Would it be possible to set the cache folder (and preferably everything in it) to be hidden? Possibly also giving it a random name per computer/player/install. This should help slow down the resource extracting nooblies, and since BYOND now has an option in the pager to clear the cache; it shouldn't cause too much trouble.
Since some moron is undoubtabley going to bring up the "ZOMG they'll just use screen shots!!!11231!43oneyone!1" argument; I'll go ahead and slap you down now. Lets go ahead and look at that process:
Required for Both:
1. Log in to a game.
2. Wait for resources to download.
Screen shot ripping:
3. Take a screen shot
4. Take another screen shot because that first one didn't have the desired frame in it
5. Paste said shot into MS paint or a like application.
6. Copy the area directly around the desired frame
7. Paste into a BYOND icon
8. Delete all background pixels surrounding the frame, being careful not to accidentally delete part of the desired frame
9. Repeat the above 11+ times
10. Copy, paste, and flip the east frames to the west
11. Realign all of the frames because your ripped character is bouncing all over the place
12. Setup the delays on each frame.
- After 10-60 minutes, you now have a single walking state, from a single icon, which in all likelihood isn't a perfect replica.
3. Start Program
4. Select Cache Folder
- After 10-60 seconds, you now have every icon, perfectly preserved.
This would be like a bank saying: "Well, if they want the money bad enough; they'll just rob us. So why should we even bother setting up any type of security, trying to stop them in the process, or punishing them afterwards?"