@F0lak - oops. Pasted an old list. I'll fix it.

@WorleyBirdGames - Send donations to support@poplava.com

@Sponsors - I will also keep a running list of sponsors on all postings regarding the competition. If you have a logo I can work that in or I will use your profile picture.
ExPixel wrote:
I'm in :)

^
The only thing I still don't completely understand is the "Map-only" part
@Yut Put - BYOND is working on a Flash client which will be released in the foreseeable future. The initial release of the flash client won't support all the 4.0 interface stuff. This competition is directed at creating games which will be Flash client compatible.

In other words, no adding an interface.dmf file.

Another way to think about it is like this. Flash is like a big map. Everything including the UI are inside the map. When you develop your game for this competition, everything must be contained within the map.

It will be entirely possible for me to play multi-player BYOND games on my Android based mobile phone while taking the bus into work. I wouldn't want external interface stuff taking up precious screen space anyway.


I'm probably not going to participate then. I might develop something with ExPixel within that time frame, but I'm really not willing to use the default skin just so it can work on the flash client =\
@PopLava, @Yut Put: Why not just make a window filled with a map control?
ACWraith wrote:
@PopLava, @Yut Put: Why not just make a window filled with a map control?

You could probably do that with winset, but I prefer being able to work with the interface. It's more of a personal thing for me
PopLava wrote:
In other words, no adding an interface.dmf file.

Flash is like a big map. Everything including the UI are inside the map. When you develop your game for this competition, everything must be contained within the map.

This is an odd explanation that seems contradictory to me. If you don't include a custom interface, then your game will use the default DMF file, which is not just a big map. The default interface has big stat and verb panels, a rich text output, a browser (with support for pop-out windows), right-click context menues, a complex text input, and the top menus.

So which do you want: something like Casual Quest and Regressia, or something that looks pre-4.0 era?

Edit: Here's an idea. Make an interface file, and distribute it at the start of the event. Say that all games have to use that interface file.
Yut Put wrote:
I'm probably not going to participate then. I might develop something with ExPixel within that time frame, but I'm really not willing to use the default skin just so it can work on the flash client =\

You're not using the default skin. You're not using any interface aside from the map.

@PopLava - Why is interface a judge category if all the games are only going to be displaying the map. Unless you're judging HUD's and whatnot, then never mind. :)
Can it be a team of 2 effort?
EDIT
& does it have to be original?
Tom provided a screenshot here: Flash Client

While the Flash Client release will supposedly have 3.5 feature parity which means all the old ugly panels, it's not something we want to see on our mobile devices.

@IainPeregrine - I was actually in the middle of writing an example interface to help explain. :) I think providing it as a starting template for the competition is a great idea.

@MDC - I'm referring to whatever interface you create inside your map.

I'm plugging away on the example interface and will hopefully post it soon.
@ShadeCyberPlatinum -

- Can it be a team effort?
It can be a team of any number. You should declare your team captains early to avoid disputes later on.

- Does it have to be original?
Regardless of originality, it cannot use another person's intellectual property without their permission. If in doubt, get clarification sooner rather than later. Any entry found to violate the law will not be considered.

as i said on my blog i will precipitate in this contest
When will the theme be announced
DungeonDan wrote:
When will the theme be announced

- June 6th:
...
- Genre/Theme announced
'-_- thats to far away AWWWW
Okay I have a question.

You said no interfaces apart from the default dmf. This is well... Stupid because the default dmf has input/output, a verb panel and a map. Seeing as this is the case can I then use my own interface that only uses what the default dmf has but rearranged?

I ask because my design does not work with the default which means I simply will not enter this competition otherwise.

Oh and another thing, the default dmf is not just a big map so I don't know what you mean when you say everything has to be in the map. You're specifications are flawed.
Kyle_ZX wrote:
Okay I have a question.

You said no interfaces apart from the default dmf. This is well... Stupid because the default dmf has input/output, a verb panel and a map. Seeing as this is the case can I then use my own interface that only uses what the default dmf has but rearranged?

The reason given in the post was that by not using a custom interface, the game will work with BYOND's flash client (which is still in development). I imagine the flash client will support the default interface (at least the map and text output) because most games rely on text output in the message log.
@Kyle_ZX: The goal is simply to design games that will work in the Flash Client with little or no change.

I'm trying to hash out some more details around the requirements. I'll hopefully have more details and a template (if needed) within the next couple of days.

About the only change in the rules would be the addition of the output panel. I've been looking into ways to actually remove it so we just have a map but I haven't figured it out yet. It may not be possible. Anyone know better?
@DungeonDan: Gives us a little time to get the word out, collect donations, and to sort out any questionable rules.

can i have the theme early so i have a headstart because im a bad coder
Page: 1 2 3