So the other day.. I decided to go check out the Pokemon games here on BYOND. The quality; not so great.
Saying that, I decided to attempt making a Pokemon demo to see if it's possible to make a quality Pokemon game here on BYOND. The results: very possible.
Took me 5 days(would've taken less except I had a few major setbacks and I've been hooked on Rise of the Pirates) to throw THIS together.
I tried to make it as authentic as possible(although a few things are missing). What I think, is that too many Pokemon game developers here on BYOND are too focused on adding hundreds of playable Pokemon and 50 trainers. This is old. This concept was here since what, 5+ years ago? I think that in the time these developers are adding in all this content they could better the gameplay mechanics to provide a better experience. Just my opinion, and it doesn't just go for Pokemon, it goes for other games as well. Too many of us are focused on things like "I'm gonna add 30 clans and 300 Jutsu then my game will be number one!". This idea is flawed. It's 80% game mechanics that hooks a player. The other 20% content.
Naruto Shinobi Universe
I haven't touched up on this since I started working on the Pokemon demo, but from the few things I've learned from working on the demo, I'm going to use to work on game mechanics a lot more to bring a really solid experience. Not the I haven't been already, but I'll try harder to think outside the box.
The most recent updates I've made were mainly a lot of patches/bug fixes, balancing, and I decided to squeeze in Deidara's "Clay" clan. It's pretty damn sexy.
note: the tree shadows shown here have been changed.
Special thanks to UPD4T3 for revamping C3 shown in the picture above.
Also I plan on having alpha testings in a week or less from now. Depends how well things go. What I was wondering though: should I have the alpha like every other Naruto game where it's basically a small representation of what the full games gonna be like? Or should I go with players joining into a large destroyed battlefield where they fight until the opposing village's shinobi are all wiped out? The victors will earn a random amount of skill point based on the amount of shinobi they kill on the opposing side.
What do you guys think on both the Pokemon Demo and NSU alpha?