SAYS:
Data, no one likes you because you're a dick, not because you have a condition. You're too cocky about how you think your version is better when, if it's rejected so often, it sucks. That or everyone hates you too much to trust you enough to try it.

I just want it to be known, that I was the one who made the comment, if a person with asperger's syndrome(I was refering to ANY Disease/Disorder) cannot work as a team and doesn't try, there is NO point in continuing trying to let them be part of the team.
ZJM: While Data has issues, but HE HAS made statements in the past THAT HE WOULD want to try. He has said he wanted to improve his team skills, while admitting they were poor.

Cobalt7: If everyone called the ceiling the floor, would it make it so? There are also alot of rejected things in the world which are actually infact good. I wouldn't say Data's version is better, but it has different features, many of which improve the game.
I've played Data's version and in fact I didn't like it. Mainly due to the fact that the station that he created... well it sucks to be blunt.

I am yet to find a station I like better than the original. The original station could use small improvements, but redesigned completely? No.

Now as far as different versions, OpenSS13 has a whole host of great features and new things. Especially their AI, it's amazing. The ability for the AI to control pretty much anything to a level above and beyond all others. It's not just click and a door opens, it's click and you have a host of abilities you can do to that door.

Now Feo's version is also very good. It has an amazing admin system, which the current OpenSS13 could use an improvement on.

Truthfully I think that if Feo's version was combined with OpenSS13 lots of great things would come of it.
@Ryackov

He said that we had to accept him and his disease as he would remain an asshole in some of his previous posts. I didn't see a need to take any sort of an abuse on an opensource project I do in my spare time, so I said good riddence. I just wanted to make that clear.
Because this game definately needs more reviews.
Actually Vexonater, I did not see any good reviews for Space Station 13, if you find one please feel free to point it out. So with that being said, I decided to make my own review which isn't bias.
Stop insulting eachother, kay? This is a review not an all-out bitch slapping competition.

It was a god review.
Holy shit, everywhere Data goes that has ANYTHING related to SS13 he gets flamed?
How mature.

@VistaBeta

Every single admin that Feo(might include himself) has sucks at admining.
172.16.0.1 wrote:
Please explain how you were contributing and why they weren’t accepting it? Maybe they would not want to accept your changes as because of the following words, “My version has clearly been much better than any other version”.

Back when I was originally working on my version, OpenSS13 wasn't what it is now: it was a group of people who had commit access to a SVN. One of these people was Zjm7891, who proceeded to threaten me with a forum ban if I posted "-- Data" at the end of my posts ever again. The rude nature of this caused me to believe in the corruptness of SS13.NET and staff, which includes OpenSS13.

From what I have heard, they accept contributions; just post your small patch on their forums. But if you are basically just changing every single thing, and expect them to use it I doubt they would accept that. I believe the Open SS13 official developers rather have small patches than a whole rebuild.

After the whole "-- Data" issue was resolved by removing the rule that forbade it, then I chose to stop using it on their forums and put it in my signature instead.

At this point my version was already beyond anything that could be simply translated into a patch, but I offered to give it anyway: Murrawhip, who then led OpenSS13, said that my changes would not be used in OpenSS13. This saddened the Data.

When creating a patch it should probably be a plug and play, why should the Open SS13 staff have to change the source code up just because you weren’t willing to cooperate with the standards?

At the beginning I was kinda mad about the whole "let's put everything in a seperate .dm file!" mantra of OpenSS13. But I got over that. I heard one day that Murrawhip had been kicked out overnight and replaced by Stephen001, so I contacted him: I would give him my source-code so he and his team could put the goodies from my version into OpenSS13 as needed. I was not able to make a patch myself, since I had exams coming up.

Stephen001 refused this, and began telling me about how Linux open-source works. This has led me to firmly believe that OpenSS13 consists of people who consider the project to be elite, that is above even the UNIX project in size.

When I want to contribute my changes so I can see a game becoming better, and they get refused because "if I'm permitted to do this, 4000 other people will also want to do the exact same thing", then what am I to do?

Last thing I remember, there was a rant I wrote in which I complained about all of this. Eventually they started calling me an asshole so I shrugged and made a reference to my Asperger's syndrome -- and then every goon and SS13.NET staff comes online to tell me how it's self-diagnosed (it's not), how it's not a real disorder, etc.

I'm especially mad about the goons, as they started this whole mess in the first place, and still expect my respect after they've constantly insulted the very creator of this game.
Tahujoe wrote:
Replace "Asperger's Sydrome" with "complete lack of any ability whatsoever to work with anyone else" and your claim of "insult" ("didn't accept my changes because of") is a tiny bit correct. Do not use your (likely self-diagnosed) "disease" as a crutch.

Oh, I'm sorry, but I thought that in an open-source environment the "working together" part was dulled out somewhat since each person contributes things on their own.
Page: 1 2 3