In response to Ben G (#18)
Ben G wrote:
The research was done by different firms, so I'd imagine different results. Regardless, the point I'm proving is that marijuana is mainstream. I think that that's been proven pretty thoroughly.

Given that the statistics dispute that, your contention is at least a little bit in doubt.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR (#20)
Lummox JR wrote:
Ben G wrote:
The research was done by different firms, so I'd imagine different results. Regardless, the point I'm proving is that marijuana is mainstream. I think that that's been proven pretty thoroughly.

Given that the statistics dispute that, your contention is at least a little bit in doubt.

Lummox JR

Which statistics are those?
In response to Lummox JR (#2)
Pretty much every serious study has shown that smoking marijuana delivers twice as many tars as smoking a cigarette, so yes,

I've seen this statistic, too, but I've never seen any more qualifying information with it. Cigarettes are filtered, but marijuana rarely is... except in the case of water pipes (ie. bongs) which in theory remove more than paper filters. How was this study done? I'd be interested to see a study that compared all tobacco and marijuana filtered, unfiltered, and water filtered.
If filtered marijuana can be brought to tobacco levels of (relative) healthiness, this statistic really supports the legalization and regulation of marijuana more than anything else.
In response to nick.cash (#22)
I belive this has gone off-topic and should be locked the disscusion of "Mind-Altering Statistics" should really be done in a chatroom and the topic creator has only been told the same over and over.

*Wishs he was a mod*

(Yes i'm bored)
In response to Yorae (#23)
It would suck if you were a mod, because you'd have just seperated a topic from a topic that has already been seperated for going off the main topic.
In response to Yorae (#23)
I hope you never become a mod then. Mods tend to leave discussions up and going as long as there isn't a whole lot of flaming and it seems to be productive. A lot of discussions on the forums will change direction and sometimes topics entirely. That doesn't mean it HAS to be locked.
In response to Cavern (#19)
Where the hell do you live? Where I live, in America, police pull you over for some reason and when they find weed on you, they confiscate it and take you to jail. If they don't, they should not be police.

I live in Miami, so maybe it's a little different considering their are tons of drugs in Miami coming in from all over the place and maybe Miami Law Enforcement is a little more strict, but I doubt cops just tell you to go on your merry way when they find weed on you.

You also make your entire town sound like a bunch of lazy dumbasses. After all, that's the mental effect marijuana has on you, and if you know 80 kids that do it, it does make me wonder. I think you live under a rock with Roly Poly police. That, or you're smoking oregano.
In response to Ben G (#8)
Ben G wrote:
Alathon wrote:
Where exactly are you getting these statistics from?

The US Government.

A few are from http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/dcf/du.htm



ah, the honest people!
In response to Ben G (#5)
Lighting something on fire, sticking it in your mouth, and inhaling the smoke != healthy.

It's impossible to imagine a situation wherein that statement wouldn't be true. It's an extraordinary claim to say that of all the substances in the world that can burn, you can fill your lungs with the smoke from marijuana without consequences.

Your lungs were designed to breathe one specific type of atmosphere... the tiniest deviation from that can cause incremental damage. I'm familiar with the the "God made weed/pot is natural, so it must be good!" argument... but the smoke from a forest fire will still kill you.

As for marijuana being mainstream... sorry, no. It's not exactly radical or rare, but that doesn't make it mainstream. The number of people who've "tried" marijuana includes everybody who, at a party as teenagers or college students, had a hit off a bong or joint that was being passed around and then never touched it again. We might as well argue that homosexuality is and always has been mainstream because some massive percent of everybody compared their no-no bits with their friends as children.
In response to Popisfizzy (#24)
Popisfizzy wrote:
It would suck if you were a mod, because you'd have just seperated a topic from a topic that has already been seperated for going off the main topic.

I diden't mean to offend anyone i was only joking it would be too stressful if i was a byond mod.

Back to topic i think that everyone has a choise or not if they take such mind-altering drugs i mean its not forced on you to take them they are illegal but you have a choise to get your hands on them.
In response to Ben G (#1)
Ben G wrote:
SSJ2GohanDBGT wrote:
Marijuana is a hallucinogen, thusly making it more dangerous than alcohol. (Alcohol is bad, it's a depressant, but thinking the other car was a cookie and wanting it would probably be worse). Marijuana is also FAR worse for your lungs than cigarettes.

Er, uh, alcohol has more hallucinogenic effects than marijuana, and were that not true, alcohol is still more dangerous. How many people have died from marijuana overdoses?

I've never hallucinated when drinking alcohol, and I know Marijuana is classified as a hallucinogen right up there with LSD. I guess I fail to see your point.

Marijuana is also not worse from your lungs than cigarettes, even when smoked in the same amounts. However, many cigarette smokers smoke a pack or two a day - no one really smokes that much marijuana.

You have a point... most of smokers I do do a pack a day.

Still, the point remains, they are all bad habits. Trying to defend a bad habit really doesn't accomplish anything. Ultimately - it's bad.
In response to CaptFalcon33035 (#26)
It's a minor drug offence. Sending someone to jail over it will do more harm than good. Community service along with a possible fine would probably be the best option.
In response to DarkView (#31)
I still don't understand why they wouldn't take it and document this. People with multiple offendenses should be put in jail.
In response to DarkView (#31)
Oklahoma is well known for sending all drug abuses to jail. That is part of the reason why our jails and prisons are so crowded right now in Oklahoma.
In response to SSJ2GohanDBGT (#30)
Marijuana actually has very little actual hallucinogenic properties. I know the DARE cops and all say that it's extra dangerous because it's got properties of a hallucinogen, a stimulant, and a depressant, but the fact is it doesn't do much of any of those... it's not like LSD, meth, and barbiturates rolled into one. Your pulse races like you're on a stimulant, you mentally relax like you're on a depressant, and there's a general sense of disassociation like you're on a hallucinogen... but you don't "trip" or see things.

Don't get me wrong, I think the "pot is harmless!" camp is firmly deluded, but you're more likely to hallucinate from alcohol intoxication (or more particular, severe alcohol withdrawl) than you are from smoking marijuana. Alcohol isn't classed as a hallucinogen, but the "pink elephants" sequence in the Dumbo cartoon, if you've ever seen it, is based on many millenia of humanity's experience with serious drunks.

And the related idea that dealers lace pot with LSD to make it more addictive is pure crap. LSD is -less- habit forming than marijuana, and is destroyed by temperatures far less than that at which marijuana leaves burn.
In response to CaptFalcon33035 (#26)
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
I think you live under a rock with Roly Poly police. That, or you're smoking oregano.


That is the dumbest thing I ever heard.
In response to Revenant Jesus (#33)
Revenant Jesus wrote:
That is part of the reason why our jails and prisons are so crowded right now in Oklahoma.

That and some of the highest gang activity in the USA.
In response to Danial.Beta (#36)
Marijuana actually can make you hallucinate, however its extremely mild and you need to smoke atleast an ounce or two.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX (#37)
Xx Dark Wizard xX wrote:
Marijuana actually can make you hallucinate, however its extremely mild and you need to smoke atleast an ounce or two.


I'm assuming you are talking about an ounce or two a day. You do realize that is impossible right? Okay, one ounce is 28 grams, right? One gram = one blunt. Some people do not even use the entire gram for the blunt. I do, though. Smoking a blunt only gets you high for 45 minutes to an hour. Lets just say an hour. Now, lets say you smoke one blunt everytime the high ends. That would mean you have four grams left. So, the odds of hallucinating is rare. As a matter of fact, it may never happen. I do not even think you can hallucinate from marijuana.

Also, incase you are wondering, the biggest potheads in the world only smoke about four to six blunts a day.
In response to Cavern (#35)
It was a joke. <_<
Page: 1 2 3 4 5