ID:133261
 
Since 900% of games on BYOND are rips of the same 3-5 sources anyway, wouldn't it be possible to make cached resources check per file, instead of checking per game? This way once I've already downloaded the icons from zeta rips 1-99 I won't have to do it again when I log in to rip # 100
While this is hilariously pragmatic, I don't think BYOND sees resource caches with that granularity, making the change difficult on the downloading end. To complicate matters, you'd probably need to checksum files and throw that into resource files to ensure they really are the same.

Edit: Lummox trumped me again. Clever system we've got going on in that case.
Falacy wrote:
Since 900% of games on BYOND are rips of the same 3-5 sources anyway, wouldn't it be possible to make cached resources check per file, instead of checking per game? This way once I've already downloaded the icons from zeta rips 1-99 I won't have to do it again when I log in to rip # 100

BYOND already does check per file. The problem is, a lot of rips like to change a lot of little things, so they tweak an icon here, a music file there, and suddenly you have different resources.

The better question probably is, why spend all your time playing rips?

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR (#2)
Lummox JR wrote:
The better question probably is, why spend all your time playing rips?

I don't really play any games on BYOND, not even my own aside from testing them, the only ones that have ever interested me were castle/castle 2 and DMO... Seika and Mystic journey weren't bad back in the day.

I just like to log in to the games that claim to be "100% Original" and see how original they really are... they're rarely original <.< and every time I do this I seem to end up downloading 4+ MB of resources that I already have from their other "100% Original" buddies
In response to Falacy (#3)
Falacy wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
The better question probably is, why spend all your time playing rips?

I don't really play any games on BYOND, not even my own aside from testing them, the only ones that have ever interested me were castle/castle 2 and DMO... Seika and Mystic journey weren't bad back in the day.

I just like to log in to the games that claim to be "100% Original" and see how original they really are... they're rarely original <.< and every time I do this I seem to end up downloading 4+ MB of resources that I already have from their other "100% Original" buddies

The rips usually have a ton of resources, so when you see a new anime game come up out of the blue and it has like 10MB of resources, you can safely assume it is a rip.
In response to Lummox JR (#2)
Lummox JR wrote:
BYOND already does check per file. The problem is, a lot of rips like to change a lot of little things, so they tweak an icon here, a music file there, and suddenly you have different resources.

I was just thinking about this, and if the system checks on a per-file basis and not a per-game one, how would it know if two games had two different icons that were named the same thing? Would it just overwrite it every time you logged in to the other one and their contents didn't match?
In response to Falacy (#5)
Falacy wrote:
two different icons that were named the same thing?

Why would the system check the name of the icons? The name is completely irrelevant for display. If I create two different icons with the same name, they will both be cached. If I create two equal icons with different names, one icon will be cached.