ID:153691
 
I get a kick out of making simple little java applets, so I got the idea of putting them in a game, as minigames kind of. If I wanted the applet to know your name, then I could have it passed to it as a parameter in the html. But, how could I have the applet tell DS something?
OneFishDown wrote:
I get a kick out of making simple little java applets, so I got the idea of putting them in a game, as minigames kind of. If I wanted the applet to know your name, then I could have it passed to it as a parameter in the html. But, how could I have the applet tell DS something?

In theory, to send data back you could have it try to open a URL starting with byond:// so that it will trigger client/Topic().

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR (#1)
Won't it trigger world.topic? THat's what i use for my inter server communication. (grant it they are both BYOND software)
In response to Exadv1 (#2)
From the reference, from the world.Topic() entry:

Called when a message is received from another server by using world.Export().

While client.Topic() says:

Called when a player connects to a world with a "connection topic" or when the player runs a hyperlink in the current world

Despite being named the same, they do different things. =)
In response to Crispy (#3)
Like all the best things in life. Like gas. Gas = petrol in american english, gas = not-very-dense matter.
In response to Hazman (#4)
Hazman wrote:
Like all the best things in life. Like gas. Gas = petrol in american english, gas = not-very-dense matter.

Gas is a diminutive of gasoline. The number of times fuel is a subject of conversation these days necessitates a short and simple term. Petrol is an unwieldy word -- and fuel isn't much better -- so I think of "gas" as a far superior way to refer to it in ordinary conversation.

In more formal speech, "gas" is almost slang, and should probably be avoided.
In response to Spuzzum (#5)
Spuzzum wrote:
Petrol is an unwieldy word

Oh, come on. One extra syllable. You North Americans are so lazy. =P
In response to Crispy (#6)
Crispy wrote:
Spuzzum wrote:
Petrol is an unwieldy word

Oh, come on. One extra syllable. You North Americans are so lazy. =P

It's not the syllable that makes it unwieldy, it's the multiple hard consonants. Gas has one hard consonant; petrol has three.
In response to Spuzzum (#7)
Nevertheless, you are lazy. =P

(And how are you meant to say "gas station" quickly without running it all together like "gastation"? =P )
In response to Crispy (#8)
Crispy wrote:
Nevertheless, you are lazy. =P

(And how are you meant to say "gas station" quickly without running it all together like "gastation"? =P )

I just normally say "I'm going to get gas". Gas station is still easier to pronounce than petrol station, anyway.

Maybe this'd be better off in Off Topic? =P
In response to Spuzzum (#9)
Spuzzum wrote:
Crispy wrote:
(And how are you meant to say "gas station" quickly without running it all together like "gastation"? =P )

I just normally say "I'm going to get gas".

Fair enough.

Gas station is still easier to pronounce than petrol station, anyway.

I don't think it is. But that's probably because I've been brought up saying "petrol station". =)

Maybe this'd be better off in Off Topic? =P

Probably. =P