In response to Fugsnarf (#39)
Why moderate? People should be allowed to advertise their games here on the forums, as long as they're doing it productively and aren't spamming. They could even add a new/official category just for that, once this change is in place.
In response to Falacy (#40)
Falacy wrote:
...as long as they're doing it productively and aren't spamming.

That's precisely why we need to moderate.
In response to Fugsnarf (#41)
Fugsnarf wrote:
That's precisely why we need to moderate.

Maybe so. I'm just saying the mods shouldn't delete every topic/post that crosses their path - like what currently happens with the Classifieds
In response to Falacy (#40)
This would still be a problem, seeing as the forum would be flooded with, "Bleach: Super Mega Zeta 9001".
Perhaps a system of authentication, but that would be restricting things a bit too much..
In response to Kumorii (#43)
Kumorii wrote:
This would still be a problem, seeing as the forum would be flooded with, "Bleach: Super Mega Zeta 9001".

lol that's almost exactly what those forums would be. It should be assumed, beforehand, that if you're going to that new category, you're looking for a "new" rip to play.
In response to Falacy (#44)
Either way, I think it would be a step forward by doing this, although there would likely be a hell of a lash back, considering how stupid people acted with Facebook ordeal.
In response to Kumorii (#45)
Kumorii wrote:
considering how stupid people acted with Facebook ordeal.

There was a facebook ordeal?
In response to Falacy (#46)
Yeah, a bunch of people thought it was stupid to involve BYOND with a social networking site. I don't remember all the ins and outs of it, but I'm sure you could read the first few pages of comments when it was announced.

http://www.byond.com/members/ BYOND?command=view_post&post=93334#comments

Probably search for some of the blog posts too.
In response to Kumorii (#47)
Dun dun dunnnnn. Weren't most of those people all pissy because they thought BYOND stuff would be spamming them all over facebook without permission? Which wasn't even the case, and they were all just complaining about it before it even came out.
In response to Falacy (#48)
Pretty much.
In response to Latoma (#29)
Latoma wrote:
This. My God please this -.-.

BYOND is dying as is, no reason to let it continue as is.

Dying? I guess you haven't been here very long at all. BYOND used to have a mere 500+ players on at any single time, if we were lucky we'd bump a 1,000. Now, we have more than 10x that at almost any given time.

We need to cut things in at the gut. We need to cut down the blatant stupidity.

Great idea. Let's start with this thread because, it's becoming nothing but a large flame war.

A LOT of communities that I've seen/heard of ignore BYOND simply because "it's nothing but rips".

I wouldn't know. I don't venture into other communities. They're all too negative for me and unhelpful. Not to mention that I'm not impressed by Game Maker or the likes. BYOND far surpasses the "competition" in terms of light years.

Cut those freaking rips out and let people with an IQ over 40 in on BYOND at last.

This I can agree with. But, everyone fails to see the man power required to do this. Unless you have a large dedicated staff to do just this, it's not going to work. Even then, you'll have tons of the author's whose games were not deemed fit for the hub coming here flooding the forums along with their patrons complaining.
In response to Teh Governator (#50)
Teh Governator wrote:
Great idea. Let's start with this thread because, it's becoming nothing but a large flame war.

There hasn't been a single "flame war" post in this entire thread, until the one you just made.

BYOND far surpasses the "competition" in terms of light years.

What are you considering "competition"?

This I can agree with. But, everyone fails to see the man power required to do this. Unless you have a large dedicated staff to do just this, it's not going to work.

If they implemented the simple change I suggested, removing the option to add new hubs from non-members, I bet most rip hubs would be dead within a month.
In response to Teh Governator (#50)
Read what Falacy said.
You probably haven't been around very long to know how things have been collapsing slowly.

Sure, BYOND may have more players online nowadays, however, subtract all the narutards and DBZ fanatics, and see what you're left with.

In response to Kumorii (#52)
Kumorii wrote:
Read what Falacy said.
You probably haven't been around very long to know how things have been collapsing slowly.

Fair enough. I have been absent from BYOND for a couple of years now but, it still doesn't seem as bad as everyone's making it out to be.

Sure, BYOND may have more players online nowadays, however, subtract all the narutards and DBZ fanatics, and see what you're left with.


Though they may be annoying, you can't just dump on them because, they aren't the fanbase you anticipated. Instead of trying to lose potential fanbase, why not make a game that utilize's BYOND's capabilities well that you can market to them and others? The player's are here, they just need to be led.
In response to Kumorii (#36)
How would this pan out in terms of retroactiveness? Would all current hubs be deleted and then Members could remake them, or will they stay in place?

On one hand, it gets rid of Naruto Bleach Z: The Great Salami Poobah (Not a Rip & Orginal Base Adition) and its seven thousand cousins, but it also... well, deletes everything.
In response to LordAndrew (#54)
LordAndrew wrote:
How would this pan out in terms of retroactiveness? Would all current hubs be deleted and then Members could remake them, or will they stay in place?

As it says; the only change (for now) is the removal/replacement of the "Add new game" link for non-members. It would have no effect whatsoever on existing hub entries.
In response to Falacy (#51)
Falacy wrote:
Teh Governator wrote:
Great idea. Let's start with this thread because, it's becoming nothing but a large flame war.

There hasn't been a single "flame war" post in this entire thread, until the one you just made.

BYOND far surpasses the "competition" in terms of light years.

What are you considering "competition"?

I hardly consider a 3D gaming platform to be on the same level as BYOND. BYOND obviously is marketed towards a different group of people.

This I can agree with. But, everyone fails to see the man power required to do this. Unless you have a large dedicated staff to do just this, it's not going to work.

If they implemented the simple change I suggested, removing the option to add new hubs from non-members, I bet most rip hubs would be dead within a month.

It sounds good in theory but, all the major rips you see now are already members anyhow...I'm not saying it wouldn't take care of a good amount of ripped game's but, the ones that are already there are sort of "grand fathered" in so to speak. I'm all for the improvement of BYOND but, radical ideas won't help it in the long run.
In response to Teh Governator (#56)
Teh Governator wrote:
I hardly consider a 3D gaming platform to be on the same level as BYOND. BYOND obviously is marketed towards a different group of people.

You can easily make a 2D game with Unity. With access to a ton of additional features, and a far superior UI. But I can see your point.

It sounds good in theory but, all the major rips you see now are already members anyhow...I'm not saying it wouldn't take care of a good amount of ripped game's but, the ones that are already there are sort of "grand fathered" in so to speak. I'm all for the improvement of BYOND but, radical ideas won't help it in the long run.

That's not really a problem. The few rips that currently get players are the top played rips (duh...?), and they should stay around to keep that player-base here. The problem is that there are literally thousands of copies of those same exact games on the hub. They get few (if any) players, and do nothing but make the hub look spammed, unprofessional, childish, and as if it were nothing but anime rips... which for the most part it is.
http://www.byond.com/ members/?command=top_search&type=games&sort=pop&page=200
In response to Teh Governator (#56)
Teh Governator wrote:
It sounds good in theory but, all the major rips you see now are already members anyhow...I'm not saying it wouldn't take care of a good amount of ripped game's but, the ones that are already there are sort of "grand fathered" in so to speak. I'm all for the improvement of BYOND but, radical ideas won't help it in the long run.

I'll have to agree with this. Even if this gets implemented, rippers either already have a membership, or will get one to put up their new hub. After all is said and done, the rips and false advertisement will still be there, and you've barred non-members like me from having a space for potential quality games. It's a pretty good solution ideally, but realistically, it's a lose-lose situation.
In response to Mega fart cannon (#58)
Mega fart cannon wrote:
I'll have to agree with this. Even if this gets implemented, rippers either already have a membership, or will get one to put up their new hub.

There are currently 5,000+ visible games on the hub. Figure 90% of those are rips, and 90% of those are owned on unique keys, that leaves about 4,000. That's $72,000 in their pocket they wouldn't have had otherwise.

After all is said and done, the rips and false advertisement will still be there, and you've barred non-members like me from having a space for potential quality games. It's a pretty good solution ideally, but realistically, it's a lose-lose situation.

The rips will die down, guaranteed, maybe not die completely, but a major portion of them at least. If we're lucky they might disappear completely.
Getting a quality game listed should be as easy as posting an ad for it. If nothing else, I'll make a key that does nothing but list quality games for others.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 8 9