So, I am a GM on a game on byond and I like to have a little fun with the players there. However, as a GM, it would be easy for me to abuse my power just for a laugh. I feel that I have drawn the line in correct places, but I thought I'd hear what others have to say on the matter of where they might draw the line.
Things I will do for fun:
- Temporarily Mute (typically for a period of 2 seconds.) I mainly do this one for the actual mute message.
- Make unnecessary GM announcements.
- Temporarily change players' names, although I don't do this one until the player and I somewhat know each other.
Other than that, I sometimes use the regular channels of communication to inform a player that I hate them for some random reason (typically something to do with their name).
Things I will NOT do for fun:
- Edit a player stats.
- Ban a player.
- Permanently mute a player.
As a GM, I hold myself to a fairly high standard and view it much more as a responsibility than a perk. (Granted, it is an internet responsibility, thus not bearing much weight of importance). However, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't be allowed to be myself. The players seem to enjoy a relaxed GM who has fun with them more than a Negative Nancy, or Rule-Enforcing Rodger, but it is always important to know where to draw the line.
- You do not need to be a GM to discuss this topic.
- I am not interested in becoming a GM on your game.