ID:132233
 
I feel that it would greatly benefit all programmers if there was a page in DM (similar to the skin reference) which covered what causes which errors and how to fix them. I know some fixes are obvious (Cannot create .null, inconsistent indentation) and I know that most people can fix these issues easily by finding their typo. But it would definitely be a good feature to have so that someone who is just starting out can reference their bug and look it up there quick and easy instead of relying on player response in dev forums.
+1 Nice idea that can easily benefit everyone.
This would be immeasurably convenient for programmers. I shall support this idea to the fullest of my ability.
In response to Solomn Architect (#2)
I had actually considered making one myself, but I had a hard time screwing up enough to where I got all of these errors, so I put the idea out hoping that those with far more experience than I could handle it.

I currently use this "Code Red" article for runtime errors, (even though I can usually see what went wrong myself) but, like I said, it'd be far more convenient to have a master list within DM. I'll volunteer to screw up a lot in DM if someone has the power to make this happen.

There used to be such an article in the Bwiki.
Make a feature request.
Doesn't sound too hard to make. The problem is the webpage for it =/
In response to DivineTraveller (#5)
I think this is the sort of thing that a user should create. We would then want to make it visible and accessible. We are in the middle of a fairly significant site update to the forums/blogs and one of the ideas we're mulling is a way to highlight useful developer resources in a manner that we don't have to maintain ourselves. Eg, a compromise between a chaotic wiki and an organized forum. This would include the ability to update reference entries through comments and to "sticky" useful posts such as the one you've suggested.
In response to Tom (#8)
I had a feeling that this would come down to player experience. You can't expect any one person to just pop out every error that can exist! I'm down with this.
In response to Tom (#8)
Tom wrote:
I think this is the sort of thing that a user should create. We would then want to make it visible and accessible.

It'd be much more useful to be able to press F1 in Dream Maker and get help about an error message. Making people aware of resources certainly helps, but it doesn't make these resources any more convenient.
I thought there was one for Compile Time errors, but I couldn't find it. I did find the one I was looking for, which seemed to be about Runtime Errors.

Hope that's still helpful to you anyway.
In response to Tiberath (#11)
Tiberath wrote:
I thought there was one for Compile Time errors, but I couldn't find it. I did find the one I was looking for, which seemed to be about Runtime Errors.

Hope that's still helpful to you anyway.


http://web.archive.org/web/20071021175348/http:// bwicki.byond.com/ByondBwicki.dmb?ErrorCodes
http://web.archive.org/web/20071021175441/http:// bwicki.byond.com/ByondBwicki.dmb?WarningPage
In response to Super Saiyan X (#12)
That is wonderful. I think that a page like that should be downloaded with BYOND.
In response to Super Saiyan X (#12)
Super Saiyan X wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071021175348/http:// bwicki.byond.com/ByondBwicki.dmb?ErrorCodes
http://web.archive.org/web/20071021175441/http:// bwicki.byond.com/ByondBwicki.dmb?WarningPage

That's actually pretty useful stuff. With this new site/forum update, we should have a specific section to support user-generated reference content like this.
In response to Tom (#14)
Tom wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071021175348/http:// bwicki.byond.com/ByondBwicki.dmb?ErrorCodes
http://web.archive.org/web/20071021175441/http:// bwicki.byond.com/ByondBwicki.dmb?WarningPage

That's actually pretty useful stuff. With this new site/forum update, we should have a specific section to support user-generated reference content like this.
Return of a BYOND semi-Bwicki?
In response to Super Saiyan X (#15)
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Return of a BYOND semi-Bwicki?

Based on what I've heard, I'd say it'll be easier to navigate than that.
In response to Tom (#14)
Tom wrote:
Super Saiyan X wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071021175348/http:// bwicki.byond.com/ByondBwicki.dmb?ErrorCodes
http://web.archive.org/web/20071021175441/http:// bwicki.byond.com/ByondBwicki.dmb?WarningPage

That's actually pretty useful stuff. With this new site/forum update, we should have a specific section to support user-generated reference content like this.

Will the user-generated reference content only be on the BYOND website, or will it be in Dream Maker's reference?
In response to Forum_account (#17)
Forum_account wrote:
Will the user-generated reference content only be on the BYOND website, or will it be in Dream Maker's reference?

Ideally we could do both, so we'll see what it takes to sync that. An alternative (or additional) idea would be to simply have a link to the web ref from within DM (most software does it this way nowadays) or maybe having each individual ref entry linkify itself so that it can be "expanded" to view the web version.