As I've been playing around with the browse() function, I've been thinking of how players can write their own books, letters, notes, etc within the game.
It serves several purposes:
1. Internal, in-character post office and mailing system can be devised
2. Players can write their own history books
3. Players can write their own spell research books within game (actual spell research recording will be different, this will just be individual player notes)
4. Players can create song books (lots of bardic types out there)
5. Players can write their own strategy guides
3. Any other uses I can't think of
The basic requirements:
1. Ability to limit space (a single sheet of paper is smaller than a bound book of fifty pages)
2. When read, shows in the browser window
3. Players do not need to know HTML or any markup language (though it can be used)
Nominally, I don't really want them writing files to the server, though I'd say okay if this was the only way. The text should be stored with the object.
Originally, I thought I'd just store the information in a variable like obj/book/var/bookContent with some routine to check the number of words or character spaces.
Does anyone have some thoughts on this?
Copyright © 2015 BYOND. All rights reserved.