Im going to post the update given by Goten84 on our forums here. I know youve been waiting awhile to hear something about dboII's progress.
This update is coming a bit late, but I hope we don't disappoint you guys with all the work we've been doing. First and foremost, the team has been progressing on this game very nicely! June and July was a month where Chris went all out to get the Earth map completed and just about ready for release. We're still going to be doing touch up work, but it was a huge step in the right direction.
Here's the latest statistics on the game.
Dragonball Online 2 (Current "Working" Version): 0.0.23
Release Status: Private testing on the official server
There aren't any screenshots for this release, but we're planning to give you some nice goodies in the next version (very nice goodies ). Just in case you didn't know, we've been privately releasing versions within the team to test and find bugs so that I can fix them as quickly as possible. Since April we've gone from 0.0.1 - 0.0.23, and in a few days I will be releasing 0.0.25. Next week we will be working on DBO2 version 0.0.3 which will mark a huge milestone in our progress with the game. A lot of the content will began to manifest in 0.0.3, and we will update you guys with more ki attack goodies. Here's just a few things I've been doing in regards to the 0.0.25 release:
1) New version of the Soul Reaper Engine has been released for DBO2 to use. DBO2 uses the Soul Reaper engine to manage the game's resources and handle user login/saving. Any core feature DBO2 uses is powered by the Soul Reaper Engine. The new version of Soul Reaper allows for more flexibility in what DBO2 can do with it, which means the combat system will be getting some nice tuning soon. Also some new configuration options have been added for the team such as enabling/disabling multikey checks, user login time, etc.
2) Resource management has been fine tuned for the server. BYOND uses a garbage collector which assures that the server leaves no waste after it reboots (or is turned off), but what about while it's running? While it does a decent job, I've been making attempts to discover and recycle wasted resources the server doesn't catch. While I hope this will help minimize lag in the game, it's not certain whether or not this makes a huge difference. Recently this has been a huge thing with the 0.0.25 release and will continue to be huge as we move on in the game.
3) I've revised the core of the SR engine to handle idle times for users. Users will also never have to worry about saving their character, not that they did anyways. The amount of saving that
the system does has been drastically reduced which should reduce any lag it may have cost.
4) Logging system has been completely redone with the new SR engine. Logs should now give us a lot of information to track issues that may be causing problems in the game (such as lag)
5) Pwipes, although not confirmed, should be a thing of the past. Don't hold me to this, but it should be :)
6) SR now comes with a FileServer which will control file handling in the game. This can be extended to allow us to have multiple servers using the same file system.
7) SR will now serve web resources up locally, so your byond cache won't be filled with a bunch of mess. Before SR would save files in the cache with awkward names like _02af34_.sfo. Yea, that's fixed and forever gone.
8) Tons of bugs have been found, most major bugs have been fixed. A list of those bugs will not be released at this time, but much thanks to Chris, CrunkWarrior and Legendary Goku for helping me to track those down on the server. That includes issues found with the Inventory System, Quest System, Combat System, etc.
There will most likely be another huge update for the release of Dragonball Online 2 version 0.0.3, and as always we'll keep you updated on the discussion forums about what's going on. The next update will most likely provide some screenshots and possibly a video (provided by CrunkWarrior and Chris). Stay patient with us guys, we're working very hard to provide you one of the best games on BYOND and we don't want to disappoint anyone.