ID:276063
 
who decides the top ranked games?
God does Jimmy, God does...

Hehe, sorry.
In response to Rockinawsome (#1)
http://games.byond.com/hub/TopRankedGames ... Top ranked only in Admin eyes...You people over look unpublished games/DBZGames. Naruto Online is the top ranked game on byond. It is the most popular game. Next to Naruto Online is Dragonball Live 2-Second most popular game.
In response to DragonOfDoom (#2)
DragonOfDoom wrote:
http://games.byond.com/hub/TopRankedGames ... Top ranked only in Admin eyes...You people over look unpublished games/DBZGames. Naruto Online is the top ranked game on byond. It is the most popular game. Next to Naruto Online is Dragonball Live 2-Second most popular game.

I dont think they base it on how many people play the games...
In response to DragonOfDoom (#2)
Most popular games should have their listing, they should differ from top ranked though, top ranked should be from the admins stand point.
In response to DragonOfDoom (#2)
That Naruto Online game and DBZ game things are fan-games, not original games with decent gameplay </flame> (I know mods, I know. :/)

Anyway on topic, this is from an admin's eyes, most popular doesn't mean the top ranked. For example, many would use Microsoft Windows XP, but I'm sure that Linux, OpenBSD and other *nixes are rated much higher in the food chain.
In response to DragonOfDoom (#2)
DragonOfDoom wrote:
http://games.byond.com/hub/TopRankedGames ... Top ranked only in Admin eyes...You people over look unpublished games/DBZGames. Naruto Online is the top ranked game on byond. It is the most popular game. Next to Naruto Online is Dragonball Live 2-Second most popular game.

As was pointed out, most popular and top-ranked don't mean the same thing. For now Incursion is the top-ranked game, because only a few people have been ranking games and that's been the overall favorite among them. I'm quite sure that will change when more people are ranking games, which will be soon. As more people have a chance to list their favorite games, the rankings will undoubtedly shift.

Case in point: Proelium currently ranks 10th. I'm guessing that shoots up to #1 as more people get involved.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR (#6)
Lummox JR wrote:
As was pointed out, most popular and top-ranked don't mean the same thing.

Case in point: Proelium currently ranks 10th. I'm guessing that shoots up to #1 as more people get involved.

Further proving that neither most popular nor top-ranked mean a damn thing. :)
In response to Lummox JR (#6)
Ironic that your game gets the #1 spot, lummox.
In response to Nyck (#8)
Nyck wrote:
Ironic that your game gets the #1 spot, lummox.

Lummox has nothing to do with the ranking of his game...and the current rankings are effectively part of a testing process. The system will roll out for real shortly, and people will have an opportunity to contribute.
In response to Nyck (#8)
Nyck wrote:
Ironic that your game gets the #1 spot, lummox.

Not really; it's just indicative of the fact that the pilot group is quite small. I very much expect Incursion will remain highly ranked because it's got a lot of broad appeal, but I definitely don't think it's going to stay in the #1 spot.

Similarly QuickStep is rated #3 right now, but that will change because although it's popular while hosted, a lot of people don't give it a second thought when considering their favorite games. Of the few who are making those considerations now, several do rate QuickStep highly, including myself.

The nice thing about this system is because of the way it's been structured, it's not going to get flooded with DBZers and such. I imagine quite a few will get involved, but overall the rankings don't lend themselves to being skewed by masses of people, which is essentially what goes on in the live list right now. The game rankings are going to reflect, much more realistically, players' opinions of quality games.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR (#10)
Lummox JR wrote:
Similarly QuickStep is rated #3 right now, but that will change because although it's popular while hosted, a lot of people don't give it a second thought when considering their favorite games. Of the few who are making those considerations now, several do rate QuickStep highly, including myself.

Of course, I rated just about everything Gazoot has done at the top of my ratings. His games are amazing!
In response to DragonOfDoom (#2)
DragonOfDoom wrote:
http://games.byond.com/hub/TopRankedGames ... Top ranked only in Admin eyes...You people over look unpublished games/DBZGames. Naruto Online is the top ranked game on byond. It is the most popular game. Next to Naruto Online is Dragonball Live 2-Second most popular game.

I've never heard of most of the top ranked game, and some you can't even play. >_>

P.S. This isn't gonna get filled with everyone voting for there favorite DBZ game is it, because I'd hate to see every top ranked game be a fan game.

-Mike
In response to Nadrew (#11)
Another amazing game is Tara'Ka:Carpe Noctem, I'd like to see that on the list.
In response to Nyck (#13)
I wouldn't worry about what on and off the list at the moment.
In response to Nyck (#13)
Nyck wrote:
Another amazing game is Tara'Ka:Carpe Noctem, I'd like to see that on the list.

Perhaps it wasn't clear so far, but the idea is to expand the rankings out into the community, so soon a lot more people are going to be listing their favorite games and therefore influencing the ranks. It's not like a select few people are ranking games and taking suggestions for what goes on the list each month; it's going to change very dynamically as the BYOND user base chooses their favorites.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR (#15)
When you say "a lot more people", is that suggesting that the group that select the ranked games will always be a shortlist of people selected by byond's admins ? or will lowlifes like me ( who just poke their heads out now and again ) be able to pick too ?

Sorry if I've got totaly confused at whats going on, I think I'm still recovering from not having caffiene for a month.
In response to Acebloke (#16)
The BYOND staff will have no say in who ranks the games, it's up to each individual to decide for themselves. Everyone will have the opportunity, but not all will take it. It's really up to you, but we hope everyone will want to join in the fun.

~X
In response to Xooxer (#17)
Ah good, thanks for replying.
In response to Acebloke (#16)
Acebloke wrote:
When you say "a lot more people", is that suggesting that the group that select the ranked games will always be a shortlist of people selected by byond's admins ? or will lowlifes like me ( who just poke their heads out now and again ) be able to pick too ?

It will not be an admin-selected group in any way. Game ranking and other things will be open to many many people.

Lummox JR
Page: 1 2