ID:182453
 
What the crap is it notifying me of (I seriously don't really know)? Also, shouldn't it actually, y'know, tell me that after I click it?
If you've clicked on it and it's not showing you anything, you've already looked at the stuff it wanted you to look at.
Kaioken wrote:
What the crap is it notifying me of (I seriously don't really know)? Also, shouldn't it actually, y'know, tell me that after I click it?

What is it showing you when you click it? You're usually supposed to get taken to your home page and depending on if it's something like updates or comments, whatever is new will be highlighted in yellow.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Seems like you aren't a member, that may be the issue. Maybe they should either remove it for nonmembers or make it more convenient for them.

Off Topic - I'm guessing when someone makes a thread in Byond Features it doesn't necessarily have to be a suggestion for it, interesting.
In response to Hulio-G (#2)
Hulio-G wrote:
Seems like you aren't a member, that may be the issue. Maybe they should either remove it for nonmembers or make it more convenient for them.

Maybe. I actually saw this topic there now for some reason, but I'm pretty sure whenever it was flashing red (it wasn't now :O) there was nothing of note there on the right-hand side... hmm. Well, thanks for explaining what it does, anyway.

Off Topic - I'm guessing when someone makes a thread in Byond Features it doesn't necessarily have to be a suggestion for it, interesting.

Sure, it ain't "BYOND Feature Requests" (Discuss, query, and request features for the BYOND software and website.)

Popisfizzy wrote:
If you've clicked on it and it's not showing you anything, you've already looked at the stuff it wanted you to look at.

I guess that could be part of my confusion, though I believe I sometimes clicked it first before doing anything else upon visiting the site, so that's still odd (or maybe I'm blind and missed that small message at the side all the time?). But that's something that should be fixed, anyway (stop alerting if I've already viewed what you're alerting me of).

EDIT: Hulio, guess you should use a thumbnail instead, huh?
I get this sometimes too. The red atom spins, I click, no new messages or posts are listed. Very strange. I think I know what's going on, though. When someone replies to one of your forum posts, it updates the atom and leaves you a little message. However, if someone makes a post after that in the same thread (or possibly in another thread, I'm not really sure), BYOND seems to forget what it was supposed to tell you to look at, but still thinks you need to be informed, so the atom spins, but the message is now lost. If you look around the forums, you should see a reply to one of your posts. At least, that's what seems to be happening when it does it to me.
In response to Popisfizzy (#1)
Nope. That's not true. I've had this happen before and it didn't list things it should have, even though I haven't read them yet.
In response to Kaioken (#3)
Kaioken wrote:
Hulio-G wrote:

Off Topic - I'm guessing when someone makes a thread in Byond Features it doesn't necessarily have to be a suggestion for it, interesting.

Sure, it ain't "BYOND Feature Requests" (Discuss, query, and request features for the BYOND software and website.)

Heh, seems they moved the thread anyway. I'm coming to the conclusion that when they click byond features they're only looking for ideas or suggestions they can add to improve the software rather then discussion or query.

EDIT: Hulio, guess you should use a thumbnail instead, huh?

Yeah I'll consider next time, you're getting annoyed by how it stretches the screen I suppose.
The spinning atom is cached, which updates whenever you look at your "home" page that lists your alerts. It's possible this is alerting you of cases where a new post/comment was made and then it got deleted before you could check. For a guild submission, maybe someone else approved it. BYOND admins also get this alert for other things and sometimes other admins get to the item first. Various things could contribute to an alert disappearing, so that's probably all it is.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR (#7)
If you're alerted via your pager and you use the link in your pager to view the comment. The red logo will still be spinning when you load the page.

Then when you go to check, there's nothing to tell because you've already read it.
In response to Tiberath (#8)
Any chance of getting a feature to turn it off it annoys me so much i think theres something important but it never is.