ID:182423
 
Runescape got another graphical overhaul
watch the vid in high quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFIgCIjKGMs
Oh, how nice... it's too bad that game (I use that term lightly) sucks.
In response to Silicon Viking (#1)
Silicon Viking wrote:
Oh, how nice... it's too bad that game (I use that term lightly) sucks.

Its far better than any of the rips on BYOND
In response to Falacy (#2)
Comparing Runescape to BYOND rips is stupid in my opinion. Runescape has advanced so much since it first began. Sure some things went the wrong direction but that was all from hackers and people that wanted to cheap the game.

I, personally, play Runescape on a regular basis and I love it. It gives a new meaning to patience and gameplay. It's not all about killing monsters. You could do awesome quests and mainly, train all those stats they keep adding.

All that rips offer the players is either instant gm...or instant death.
In response to Falacy (#2)
Wow. Now that is an accomplishment.
In response to Kaioken (#4)
Hmm, not bad, I suppose. Certainly better than a lot of other MMO's, but it is lackluster. I used to play Runescape, but, about a year or so ago I quit. All the newer updates, to me, have completely failed. They took out one of the funnest parts of the game, which was PKing in the "Wild." =/, Anyway, good for them for updating it though :-).
2 words:
Trade limit.
In response to DisturbedSixx (#3)
The problem with runescape is that the updates or most updates are member-only.

I used to play it too but when they started doing that I left.

_>
In response to Andre-g1 (#7)
Andre-g1 wrote:
The problem with runescape is that the updates or most updates are member-only.

The problem with Runescape is that, like other MMORPGs, it's just a chatroom with a whole lot of repetative tasks attached.
In response to Silicon Viking (#8)
This is why I tend to try and find twitch-combat based online games rather than stat based ones. I tried EVE a while back and I was disappointed that they'd actually managed to make a space combat game boring.
In response to Silicon Viking (#8)
Silicon Viking wrote:
The problem with Runescape is that, like other MMORPGs, it's just a chatroom with a whole lot of repetative tasks attached.

lol I find it quite funny that you keep complaining about MMORPG quality/gameplay while sitting here on byond
In response to Monkeyness (#5)
Monkeyness wrote:
Hmm, not bad, I suppose. Certainly better than a lot of other MMO's, but it is lackluster. I used to play Runescape, but, about a year or so ago I quit. All the newer updates, to me, have completely failed. They took out one of the funnest parts of the game, which was PKing in the "Wild." =/, Anyway, good for them for updating it though :-).

Yeah, nothing to do without the wilderness. I expected a lot more out of the update.
In response to Hazman (#9)
Hazman wrote:
This is why I tend to try and find twitch-combat based online games rather than stat based ones. I tried EVE a while back and I was disappointed that they'd actually managed to make a space combat game boring.

I agree. EVE was terrible.

Now, Freelancer was awesome! I don't know about the online play though, cause I only had the demo.
In response to Falacy (#10)
Falacy wrote:
lol I find it quite funny that

On that note, I could probably mention as well I find a lot of your posts funny, including those in this thread. =) So thanks.

you keep complaining about MMORPG quality/gameplay while sitting here on byond

That statement is quite funny, considering:
1) There are no MMORPG's in BYOND that I know of, and BYOND's capability to even handle those is limited; additionally, if there were MMORPG's on BYOND, they'd be different than the common MMORPGs talked about in this topic - 2 obvious things that immediately come to mind is 2D and tile-based movement.
2) The BYOND suite is not even primarily designed for ORPGs, and while it supports them well it also supports a plethora of other game types just as well (and better). Therefore, being on BYOND doesn't warrant liking RPGs at all.
In response to JaxxMarron (#12)
Freelancer was awesome. I'd like to see an onling game with the economy of the X series and the combat of Freelancer, which is exactly what I expected EVE to be but it was jut missing the combat. EVE was pretty but at the end of the day it was just another grindtastic MMORPG.

[Edit] talking of which, Hardwar does this pretty well although I don't think there are many dedicated servers for it.
In response to Hazman (#14)
Hazman wrote:
Freelancer was awesome. I'd like to see an onling game with the economy of the X series and the combat of Freelancer, which is exactly what I expected EVE to be but it was jut missing the combat. EVE was pretty but at the end of the day it was just another grindtastic MMORPG.

[Edit] talking of which, Hardwar does this pretty well although I don't think there are many dedicated servers for it.

Word, yo.
In response to Kaioken (#13)
Kaioken wrote:
That statement is quite funny, considering:
1) There are no MMORPG's in BYOND that I know of, and BYOND's capability to even handle those is limited; additionally, if there were MMORPG's on BYOND, they'd be different than the common MMORPGs talked about in this topic - 2 obvious things that immediately come to mind is 2D and tile-based movement.

Any mediocre programmer who's familiar with BYOND knows how to create a 3d environment in BYOND and knows how to implement movement that isn't "tile based" (Runescape is tile based too, people. It's just that they're small tiles :P )

2) The BYOND suite is not even primarily designed for ORPGs, and while it supports them well it also supports a plethora of other game types just as well (and better). Therefore, being on BYOND doesn't warrant liking RPGs at all.

This statement is absurd. BYOND, since the DUNG days, was designed for MUDs. Almost every game on BYOND is a ORPG as well, though a good number of them are ripped off of eachother.
That shouldn't mean anything though, other than the fact that a good number of individuals in our community are just stupid.


On another note, I'm impressed that Runescape managed to squeeze out dynamic shadow maps and relatively high polys as a Java application. I have seen other Java games with higher resolution textures though.


In response to D4RK3 54B3R (#16)
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
Any mediocre programmer who's familiar with BYOND knows how to create a 3d environment in BYOND and knows how to implement movement that isn't "tile based"

Even disregarding that statement being quite wrong <small>(for one, 3D is impossible in BYOND, only psuedo-3D is possible, which is a poor imitation with incomparable graphics)</small>- good luck creating a proper online* multiplayer game with that, let alone a massively* online multiplayer game. =P

* Also, might as well mention that BYOND is also incapable and not designed to handle massive amounts of players like MMORPGs. Yes, I hear your "multiple servers" argument a mile ahead, so I'll also mention a typical MMORPG hosts at least a couple thousands of players in a single server, whereas in BYOND you're considered lucky to be able to handle 100.

This statement is absurd. BYOND, since the DUNG days, was designed for MUDs.

Why, BYOND clearly isn't primarily designed to handle MUDs. Perhaps DUNG (ie, BYOND in the past) was, but if MUDs were still the main purpose, we wouldn't have so much icon and visual functionalities, if at all, seeing as MUDs are traditionally text-based, after all.

Almost every game on BYOND is a ORPG as well, though a good number of them are ripped off of eachother.

This also doesn't mean anything, not to mention you've countered your own statement yourself. If you're missing the point: similarly, you could say that BYOND was designed primarily for horrible rips and clones of anime games, because that's what almost every game on BYOND is. As you can see, this isn't a proper argument to use here.

All in all, BYOND is quite capable of handling lots of types of games; from board games and other turn-based games to action and strategy games, including ORPGs. However, a MMORPG is a genre BYOND clearly isn't capable of pulling off, but I would not consider that a particular disadvantage at all; like others in this thread, I generally consider MMORPGs as crap and think they suck.
In response to Kaioken (#17)
Kaioken wrote:
Even disregarding that statement being quite wrong <small>(for one, 3D is impossible in BYOND, only psuedo-3D is possible, which is a poor imitation with incomparable graphics)</small>- good luck creating a proper online* multiplayer game with that, let alone a massively* online multiplayer game. =P

Oh I didn't say anything about massively multiplayer online games. There's a considerable difference between ORPGs and MMORPGs (Diablo II and WoW, respectively).

In any case, you misinterpreted what I said. I said a 3d environment, not a 3d graphical engine. I still believe that a 3d graphical engine is possible in BYOND, however. One with comparable graphics to Runescape? Probably not, but I never said that it could do that in the first place.

* Also, might as well mention that BYOND is also incapable and not designed to handle massive amounts of players like MMORPGs. Yes, I hear your "multiple servers" argument a mile ahead, so I'll also mention a typical MMORPG hosts at least a couple thousands of players in a single server, whereas in BYOND you're considered lucky to be able to handle 100.

Why, BYOND clearly isn't primarily designed to handle MUDs. Perhaps DUNG (ie, BYOND in the past) was, but if MUDs were still the main purpose, we wouldn't have so much icon and visual functionalities, if at all, seeing as MUDs are traditionally text-based, after all.

All in all, BYOND is quite capable of handling lots of types of games; from board games and other turn-based games to action and strategy games, including ORPGs. However, a MMORPG is a genre BYOND clearly isn't capable of pulling off, but I would not consider that a particular disadvantage at all; like others in this thread, I generally consider MMORPGs as crap and think they suck.

Again, perhaps I wasn't being very articulate in what I was saying. You're biased against BYOND's capabilities as far as creating MORPGs go. And again, perhaps I was using the wrong terminology. DUNG was designed for Graphical MUDs. Not just the text based ones.

I'm not arguing against BYOND's capabilities as far as other game genres go. I'm primarily an action games developer. I'm just saying that BYOND isn't as incapable as you make it out to be. Have faith in the development suite, damn.

And here's a separate question for you. What the heck is Massively supposed to mean anyway? What's the definition of Massive in MMORPG?
In response to D4RK3 54B3R (#18)
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
And here's a separate question for you. What the heck is Massively supposed to mean anyway? What's the definition of Massive in MMORPG?

Being capable of supporting a lot of players in one world. A "lot" would be a comparable amount to other MMORPGs, thousands, or even tens of thousands basically.

Anyway, I can't help but laugh at this. It has been like... 10 years now, and Runescape still has graphics that make it look 15 years old. Hahaha. What is even funnier is that they have the balls to call it "high detail".


Also, blahblah Runescape worst MMORPG ever blahblahblah MMORPG a rubbish genre with nothing to offer blahblahblah just fancy looking graphical chat rooms with grindan blahblahblah.
Page: 1 2 3