ID:265180
 
Buying in game money with BYONDimes, then being able to gamble with your in game money, then exchanging the in game money for BYONDimes?
I dont plan on making 'DogMan's Palace' or anything, but I was just wondering if its legal or not.
-DogMan
Strangely, I was thinking of doing just that! Basically a casino type idea would be along those lines. If you're interested in trying it with me give me a buzz. My AIM name is DBHavenMaster.

.::DBHavenMaster::.
In response to DBHavenMaster (#1)
Nah, I think I'll pass on that. Too many people would complain we were rigging the games.
-DogMan
In response to Dog Man (#2)
You mean like real casinos?

Anyways, it probably would be illegal if you didn't have an age verification system. There may be some loophole that could make it otherwise legal but I doubt it.
In response to English (#3)
It's not that real casinos "rig" the games. The odds are mostly so much against you that they might as well be rigged.
In response to OneFishDown (#4)
It would be too obvious if they were rigged. I'm talking about an honest casino system.

.::DBHavenMaster::.
In response to OneFishDown (#4)
Actually, remarkably, casinos don't rip you off, nor are the odds really all too against you. Most casinos take a 7% cut of all money that comes in -- the rest comes out as jackpots. Slot machines and other machines are designed with odds in mind that make their payouts 93% of all money that comes in.

Of course, one thing you should realise: even if you win money, the sum of the money going in is less than the money you win. In other words, everyone who gambles loses money.

Like they say, the lottery is a tax on people who don't know how to do math. ;-)
In response to Spuzzum (#6)
Not always true: I once walked up to a friend and he told me that if I flipped a coin and got tails that he would give me that coin (it was a golden dollar deal). Otherwise, I had to buy him lunch. I flipped it and got tails, fair and square. He wanted to go double or nothing, but I walked away with the dollar. Was it a gamble? Yes. Did I lose any money? No.
In response to Lord of Water (#7)
I once found a penny on the ground when I was 6...
In response to DBHavenMaster (#5)
Of course it wouldn't be rigged, but how would people know it isn't? If enough people play it, some people will win a bit, some people will lose a bit, and it's possible that one person might lose quite a lot. To them it might seem easier to claim "it's rigged" than to say they have bad luck.
In response to DBHavenMaster (#5)
There's one flaw to the idea of a casino game. If a lot of people get lucky and win, you have to shell out your own dimes, they don't just appear out of no where. So in a way, making a casino game could turn into a gamble on its own. My point is, if you make one make sure you have plenty of dimes just incase.
In response to OneFishDown (#9)
-What if someone didn't lose at ALL, you may think they were cheating, and what could you do about it? It would either come to legal matters or a huge grudge fight.

-You would almost never be able to host it because of bugs. Its almost impossible to catch every single bug. There is always some RAT trying to get money. This would be the perfect prey for rodents like him.

-I did a little research and from what I see... it is illegal to make a casino in any shape or form without a permit, since you would be dealing with actual U.S currency. Im sure no one would notice it though. LOL. It would be safe not to do it in most aspects.

- But you COULD make a world with 'fake' money and have people gamble and see who wins after possibly 4 hour rounds or somthng of that sort?
In response to Sitting Bull (#11)
Sitting Bull wrote:
-What if someone didn't lose at ALL, you may think they were cheating, and what could you do about it? It would either come to legal matters or a huge grudge fight.

If they didn't lose at all, they probably didn't play much. I doubt anyone would make a game like this, because I don't think they'd risk their dimes, and I don't think anyone would play it if someone did [make it].
In response to OneFishDown (#12)
Im sure SOMEONE would test it our... mabey a dime or too... but most likey not to much.
In response to Daemon5532 (#10)
Daemon5532 wrote:
There's one flaw to the idea of a casino game. If a lot of people get lucky and win, you have to shell out your own dimes, they don't just appear out of no where. So in a way, making a casino game could turn into a gamble on its own. My point is, if you make one make sure you have plenty of dimes just incase.

Funny -- when I was in college, I learned this lesson the hard way. I created an elaborately-calculated payoff table using three dice to simulate a slot machine, and went from dorm room to dorm room cajoling my friends into trying. I called it "Risky Dick's Traveling Casino".

It was the perfect scheme... until one of them chose the high-risk quintuple-or-nothing option (the "Risky Dick" for which the casino was named) several times in a row and cleaned me out.

It was disappointing, but fun for the hour or so that it lasted. Who knows what kind of criminal mastermind (or jailbird) I'd be today if things had gone differently?
In response to Lord of Water (#7)
Your friend's not a casino... and if he kept gambling like that, he'd run out of money, and couldn't gamble any more. Now, if a casino runs out of money, it goes broke and has to stop. Obviously, casinos are businesses. They have to make money. It is therefore axiomatic that a casino takes in more money than it gives out.
In response to Spuzzum (#6)
I consider any system that portrays everyone as a winner but is designed to make you lose (even if it is only 7%) rigged.

They are basically deceiving less mathmatically inclined people into making assumptions that aren't really true. It may be those peoples faults but I still think it's dishonest :p
In response to Gughunter (#14)
Considering you're a criminal mastermind now, I don't think there'd be any difference.

(Oh, by the way... the shipment comes in this afternoon.)
In response to English (#3)
English wrote:
There may be some loophole that could make it otherwise
legal but I doubt it.

Like hosting it off-shore - but don't ask me, I don't believe I would want to host casino games on the digitalBYOND servers.
Dog Man wrote:
Buying in game money with BYONDimes, then being able to gamble with your in game money, then exchanging the in game money for BYONDimes?
I dont plan on making 'DogMan's Palace' or anything, but I was just wondering if its legal or not.
-DogMan

In addition to the legal issues of online gambling mentioned elsewhere in this thread (some would say because of them :-)), you would be faced with the problem that there is no "world.PayDimes" proc to pay BYONDimes from world.key to the key of a logged in client. Users would only be able to exchange their "DogManPokerChips" for BYONDimes at times when a game admin is logged in to authorize the transaction.
Page: 1 2